Preferred charging power at home + best practices

What would you consider a better practice to prevent battery degradation on long roundtrips?

• Charging all the way to 100% at 4KW when leaving home.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Charging to 90% at 4KW and using a 150KW supercharger to charge battery from 30% to 50%.

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

PeterW_R

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Greetings,

I have a Tesla wall connector that supplies 4KW to my Long range Model 3 right now. It draws current from my three-phase power at home. Increasing power meant upgrading the plan from my spanish electric company (and its very expensive). 4KW seems to suit my needs but I've noticed that this power level is just a little bit more than the supplied by Shuko connectors (3KW), and I've read somewhere that charging at this low power can be detrimental to long livespam of my model 3 hardware.

Could you please tell me if this is true? if so, I would consider stepping up to 6KW (I could do more but its much more expensive).

Lastly, could you please tell me what would you consider a better practice to prevent battery degradation on long roundtrips:
A) Charging all the way to 100% at 4KW when leaving home.
B) Charging at home to 90% at 4KW and using a 150KW supercharger to charge battery from 30% to 50%.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
as long as you are not leaving a battery at 100% sitting, it doesn't make much difference if you are getting a charge from your home or supercharger.

for time efficiency, for road trips, it makes most sense to arrive at any superchargers at a lower state of charge, and only charge enough to reach the next supercharger.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Greetings

As always, the answer is 'it depends'.

For longevity: You want to spend the least time possible at very high >90% and <10%.
You want to charge at <1c, which every level 1 and level 2 charge rate is way below. For a LR model that's 75kW...so only 5-10% of the recommended.
You want to spend the least time supercharging. Supercharge runs at 0.5-3.5c (after the update)...

If you need all 100% for the road trip, charge to 100% at home, but only shortly before the trip.
If it's only for a short time (right as you leave) that the battery is 100%, then do that route...and only rely on the supercharger as needed.