Production line sabotage

Country
Country
Crazy sad reminder that there’s lots of Tesla haters out there and some who would stoop so low as to create such desperate sabotage. IMHO this is yet another form of terrorism. Now that Tesla is on the cusp of achieving a critical milestone with the Model 3 the shorts have much to lose.

I hope the law brings justice to this situation and that Tesla’s success has become unstoppable!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't get too conspiratorial. All indications so far point to a disgruntled employee and nothing more.

Most of the shorts are "true believers" - they really feel that Tesla will fail, and no outside influence on their part is necessary.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Yeah, I'd give it 80% odds of being nothing more than a disgruntled employee.

Still, the 20% possibility needs to be properly investigated. Hopefully the police will search his home/computer/phone and subpoena records where needed to figure out whether he was in touch with anyone questionable, and figure out who he sent the data to.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder if this is related to the battery production issues a few months ago due to bad programming of one of the robots

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Don't get too conspiratorial. All indications so far point to a disgruntled employee and nothing more.
The evidence we have is almost nothing, not enough to make a determination whether it's sabotage or simply a disgruntled employee. If it's a concerted effort involving outside payment then, of course, the busted party is going to try to minimize the seriousness of the crime by simply saying they did it for personal reasons. Therefore all we know is the sabotage happened, we can't put any credibility into the perpetrators stated motive (unless we had more detail to go on).

We can ask whether it would be more likely for outside interests with millions (or billions) at stake to offer payment to a low paid worker or whether an employee that wanted a promotion that they didn't get would feel such an action would be productive. My money goes with the former.

Most of the shorts are "true believers" - they really feel that Tesla will fail, and no outside influence on their part is necessary.
True, but many of the shorts are short via dated options. They lose 100% of their bet if the share price is too high at expiration. And many shorts were so arrogant in their conviction that Tesla was going down, and going down sooner rather than later, that they placed very big bets, bets they couldn't afford to lose. Many of them are sitting in very untenable positions right now.

Some of the shorts have more to lose than simply money. They have published repeated opinions that hundreds of others have relied upon before establishing their short position. Not only is money at stake but reputations and even careers. And arrogant people don't like to be wrong. Say you have published 30 negative and misleading articles on Tesla in an attempt to make your short position worth something and yet, it has no effect. That must be frustrating - to work so hard and to be ignored. So I would say there is a lot more motivation for sabotage than there is for a disgruntled employee. One scenario is potentially productive for the perpetrator and the other scenario is counter-productive to the goals of the employee. You are more likely to be promoted if you do good work and the company thrives. If it goes bankrupt, not only do you not get a raise, you lose your job. I realize not all people are normal and rational but most are.

Conspiracies happen all the time and human history is full of known conspiracies as well as undiscovered conspiracies. Most conspiracies are likely never discovered or proven because those who carry them out have a vested interest in remaining undiscovered. It's not typically something to be proud of.

Sealander

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The good news is that at least they have identified the individual and will hopefully find out more with a thorough investigation. Hopefully they were able to get production going again without too much damage or delay.

I like Elon's comment which sounds like they are already back on track.

"Looking forward to having a great week with you as we charge up the super exciting ramp to 5000 Model 3 cars per week!"

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The recently announced lawsuit against the individual is no doubt intended to get him to reveal the sources he sent all the data to. Then we'll see if this is just one disgruntled employee or something more sinister.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like Elon was saying if there is one bad apple per 1,000 and there are 40,000 employees total, then he is looking at 40 bad apples...:eek:...so wondering if this individual acted alone or he has buddies that will do or have done bad things. I am also curious as to whom the data were sent to.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Looks like Elon was saying if there is one bad apple per 1,000 and there are 40,000 employees total, then he is looking at 40 bad apples...:eek:...so wondering if this individual acted alone or he has buddies that will do or have done bad things. I am also curious as to whom the data were sent to.
Given the nature of some of the charges levelled against him, it would appear his intent was to harm the share price (exaggerating the waste, etc.). So, probably working in concert with some short-sellers.