Porsche Taycan

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Porsche is throwing some dough for the Taycan. Super Bowl kind of dough. Nice to see them not afraid to spend that kind of money. Exposure is good.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And a good ad that highlighted the fun of EVs.

Now... about that E-Tron ad... So forgettable (let it go?)

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And a good ad that highlighted the fun of EVs.

Now... about that E-Tron ad... So forgettable (let it go?)
Yeah, that ad had me scratching my head. I'd bet most of the viewers that saw the ad were thinking "let go of what"!? I get they're referring to ICE, but I don't think a majority of the country realizes that the world is transitioning to purely electric. I bet most people think it'll just be ICE/hybrid/BEV forever.

Last edited:

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
......and while Porsche, GM and AUDI paid $$$$$ millions for the advertising time.......TESLA got it for free....LMAO (not that it needs it).....but they had some time where they were talking about what both teams had in common was that they loved their TESLAs.....

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But it is only 54" high vs. 57" for Model 3. It lacks headroom and feels very tight inside...
Front headroom is good. Rear not so much.

all the reviews Ive seen mention the headroom (and overall interior) are all quite spacious. (including one note of a 6'7" wearing a racing helmet).
I am 6'2" and don't fit in a lot of cars since I have more height in my torso (32" inseam). Just comparing the Taycan to the Model 3 on space, here is my observation:

Front headroom: Model 3 - tons. Taycan - more than enough.
Front legroom, hip room: Model 3 - widen open. Taycan - more like a traditional sedan. A bit narrower in the shoulders and hips. Higher dash.
Rear legroom: Model 3: Decent. Helped by completely flat floor. Taycan: very tight. Thicker seats and "foot garages" really make for cramped feet
Rear headroom: Model 3: Generous. Taycan: Adequate
Trunk space: Model 3: Good. Taycan: Tight.

The front cockpit of the Taycan feels closer to my 911 than it does to my Model 3. You sit lower, the doors and dash are higher. Everything is more intimate.

the Taycan is 10" longer and 5" wider than the Model 3

195x78x54 vs 185x73x56 for the 3
The width is also worth noting as it is deceiving. A fellow Porsche / Model 3 owner friend of mine went for a drive in the Taycan. He is not quite as big as I am, but he is not small. His first comment was "boy, it's tight, where did all the width go"? I experienced the same sensation. The car has a lot of tumblehome in the side profile, the better to make those sexy hips. Unfortunately, that cuts into the passenger cabin notably.

He's got a Taycan on order, lucky duck.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here you go:

Head to head against the Model S: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...an-turbo-s-vs-2020-tesla-model-s-performance/

Has the mystery been solved of why the Taycan scored so poorly on the EPA test, but performs nearly as well as the Model S in the real world? My theory is that the poor regenerative braking hurts--a lot--on the EPA test, but at a steady 70 MPH the Taycan shines.
taycan_100-jpg.32184

Perhaps but I don't have a test Taycan to run the benchmarks. Here are the "drag HP" curves for the two vehicles based on their EPA roll-down coefficients.

Bob Wilson

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Strangely, the Taycan launched better on a regular road than on an un-prepped drag racing track.

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I prefer to playback in YouTube: "SPACE" toggles run; "." forwards one frame; "," backup one frame, and; playback speed can be slowed to 25%. At these times:
  • 7:32, the tires show segmented, rubber, slip marks.
  • 8:27, use the cabin dashcam in front of the rear view mirror to show the body tilt during acceleration.
  • 8:58, the rear, side view shows the pulsing of the wheel.
  • 9:19, the "draggy" detailed record but vibrating mount.
  • 9:50, nice cabin view, watch the power cable displace when acceleration starts.
  • 10:14, good view of the tire patch 'pulsing'.
  • 10:23, rear side view showing tire patch pulsing.
  • 11:15, nice cabin view again the power cable displacement lets you know what is going on.
Bob Wilson

bwilson4web

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is DragTimes comparing the Taycan Turbo S and regular Taycan Turbo:

No, I'm not tempted but it sounds like the Taycan specifications came from the Model S specs.

Bob Wilson