Power out

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

RocketRay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One more thing: I was reading elsewhere that someone used their Tesla to power their home during the power outages in northern California during fire season.

Does anyone here know what is needed to do that? It'd be nice to at least keep the refrigerator on when there's a blackout.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw a news story on TV up here during the PG&E outage and the person in the video was using an inverter plugged into the 12V ("cigarette lighter") outlet of her Tesla, so based on the output rating of the inverter, you're somewhat limited as far as what you can keep powered-up with it.

I recently bought a 12V portable refrigerator/freezer "ice chest" that I can use during the next power outage. I can power it with my Goal Zero Yeti 400 for up to 16 hours. If power stays out longer than that, I can keep the fridge going on the Tesla's 12V outlet (no need for inverter). Meanwhile, weather permitting, I'll recharge the Yeti with their Boulder 100 Briefcase Solar Panel