Problem making and receiving phone calls with iPhone 8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had Model 3 about 1 week. I am having intermittent problems using my phone (iPhone 8 with iOS 11.2.5) to answer and make phone calls.
The phone app works fine to lock/unlock car and control other features. I can listen to music from my phone via Bluetooth, although at first this was an issue too (phone was connected but music could not be heard on car speakers), then it started working.
The issue is currently only with phone calls. The phone connects to the car without any problem. However,
  • When I make a call it calls the number ok and the call rings audibly in the car, but when the person answers the voice doesn’t come through the car speakers, rather it switches to the phone speakers (which I can’t hear) even though on the phone it shows that Tesla Model 3 is the chosen speaker. Or when it isn't on Model 3, it won't allow me to select this option for sound output from the menu on my phone.
  • When I receive a call, I press the green call answer button (multiple times), but it doesn’t answer, and then the call is lost

This has happened multiple times. Occasionally it works ok, but intermittently the problem recurs. Does anyone know what the problem could be and how should I try to resolve it? Is this something that will need Tesla Service?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I have an issue (started another thread) with my phone disappearing from the car.

I called Tesla support and they said there is a known issue with iOS 11 and Tesla BT and they’ll have a fix soon.

In my case the workaround that they provided was to disable contact sharing via the BT connection on your phone. Worth a shot on your issue...

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have an odd iphone 6s and 8 problem. Sometimes when I enter my Model 3, the screen reports a call from my iphone. It will not let me hang up. I have to turn off BT or turn off the phone to clear the "call". This blocks media and use of the phone. This happened a few times in the past with Ford MyfordTouch also. I checked my settings and can find no cause. Ideas?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Any updates on this one? I can make and receive calls with no issue, the problem is the person on the other end of the line can't hear my voice... has anyone had this problem?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Any updates on this one? I can make and receive calls with no issue, the problem is the person on the other end of the line can't hear my voice... has anyone had this problem?
I’ve had some difficulty with the phone not being loud enough on my end at max volume but no issues like you’re describing reported on the other end.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I cannot get my phone to reliably stay connected.

Called my wife. Connected fine

Called my mom. Audio switched to handset. Tried 10 times, even called mix of cell and landline with no luck.

Happened again on my way home tonight for a business call. Had to use my headphones to complete the call...

Fingers crossed it gets fixed soon.

Umar Sear

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have issues with my Samsung S7 Edge to the point that I have currently given up. Connects and disconnects constantly.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just picked up my Model 3 today. Paired the phone at the shop and all seemed good. Received a call while driving home and the call worked just as expected. Tried to make a call after another stop and the call could be made from the contact list that was synced up with the iPhone 8+, but the audio on the call would be on the phone itself, not through the speakers of the car. All the data for the call was still visible in the lower left corner, volume was all the way up on the steering wheel, just not audio. Have not had a successful call since. Have tried making them and receiving them. You always hear the call "ringing" through the speakers, but as soon as it connects, the audio goes to the phones speaker and away from the Tesla cabin speakers. Will try some of the other suggestions on the other threads and see what happens.

Bibs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had a couple instances of the other person hearing a strong echo, as well. Had to hang up and call back, with 50/50 improvements. Iphone 8.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
iPhone 8 plus my end sounds fine but the person on the other end hears their own voice echoing
I’ve had the same problem. Doesn’t always happen but fairly consistently. I feel with the lastest update, 62.1, it’s slightly better but not completely gone.

Umar Sear

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had some success and this might help others. I basically un-checked the option to sync the call history and contacts and the phone audio and media seem to work fine ...

chipsajoy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just picked up my Model 3 today. Paired the phone at the shop and all seemed good. Received a call while driving home and the call worked just as expected. Tried to make a call after another stop and the call could be made from the contact list that was synced up with the iPhone 8+, but the audio on the call would be on the phone itself, not through the speakers of the car. All the data for the call was still visible in the lower left corner, volume was all the way up on the steering wheel, just not audio. Have not had a successful call since. Have tried making them and receiving them. You always hear the call "ringing" through the speakers, but as soon as it connects, the audio goes to the phones speaker and away from the Tesla cabin speakers. Will try some of the other suggestions on the other threads and see what happens.
I've been having the same issue off and on with calls not connecting to "Model 3" via bluebooth but rather having to turn on the speaker phone. I'd have to disable/enable bluetooth when that happens every time. It's annoying and not safe while driving. I have an iPhone 7.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been having the same issue off and on with calls not connecting to "Model 3" via bluebooth but rather having to turn on the speaker phone. I'd have to disable/enable bluetooth when that happens every time. It's annoying and not safe while driving. I have an iPhone 7.
Had the same problem this morning when a call in-progress did not correctly switch over to the Model 3. (I have a Samsung Galaxy S8, not an iPhone, FWIW.) Cycling Bluetooth on the phone triggered the Model 3 to pick up the call, though the call duration remained "0:00" the entire time.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm having a similar problem, a Google Pixel XL and a new Model 3. The Bluetooth pairing resets over and over, calls hop back and forth between the car and the cellphone. Also, I can't get the Contacts or Call History to upload, just "Preparing to Upload" with spinning circles. I've fiddled and fiddled, tried different combinations and I can't get the cellphone and car to pair properly. My wife's iPhone 6 paired right up and works great, no problems. Very frustrating, the Pixel is my access to the car ... any suggestions?

Umar Sear

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm having a similar problem, a Google Pixel XL and a new Model 3. The Bluetooth pairing resets over and over, calls hop back and forth between the car and the cellphone. Also, I can't get the Contacts or Call History to upload, just "Preparing to Upload" with spinning circles. I've fiddled and fiddled, tried different combinations and I can't get the cellphone and car to pair properly. My wife's iPhone 6 paired right up and works great, no problems. Very frustrating, the Pixel is my access to the car ... any suggestions?
Try disabling the contact sync, that seems to be the feature that is causing the issue.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, disabling Contact & Call History Sync allows the M3 and Pixel XL to sync. Music streaming and basic cellphone works.
OK as temporary fix but I need cellphone contacts & history. Georgia is now hands-free and I don't do voice control.
Talked with Google/Pixel Support, they suggested Safe Mode and then a complete cellphone reset to clear out any malware (!!)
Tried re-booting the Pixel XL in Safe Mode (disables non-native apps) but the Bluetooth sync problem persists.
Called Tesla Support and left a callback request (50 minute wait) but they didn't call (it was late ...)
(I'm actively working with Tesla Support, they have escalated the problem ... 11/14/2018)

Last edited: