Proof of Insurance w/o VIN?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hey guys, noob here. I'm sure many have run into this before me, and I searched, but can't seem to find the answer. I placed an order on Friday, and in my account, it's asking for proof of insurance, and states that the Model 3 must be listed. Obviously, I don't have a VIN yet, and may not for quite some time. What should I do?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey guys, noob here. I'm sure many have run into this before me, and I searched, but can't seem to find the answer. I placed an order on Friday, and in my account, it's asking for proof of insurance, and states that the Model 3 must be listed. Obviously, I don't have a VIN yet, and may not for quite some time. What should I do?
Just upload your current insurance card. You will never have proof of insurance in your Model 3 until you have a VIN.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd suggest calling your agent and asking for a rider to cover the new car. Once you get the new car, they can then add it.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just put my order in for a MR last night, and am super excited, and hoping for delivery before 12/31. I'm trying to go through the check list (even though I know it wont really make my delivery happen any faster) and don't know what I can do for proof of insurance since I live in Massachusetts and we don't get insurance cards. Our proof of insurance is just on our registrations. Should I take a picture of that to upload? Any current owners in Mass have any insight?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just put my order in for a MR last night, and am super excited, and hoping for delivery before 12/31. I'm trying to go through the check list (even though I know it wont really make my delivery happen any faster) and don't know what I can do for proof of insurance since I live in Massachusetts and we don't get insurance cards. Our proof of insurance is just on our registrations. Should I take a picture of that to upload? Any current owners in Mass have any insight?
Congrats on placing your order!

For proof of insurance, I just uploaded a PDF of my current policy documents, which I simply downloaded from my provider (MAPFRE / Commerce). If that's an easy option for you, I'd go with that.

Ultimately, I think all Tesla cares about is that you have a current policy. So, it's possible that seeing the name of your insurer on your registration could be sufficient, provided it matches the insurance information you provide to Tesla later in the process. Worst case, when your Delivery Advisor reaches out to you, they'll provide you with more specific guidance on what they need.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats on placing your order!

For proof of insurance, I just uploaded a PDF of my current policy documents, which I simply downloaded from my provider (MAPFRE / Commerce). If that's an easy option for you, I'd go with that.

Ultimately, I think all Tesla cares about is that you have a current policy. So, it's possible that seeing the name of your insurer on your registration could be sufficient, provided it matches the insurance information you provide to Tesla later in the process. Worst case, when your Delivery Advisor reaches out to you, they'll provide you with more specific guidance on what they need.
Awesome, thanks. That's what I was thinking about doing, and knowing that it worked for others is helpful. I'm sure that delivery will depend mostly on order date and configuration availability, but I figure it can't hurt to complete all of the tasks in my to-do list (I'm also just over-excited).

SR22pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
State Farm said I had 30 days after receiving the vehicle to register it with them. Until then I was covered under the policy with no issues. They didn't even want to make the change until I had the car even though I had the VIN.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
State Farm said I had 30 days after receiving the vehicle to register it with them. Until then I was covered under the policy with no issues. They didn't even want to make the change until I had the car even though I had the VIN.
I wonder if that would be the same for me. Though I doubt it since mass requires plates on the car to drive it off the lot and you can't get a registration without insurance. I guess I could call my insurance agent and ask.