Prospective Tesla Owner in Nova Scotia

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
I'm hoping to become a Tesla owner in the near future (I'm waiting to see what the pickup trucks are going to look like and cost) and I have a few questions I'm hoping some Atlantic Canadians can help me with...

1) Can Teslas be serviced in NS? I know they don't require engine related service like gasoline engines, but where can you go in the case of repairs or a breakdown?
2) Have you experienced any problems that a gasoline vehicle wouldn't experience? Range/charging issues? Winter driving in snow/ice/salt?

I guess that's it for now. Thanks for your time.

PEIEVGUY

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hello Mark! Welcome to TOO!

On July 1st I took delivery of a SR+ in Prince Edward Island, but I think I can answer your questions.
1) Tesla’s Mobile Service Team does make trips out to the Maritimes. I know the owner of he first Model 3 on PEI who had service done while he was visiting Sydney, NS earlier this year. I believe the Mobile teams are currently operating out of Quebec but I did see a job posting in Halifax for new Tesla Mobile Service Techs. I assume they will be based out of there. I would like to hope that as more Tesla’s are delivered out here, sooner or later they will open a Service Centre for us in Eastern Canada.
For any major issue Tesla will ship your car to Quebec for repair. I know at least one owner who had then misfortune of having to do this. (It was an older Model S)

2) Until recently, having enough range to get around the Maritimes was a bit of an issue. However, Tesla has made great strides in improving the Supercharger Network. In addition to the locations in Aulac, and Lincoln (Fredericton) New Brunswick, they recently opened one in Enfield, NS just north of Halifax, AND they have plans for new locations in NB in Salisbury (Moncton), Quispamsis (Saint John) and Woodstock, near the US boarder.

Winter driving is winter driving. You will have the same experience as any other Tesla owner who lives in a cold climate. Keep it charged, and plan your trips accordingly.

Feel freer to PM any other questions you may have.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In the deepest of Alberta winter ~-40C, you lose approx 1/4-1/2 range. My 500km model 3 struggled to get 300km to visit parents outside of supercharge range, winter tires with aeros.

On the flip side, this heavy heavy car has a LOT of traction with proper tires in the winter and the instant torque means unfathomably good traction control. You start to slip in a corner and think you're gonna lose it and the carputer just replies via the tires "not today"...and you stay in line. It's awesome.

dlmgolfer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
PEIEVGUY - My wife and I have an upcoming trip where we'll be in both Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island over about an 8-day period in late September/early October. None of our hotels has a charger. We'll be with a group and there's a pre-planned itinerary, so we won't be able to wander off for a day and put our car (a Model 3) on a charger while we sight see. The three hotels we'll be at are in Charlottetown, Ingonish Beach, and Inverness. We're coming up from the US, and can plan on charging up at the appropriate one in Maine before coming into Canada.

Is this a trip that we can safely and without too much range anxiety handle in our new Tesla, or should we fall back and take the Subaru?

Lady Sprite Blue

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Try A Better Route Planner to see what your charging options might be. Also, look at the ChargePoint app which expends into Canada.

dlmgolfer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Will check out A Better Route Planner - a great find!

I've checked out ChargePoint and wasn't encouraged. Was hoping to hear that perhaps there were more chargers closer to where we were going to be than what seems to be indicated from our research. Have also spoken with people at the hotels and they are unaware of anything that could help us. Best case was for us to bring a long extension cord and charge up using their 120V outlets on the outside of their buildings.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Will check out A Better Route Planner - a great find!

I've checked out ChargePoint and wasn't encouraged. Was hoping to hear that perhaps there were more chargers closer to where we were going to be than what seems to be indicated from our research. Have also spoken with people at the hotels and they are unaware of anything that could help us. Best case was for us to bring a long extension cord and charge up using their 120V outlets on the outside of their buildings.
Plugshare shows 2 J1772"s on PEI, and several solutions around Halifax and Moncton. But Cape Breton appears to be a virtual charging desert.

dlmgolfer

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
FRC - Agreed. That's the real problem part of the trip - - close to 4000 miles in total but that missing chunk is probably going to ruin it for us. And we'll be driving too much around there each day to get by recharging at 4 miles or so per hour on a 120V line, assuming we can even find a place to plug in an extension cord. We saw the chargers on PEI but those were iffy as I believe they were designated for use by the hotel guests only (except for one at an auto dealership). But even if that part was okay, Cape Breton is the killer.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Are there any Provincial Parks around or RV parks where you can plug into a 14-50? You might check novascotia.goingtocamp.com There appear to be a few campgrounds with 30a service on Breton. Rv parks are a great solution, but I didn't look for them.

