Porsche Taycan

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Strangely, we don't appear to have a dedicated thread about this vehicle yet.

Mission E Turns Taycan

I'm happy to see somebody else putting out a non-econobox EV. While I bet they'll have a difficult time winning over Tesla owners, I think this will sell well to existing Porsche owners. Hopefully Porsche is nimble enough to adjust their manufacturing quickly if this turns out to be the case.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Definitely exciting to see more EVs come to market, especially one from a brand like Porsche and done "right" (made from the ground up, mostly? completely?) versus some conversion of an ICE vehicle with odd proportions, unused space and strangely shaped and situated batteries. I really hope it's successful and gets more people to make the switch! I can't wait to see one in person and thumbs up the owner!

I always get sick of the "Tesla versus..." crap that some news/media/websites seem to get stuck on. "Tesla killers", how does this compare to Tesla, will people switch from Tesla to Porsche, etc. I have to roll my eyes at all the clickbait articles out there like that.

Porsche coming out with their own electric offering? Love it! Audi's eTron getting amazing crash test ratings? Love it! I'm quite hopeful that more EV options will mean more converts from ICE, versus more converts from Tesla to other brands. That's what should be the narrative.

To be more on topic here... I really loved the way the prototype (Mission E) looked and for some reason I'm finding the Taycan to be... I can't place it. I feel like it's missing something. Did they change something? Some of the lines? Is it just the color combo of the Mission E that I liked, the white on white with those awesome rims? Is it the addition of side mirrors? Here's a side by side and honestly it really looks like the same car, but wow I find this first image so much more appealing.

porsche_mission_e_-_iaa_2015_-_8_cropped-jpg.28537

porsche-taycan-1165178-jpg.28538

PEIEVGUY

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It looks like a fine machine, but I doubt those of use already sworn into the Tesla camp/cult will be lured into a Taycan.

More likely they will get sales from their customers (20K reservations is nothing to sneeze at) who already love Porsche and are EV-curious.

Johnston

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It looks like a fine machine, but I doubt those of use already sworn into the Tesla camp/cult will be lured into a Taycan.

More likely they will get sales from their customers (20K reservations is nothing to sneeze at) who already love Porsche and are EV-curious.
There are likely quite a few Model S owners that were previously Porsche owners that may switch back to Porsche.

tesla m3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Supposedly will be closer to 200 mile range in real world usage. So we're back to "new competitors are still trying to beat the 2012 model s" game.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
To be more on topic here... I really loved the way the prototype (Mission E) looked and for some reason I'm finding the Taycan to be... I can't place it. I feel like it's missing something. Did they change something? Some of the lines? Is it just the color combo of the Mission E that I liked, the white on white with those awesome rims? Is it the addition of side mirrors? Here's a side by side and honestly it really looks like the same car, but wow I find this first image so much more appealing.

View attachment 28538
It was the weird area and coloring around the headlights and taillights that put me off. Just looks... weird

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In addition to different wheels, the prototype has no side rear view mirror, no license plate, different door handles, and the whole headlights/bumper/grill integration is very different.

Mesprit87

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Definitely exciting to see more EVs come to market, especially one from a brand like Porsche and done "right" (made from the ground up, mostly? completely?) versus some conversion of an ICE vehicle with odd proportions, unused space and strangely shaped and situated batteries. I really hope it's successful and gets more people to make the switch! I can't wait to see one in person and thumbs up the owner!

I always get sick of the "Tesla versus..." crap that some news/media/websites seem to get stuck on. "Tesla killers", how does this compare to Tesla, will people switch from Tesla to Porsche, etc. I have to roll my eyes at all the clickbait articles out there like that.

Porsche coming out with their own electric offering? Love it! Audi's eTron getting amazing crash test ratings? Love it! I'm quite hopeful that more EV options will mean more converts from ICE, versus more converts from Tesla to other brands. That's what should be the narrative.

View attachment 28537
View attachment 28538
The doors, they sit a lot flusher to front and rear wings.
It removes the excitement of lets say the rear hips of a 993
wp_20151021_001-jpg.28557

BW984

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was comparison shopping the Taycan to the P3D until I learned that the fast Taycan that meets their advertised acceleration and power specs was going to be double the price of the P3D. If it provides P3D or better type performance and is significantly quieter than the model 3 at highway speed then I think it will have it’s place in the luxury car market. Can’t wait to see one in person and maybe one day see one on the road. Still haven’t seen an I-pace or an e-Tron on the road.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
From our experience at the recent Midwest Tesla Gathering, a number of the Model S and X owners were in "thermal limit" trying to take laps at the NCM Motorsports Park.

All the Model 3s just kept on humming.

For those people who want to run their cars on the track, you may see a few trade their Model S for a Taycan.

That is, if they can find enough 150kW-250kW CCS chargers once they get to the track. Not the easiest thing to do.

As for us, we had 14-50 chargers at the track (not the fastest as many of us know) but had a Supercharger just a few miles away.

And, interestingly, Electrify America have installed chargers (150 kW AND 350 kW) at the Corvette Museum next to the race track.... hmmm... plug in hybrid Corvette may be on the horizon. And Taycans could run on that track.

Tesla... CCS Combo adapter please.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Supposedly will be closer to 200 mile range in real world usage. So we're back to "new competitors are still trying to beat the 2012 model s" game.
That was a quote taken from Car and Driver or another mag who happened to see that on a display during a prototype drive. But it was based on recent consumption and who knows how they were driving it? But the ETron has at least that much range and it's much heavier, so I can't imagine the Taycan would be that low.

I will wait for the announcement to pass judgment on that.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I was comparison shopping the Taycan to the P3D until I learned that the fast Taycan that meets their advertised acceleration and power specs was going to be double the price of the P3D. If it provides P3D or better type performance and is significantly quieter than the model 3 at highway speed then I think it will have it’s place in the luxury car market. Can’t wait to see one in person and maybe one day see one on the road. Still haven’t seen an I-pace or an e-Tron on the road.
Yeah, as a Porsche owner, I feel that pain. Their cars are expensive and getting even more so. The base price of a Cayenne (base) is $67k but by the time you option it like it's Audi / BMW / Mercedes competition (i.e. vented seats, surround camera, adaptive cruise, active suspension, etc.) you're looking at a price over $95k, where the others are $78k to $82k. Crazy! Porsche really knows how to charge for the options.