Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts
They do however allow to contribute to 401k as AFTER TAX, which can be rolled into the Roth as a "back-end rollover?", which I don't fully understand yet.
Mine does too. And you can do that with additional funds above & beyond the normal 401k limit.

Most 401k's allow you to take a loan from your funds, and you pay yourself back with interest. So, I think that's a conceivable temporary option. Make the payments until you get the tax credit, then repay in full.

However, at 1.5% to 2.5% interest, a car loan is probably some of the cheapest money you're going to get loaned to you. If you have a higher interest rate loan (student loans, equity line, credit cards), IMHO you're much better off paying down your highest interest loan with the tax credit instead of your lowest interest loan.
Not the best route as you essentially pay tax twice. The "loan" is payed with post tax earnings, then gets taxed again at withdrawal.

Not the best route as you essentially pay tax twice. The "loan" is payed with post tax earnings, then gets taxed again at withdrawal.
You're repaying a loan, and any loan you repay is with post tax dollars. You can't really start your tax analysis in the middle of the equation without accounting for the dollars being pretax in the first place. The original money you put in was pretax dollars and the money you pull out at the end of the day is taxed. You are taking a withdrawal/loan out and repaying it. Plus this is a bridge loan to get you through a few months. You're not paying +/-30% income tax on $7,500 twice anyway you slice it.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.