Power Frunk is a reality!!!

airbutchie

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They (Tesla Offer) gave us the power trunk aftermarket product... Now they've upped their game and gave use the POWER FRUNK product!!! And it has 'soft close', too!!! Woot woot... Thanks TeslaRaj for the product install and review!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice to see a plug and play kit. Now if only someone will release a close-only version (hopefully cheaper)
+1
All I really want is soft-close. I want it to pull tight & latch automatically when I lower the hood the whole way down. I'd actually prefer manual opening - I just hate that final push to latch it.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
+1
All I really want is soft-close. I want it to pull tight & latch automatically when I lower the hood the whole way down. I'd actually prefer manual opening - I just hate that final push to latch it.

Hate is a strong word but, otherwise, I agree that the complexity of this mod exceeds the common need and concern.

I don’t have a kid on each hip so I’m not the one for whom auto opens were designed and, whether stowing or extracting, I’ve rarely been unable to put something down (or juggle) in order to close. What I really want is the soft close (without 15 miles of wiring and a control box) in order to reduce fingerprints and/or dents in the aluminum.

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I watched the video and thought this was awesome... then I looked at the price. For $500, I'll keep opening and closing the old fashion way. Looks like a nice setup.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I love their power liftgate, it is awesome and should have been an option from Tesla. It took me about 6 hours to install. Tesla Offer was very helpful with my mid-install questions and responded very quickly. But still it was a lot of work to set it up right. It was worth all that effort because I use the trunk almost daily.

I am not sure it makes sense for the frunk, as I don't use it as often as I use the trunk, and from the Tesla Offer installation video it looks like just as much work to install it.

Greg Appelt

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Try this: Century Spring C-77 2 Count 1-7/8" Extension Springs with 11/32" Outside Diameter from Amazon.
It's a replacement of the front latch spring. Instead of 5# of pressure to close it, just a 0.5# of pressure is needed to close the frunk. I use just 1 finger (or knuckle if I don't want to leave a print) to close the lid. $2.50 is definitely an affordable solution.
Simply pry the plastic covering the frunk latch back from the forward edge and then pry upwards. Leave the emergency light connected. Use a pair of pliers to remove the Tesla spring, and fingers to install the new one. Pop the plastic cover back on and 'done'.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I watched the video, seems straight enough that I’d do this myself. The trunk install looked way too complicated to do in comparison.
Yeah that looks considerably easier than the trunk -- the thing is in my situation the trunk is used daily and the frunk is used once a week tops so the cost becomes too high in my book.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah that looks considerably easier than the trunk -- the thing is in my situation the trunk is used daily and the frunk is used once a week tops so the cost becomes too high in my book.
I watched the video, seems straight enough that I’d do this myself. The trunk install looked way too complicated to do in comparison.
Just watched after reading your comment, you're right it does look much easier. $500 is still too much for me. For $500 I'd want the trunk one, installed.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just watched after reading your comment, you're right it does look much easier. $500 is still too much for me. For $500 I'd want the trunk one, installed.
Agreed, $500 is definitely a bit much and is the only reason I haven’t ordered it already. But I use my frunk daily. It’s the sole reason I bought a key fob (as the app is generally delayed and I hate looking like an idiot staring at my frunk waiting for it to open). Just wish there’s another way (read: cheaper) I can avoid finger prints on the frunk.

Cintoman

Even though I do use my frunk quite a bit more than my trunk, at $500, I won't spend that on the frunk. I'd much rather get the power trunk for just a bit more $$$.

--Cintoman