Problems with Horn?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Does anyone have a problem getting the horn to work?

My horn requires a significant amount of DIRECT pressure right in the center. Although, the center horn piece seems to have a rocker/pivot mechanism top to bottom, which would make me think that one should be able to apply a small amount of pressure on the lower part of the center horn piece and have it activate.

Mine no.

How does your horn work?

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I can get it to honk but it is a significant amount of pressure directly in the center of the wheel.
I've not noticed anything like that with mine @tivoboy, it could be worth it to send a service note in to Tesla.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I've noticed the same. Requires quite a bit of pressure and directly in the center of the wheel. It's impossible to do a quick "tap tap" of the horn. There is also a noticeable delay between when the horn is pressed and when the horn sounds.
yep, exactly as mine operates. I'll do a tap tap to quickly alert someone sometime or try and draw someones attention, but it's really not possible the way the horn mechanism is working currently.

Either both ours are not working correctly, or it's as designed.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This! There seems to be a somewhat aggressive switch de-bounce going on with the horn. It's difficult to give a friendly toot.
The same goes for the power window switches, but that's another thread.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
What is odd is that the center horn mechanism DOES have a very nice rocker feature, where the bottom can subtly be pressed with just a small amount of pressure on the bottom six oclock section. But, it doesn't appear to actuate the horn at all.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
What is the question?
We're confused as to why someone would want flashing their high beams to honk their horn. Seems sort of like suggesting a change in behavior so that when someone adjusts their seat, the wipers turn on. Or that so when they step on the accelerator, the steering wheel moves up.

Who would want their horn to honk every time they flash their high beams? Is it really hard to honk the horn if you need to? Just seems weird, that's all. Aka, "???" :)

telero

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
We're confused as to why someone would want flashing their high beams to honk their horn. Seems sort of like suggesting a change in behavior so that when someone adjusts their seat, the wipers turn on. Or that so when they step on the accelerator, the steering wheel moves up.
That's a really bad comparison. Honking your horn and flashing your high beams are both attention getting devices. One is audio and one is visual, but they are both about getting attention and/or giving warning. The seat/wipers and accelerator/steering wheel are not related in the same way.

I was confused why you would want the horn to sound when you wanted to flash the high beams? Generally, the two different events are not wanted at the same time.
See above, both are attention getting events.

Is it really hard to honk the horn if you need to?
According to the OP and others, yes it is:

My horn requires a significant amount of DIRECT pressure right in the center...one should be able to apply a small amount of pressure on the lower part of the center horn piece and have it activate.
Requires quite a bit of pressure and directly in the center of the wheel. It's impossible to do a quick "tap tap" of the horn.
There seems to be a somewhat aggressive switch de-bounce going on with the horn. It's difficult to give a friendly toot.
The Chevy Volt has a pedestrian horn that is activated on the end of their stalk since when in electric mode the car is quite quiet. The Spark EV doesn't have that same horn activation on the stock, but does honk with the momentary high beam flash.