Prevalence of the frunk not opening

Have you needed Service to work on Frunk not opening?

• Total voters

JCE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We’ve had a Model 3 for the the past 9 months and haven’t had any issues but have heard several people reporting how their frunk remains locked and essentially needs a service appointment to open and repair.

I was wondering what the actual prevalence of this problem is or if people know what the underlying issue with the car is?

We don’t really use the frunk all that much-but going on a trip and could use the extra space but don’t want anything stuck it here!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We’ve had a Model 3 for the the past 9 months and haven’t had any issues but have heard several people reporting how their frunk remains locked and essentially needs a service appointment to open and repair.

I was wondering what the actual prevalence of this problem is or if people know what the underlying issue with the car is?

We don’t really use the frunk all that much-but going on a trip and could use the extra space but don’t want anything stuck it here!
with people recently replacing the spring, there are some people that have had this issue (but totally self inflicted). Other than those, I can only recall a single owner having this issue with one of the early cars. You may be able to find something posted hear about a year+ ago.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some people out of the 500,000 on the road?

You are definitely much more likely to be in an accident before the frunk doesn't open.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Because if this possible but very improbable scenario, I treat the frunk like checked baggage. I don't put anything in there that I can't live without. Like the Mobile Charger, for instance.

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car was built in March 2018 and my secondary latch failed in end of August 2018 (frunk would pop up a little, but not fully open). Mobile service ordered a replacement solenoid and came to my house to install it. The replacement solenoid was a newer revision than my original (revision -C vs -A), and presumably fixes the issue. It would make sense that all cars since then have the newer revision solenoids for the front latches and will not have any issues.

Foxtrotter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Our April 18 build had its front latch fail after a few months. Our August build has had no problems. It appears that they fixed something in between. I have no concerns about the frunk opening now and use them all the time on both of our cars.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For those who experienced a latch failure, how often had you been using your frunk? I never use mine. June 2018 build.
based on @android04's post above, have you checked the part number on your latch solonoid? I expect by the june builds, they had already moved to a new version from the original "A" part.

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I opened it up and checked to see ... I see part number 1033011-00-E... does that mean they were on revision E, or am I looking at the wrong part?
Edit: I googled that part number and it looks like you are looking at the actual latch mechanism. That's not the right part. The primary and secondary solenoids are located one to the left and one to the right of the latch. They look like small electric motor with a 8" (guessing from memory) black cable that goes to the latch mechanism. When a solenoid is activated, it pulls the steel cable inside the black sheath and pulls on a part of the latch mechanism. Only way to see the solenoids and part numbers is to remove the front lower air dam, the frunk tub, or a wheel well liner.

I would say to anybody not to be afraid to use the frunk. You either have a revised part number or you don't and will get the newest revision if it fails. If it fails within the 50,000 mile warranty, you get it replaced for free.

Last edited:

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Service told me, a bit back, there was an issue with the frunk latch but at that time my car was fine so they just moved on..