Just did a quick google search, there are numerous commercial RV parks. In my experience, they are happy to help for a nominal or no charge. Just make sure to make contact before you leave and have the appropriate adapters.

Last edited:

PEIEVGUY

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
PEIEVGUY - My wife and I have an upcoming trip where we'll be in both Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island over about an 8-day period in late September/early October. None of our hotels has a charger. We'll be with a group and there's a pre-planned itinerary, so we won't be able to wander off for a day and put our car (a Model 3) on a charger while we sight see. The three hotels we'll be at are in Charlottetown, Ingonish Beach, and Inverness. We're coming up from the US, and can plan on charging up at the appropriate one in Maine before coming into Canada.

Is this a trip that we can safely and without too much range anxiety handle in our new Tesla, or should we fall back and take the Subaru?
You'll be fine even if you have a SR+. The SuperChargers in Maine and New Brunswick will get you here easily.

Check out PlugShare for some Level 2 chargers (free!!) that are sprinkled around PEI. If none of those suits you, PM me directly and Ill give you my address where you can also get some (free!!) juice.

If your range anxiety is still a concern, I would suggest you look at buying the Tesla ChaDeMo adapter for you trip. There are DCFCs in New Brunswick now and plans for 6 here on the Island.

PiperPaul

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm hoping to become a Tesla owner in the near future (I'm waiting to see what the pickup trucks are going to look like and cost) and I have a few questions I'm hoping some Atlantic Canadians can help me with...

1) Can Teslas be serviced in NS? I know they don't require engine related service like gasoline engines, but where can you go in the case of repairs or a breakdown?
2) Have you experienced any problems that a gasoline vehicle wouldn't experience? Range/charging issues? Winter driving in snow/ice/salt?

I guess that's it for now. Thanks for your time.
Sorry I didn't see this earlier....
Some adds & updates:
  • I just had Mobile Service visit my car (Lunenburg area) for a rattle; first service call in a year of ownership & 17,700 Km.
  • Cody, the Service Rep, was very personable and knowledgeable, did a thorough job, test drive, & answered my endless questions
  • Also installed a cold weather upgrade for the charging port
  • He seems to be THE REP for the Maritimes & talked about getting parts inventory established for the Maritimes, and the possibility of arranging agreements with local garages where hoists etc. might be needed
  • I've also talked to my favourite local garage about possible tire changes etc., and built my own set of hockey puck lift points in case they are needed
  • I'm still running the original tires; if I had to drive in snow/ice conditions I would get winter tires. Happily, I don't need to drive my M3 in bad conditions.
  • We did a Cape Breton trip a month ago. It's a desert for charging options, but I did find a public Flo charger at an Inn in Baddeck.
  • Plugshare and Flo sites are helpful for planning trips as well as the car trip planner. Unfortunately, the only Supercharger in NS is the one @PEIEVGUY pointed out in Enfield.
  • In NS I'm aware of another M3 in the Lunenburg area, a couple with an S and a 3 also in Mahone Bay area, and there's a few I understand in Halifax and Truro
@markthehare Did you get yours?

Country
Country
Thank you everyone for their replies... I've placed a deposit on a Cybertruck, and I'm trying to convince my wife to get a Model Y when they come out.

That's going to be a year or more away, so I'm thinking the charging and service infrastructure will be more established by then.

Best of luck to all and I hope to see you out and about.

PEIEVGUY

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank you everyone for their replies... I've placed a deposit on a Cybertruck, and I'm trying to convince my wife to get a Model Y when they come out.

That's going to be a year or more away, so I'm thinking the charging and service infrastructure will be more established by then.

Best of luck to all and I hope to see you out and about.
Tesla did announce this month that at least 2 more SuperChargers are planned for Nova Scotia, and our very first here on Prince Edward Island!