Power & Connect Everything | 8 USB ports | Hidden USB Drive

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi,

I just completed a custom install where the center console was disassembled and four extra USB ports were added, while also keeping the existing 4 functional. Two will be added to the front and they will be charge-only ports supporting 2.1A each. One will be added in the armrest compartment where the 12V outlet is, and one will be added in a hidden location for protecting the USB drive for Sentry Mode and Dashcam footage. The latter two will be data ports supporting the limited power output levels just like the stock Tesla front USB ports. The USB hub accomplishing this was mounted and hidden in the center console under the cup holders and is a powered hub tapped into the same 12V power source as the front stock Tesla USB hub.

This was quite involved and time consuming but produced excellent results. The most challenging part was getting to the front USB ports. I followed one persons instructions, which they admitted was the more difficult removal method. I would not recommend this method as getting the front center console insert back in and snapped in is nearly impossible. They suggested removal of the entire center console and another person on TOO had good step by step pictures of how to accomplish this. It was way more easier than I envisioned.

The problem: Tesla only gives you 2 USB ports in the console and you have more and more things to plug in. USB drive for Dashcam/Sentry Mode, USB game controllers, USB music, and of course you'd like to charge two phones at at least 2.1A each.

The solution is to add a USB hub that also has higher powered charger ports. I used this one by Anker: Amazon product
I could has easily used a hub in the front of the center console, but I didn't want the bulk or the wires and I wanted a cleaner look while being able to hide my flash drive.

The Tesla Model 3 USB connection is a USB 2.0 connection. It's a single Mini USB Male connection in the center console that connects to a Mini USB extension cable and then plugs into the Front USB hub. The hub is made by Delphi, and indeed is just a powered USB 2.0 hub. 12V power's it.

Knowing this I decided that my Anker hub was going to become the primary hub for the car. It will connect to the male Mini USB connector and then the stock Delphi hub will plug into my Anker hub. From the Anker hub you can then run USB extensions wherever you desire. I chose two added to the right of the front stock data ports and I plugged these into the charge-only ports on the Anker hub. These will be my phone charging ports. I ran one to the armrest compartment; this port was plugged into a data port on the Anker hub. Finally I ran one to a concealed, yet easily accessible location in the car and plugged my USB drive in there. The USB drive is portioned into Music and Cam so I can run everything off one USB drive. The drive is from Samsung and is rated for very high temperatures. It's also super tiny. Link here: Amazon product
You can get pretty creative with where you hide your USB drive, while still having it easy to get to. There are all sorts of panels that snap off easily. I suggest each person doing this project choose a place that's easy for them. We don't want to all be hiding them in the same place and have thieves catch on.

The Anker hub runs off 12V, so I cut the cord it came with and soldered it into the 12V power feeding the Delphi USB hub. I used some shrink wrap tubes for my wire splices. Speaking of wire splices, you can use adaptors to adapt your hub to the male Mini USB port, that's probably the easiest way, but use some hot glue to hold the connections together. The stock Mini USB connections are spacial snap connectors to keep them connected. I opted for a more tedious route and chopped the stock Delphi Mini USB extension cable in half and then soldered on the appropriate ends for the input on my Anker hub and for plugging the Delphi Hub into a USB a port on the Anker hub. That way the connection to the car is snapped together and the connection into the Delphi hub is also snapped in.

The USB port in the armrest compartment is very nice as it's not visible. It's under an overhang and you would never know it was there.

I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have. I'm also planning on making a video of the process once I have enough free time.

Attachments

Last edited: