PPF on the entire car?

theloneranger08

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been doing a lot of research lately on PPF and I'm definitely going to get it put on my Model 3. I initially wanted to cover the entire car, but I've spoken to many people saying that it's not necessary. Thoughts everyone?

Also, I think I'm going to go with 3M scotchgard. I'm going to have a red model 3. Any issues with that?

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm getting my whole car done. I plan to keep the car ten or more years. It's the most expensive thing I may ever own other than my house (or education). We'll be driving it 12k-15k miles a year and that includes in a lot of gravel roads (we use this in the winter instead if salt). To me, it's worth it.

You must do your research in shops. Quality varies a lot, as can price. The shop we went with was not the cheapest, but their quality seemed best.

There are as many arguments for full as there are for partial. You have to think of how long you'll have the car and how you will drive it.

Trail Runner

I'm getting a full front wrap with side mirrors by Xpel Ultimate. I might also get the rocker panels done to protect from gravel and rocks. I'll get Opti Coat Pro Ceramic coating on entire car and wheels with Opti glass on all glass. I'm keeping car for at least ten years and really want to protect. The doors will be a little more vulnerable to door dings without ppf there but I have been fortunate so far over the years. They also use gravel here in the winter.

Impatient

Country
Country
When I got my Model S, I went to a very highly regarded wrap place that hand wraps and tucks every edge (as opposed to using templates that have fewer wrapped and more exposed edges). Because it was so labor intensive and therefore more expensive, I elected to wrap only the front end (all the way to the A pillars), the mirrors, and the roof. That wrap has protected those portions of the car really nicely.

However, when washing the S over the past few years, I've often wished I had taken a different approach and wrapped the entire car, even if my budget required me to go somewhere a bit cheaper. I decided that I'd rather have the entire car wrapped "well" than just have part of it wrapped "perfectly."

So, when we got our Model 3 a few weeks ago, that's what I did. I sought out someone who wrapped the entire 3 for not much more than it cost the super high end wrap place to wrap just the front of the S. The edges of the wrap aren't invisible in some places (i.e., some don't wrap under the panel edges) and there are other, very subtle, signs that the PPF was cut on a plotter and then applied, rather than coming entirely from a roll and hand trimmed, but I'm very happy to have the entire car wrapped, knowing that the doors, trunk lid, etc. are also protected.

Obviously, in an ideal world I would have the entire car wrapped by the perfectionist guy, but this is reality and just having the entire car wrapped is a huge peace of mind, even if there are very subtle differences in quality.

Impatient

Country
Country
$6k for a fully hand trimmed, custom wrap with all the edges wrapped.
$4k for a plotter cut, template based job that wraps some, but not all of the edges.

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So wrap for me. This thread convinced me.
I really want red, but the multicoat red seems too dark. It doesn't have the "Please ticket me" red color.
Maybe I need white, with flames...

NJturtlePower

Living the Dream, Driving the Future!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been doing a lot of research lately on PPF and I'm definitely going to get it put on my Model 3. I initially wanted to cover the entire car, but I've spoken to many people saying that it's not necessary. Thoughts everyone?

Also, I think I'm going to go with 3M scotchgard. I'm going to have a red model 3. Any issues with that?
Not necessary, overkill and not worth the expense IMO. 10% of the price of the car for full PPF...NOPE!

Do the front bumper, maybe mirrors, door sills and a strip by the trunk at most as those at the high traffic/prone areas of ANY car. IF you still have the car 5-10 years down the road it would still be cheaper to have the front end painted than full PPF.

If this was a P100D, a Lambo, something hand built or classic that might a different story. :rolleyes:

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My dream would be to wrap the car in XPEL stealth. But....it's simply too expensive for me. Especially after buying this car that costs more than all the other cars i've previously owned combined. I'm getting a high end ceramic coating instead. I get that it won't protect the same way a wrap will, but the extra layer and not having to wax the car and the ease of cleaning it is worth it to me.

theishu

Dream Car Unlocked
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My dream would be to wrap the car in XPEL stealth. But....it's simply too expensive for me. Especially after buying this car that costs more than all the other cars i've previously owned combined. I'm getting a high end ceramic coating instead. I get that it won't protect the same way a wrap will, but the extra layer and not having to wax the car and the ease of cleaning it is worth it to me.
Can someone please explain the ceramic VS wrap? Sorry if this was discussed at length elsewhere, I’ve mostly been seeing threads where both were discussed as a combined package.

theloneranger08

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah many people have told me it's not really worth $5k on a Model 3. I'm 25 and this will be the first car I've ever bought. Already spending $55k on just the car so another $5k might be too much right now. I got a quote for $1300 for 3M PPF installation that covers the entire front of the car plus the rocker panels. That should be good enough for the time being.

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can someone please explain the ceramic VS wrap? Sorry if this was discussed at length elsewhere, I’ve mostly been seeing threads where both were discussed as a combined package.
Ceramic Coating is basically a clear ceramic coat that goes over your paint. It makes the car easy to clean, protects it much like a wax would, but is harder and lasts longer (typical "Warranty" on ceramic coats in 2 years). Helps maintain the "showroom shine". It offers some protection against scratches/rock chips but not near to the level of a paint protection film. I've seen quotes for Ceramic coating from $1000-$1500, including a "paint correction" (basically they make sure all the factory paint defects/light scratches/swirls are gone)

PPF wrap is literally a layer of plastic that is installed over your car. The big advantage of this is that it does a much better job against scratches and rock chips. Lighter scratches will "Self heal" on the plastic when exposed to sun light. Often times people will do a PPF then add the ceramic coat on top of the PPF. "Partial Wraps" (just doing the front of the car) Start at around ~1000 and full wraps go up to $6000-7000 depending.

bab5freak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah many people have told me it's not really worth $5k on a Model 3. I'm 25 and this will be the first car I've ever bought. Already spending $55k on just the car so another $5k might be too much right now. I got a quote for $1300 for 3M PPF installation that covers the entire front of the car plus the rocker panels. That should be good enough for the time being.
@theloneranger08 can you share where you got that quote? Does that include the full hood?