Porch Pirates Stole My Tesla Stuff

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How is it yours? You paid for a product, but never received it. As a consumer, you had no choice in the method of shipment.
First, I completely feel for @IPv6Freely's situation. It sucks. But as he says - he doesn't want "signature required", because he's never around to sign for packages. That's not a solution to his problem.

As far as who has more control over the situation, you've got things backwards. You as the buyer are able to completely control the delivery location. The seller has no choice but to send it where you've told them to send it.

Once you've discovered that you have porch pirates operating in your neighborhood, it's time to consider getting a PO box to use for receiving shipments. If you use that as your delivery address, then you've forced a "delivery method" onto the seller - they'll have to ship it USPS. For UPS deliveries, you can use their Access Point network to have your packages delivered to a nearby location where you can pick it up - that might be a good solution for some people. Unfortunately, I don't believe Fedex offers anything similar - at least, I haven't been able to find anything.

TomT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A) They should have required a signature for that high a dollar value.
B) They have leverage with the shipping company.
C) Credit card companies (AMEX in my case) are very good about supporting their clients. I filed a claim for just the same kind of thing a couple of years ago, and AMEX refunded my purchase...

why would I dispute the charge because somebody stole the package? How is it Tesla’s fault?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know what the right answers are either. Signatures require you to be home which is very likely not going to happen during the day. I think community boxes like the USPS uses in newer neighborhoods and was mentioned earlier in the thread are likely the way to go.

Everyone is creating their own solution, one will eventually win out and sell their services to others, hell - likely Amazon.

I've got apps from UPS and Fedex, free to sign up, but if you want to reroute your package or have it held at one of their stores or a locker they usually want a $5 change fee.

Every one gets greedy and at the end of the day, you and I, the consumer loses every time.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good point! I wonder if Amazon would be willing to let others use their Hub Locker network?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910840
For a fee I'm sure, and just like that they have others pay for their own way of delivering packages. Now if they could just get one vendor to run them all, you can add at least Home Depot and others I'm sure. Very likely most of these locker systems were developed by one company so they could be integrated on the back end if they would join forces.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For UPS deliveries, you can use their Access Point network to have your packages delivered to a nearby location where you can pick it up - that might be a good solution for some people. Unfortunately, I don't believe Fedex offers anything similar - at least, I haven't been able to find anything.
FedEx has a similar network. Locations in most Walgreens and in some grocery stores. The difference that I’ve seen is that with UPS I have a standing order to have all my packages delivered to an Access Point, but with FedEx I have to do it for each package when I get the shipping notification.

I've got apps from UPS and Fedex, free to sign up, but if you want to reroute your package or have it held at one of their stores or a locker they usually want a $5 change fee.
I have them hold every package. No fee from either UPS or FedEx. Only time I’ve seen them ask $5 is if I want to reroute to a different residential address or if it was sent via FedEx SmartPost (last mile via USPS).

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First, I completely feel for @IPv6Freely's situation. It sucks. But as he says - he doesn't want "signature required", because he's never around to sign for packages. That's not a solution to his problem.

As far as who has more control over the situation, you've got things backwards. You as the buyer are able to completely control the delivery location. The seller has no choice but to send it where you've told them to send it.

Once you've discovered that you have porch pirates operating in your neighborhood, it's time to consider getting a PO box to use for receiving shipments. If you use that as your delivery address, then you've forced a "delivery method" onto the seller - they'll have to ship it USPS. For UPS deliveries, you can use their Access Point network to have your packages delivered to a nearby location where you can pick it up - that might be a good solution for some people. Unfortunately, I don't believe Fedex offers anything similar - at least, I haven't been able to find anything.
Not to argue semantics, but the buyer tells the shipper an address AND a name. Until that person receives the package, the purchase is not complete. IMHO, a customer pays for a product and it’s the shippers responsibility to get it into the hands of the customer. Till then, they’re responsible.

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not to argue semantics, but the buyer tells the shipper an address AND a name. Until that person receives the package, the purchase is not complete. IMHO, a customer pays for a product and it’s the shippers responsibility to get it into the hands of the customer. Till then, they’re responsible.
Disagree. Delivered on your doorstep IS in your hands.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Disagree. Delivered on your doorstep IS in your hands.
Everyone’s entitled to their personal opinion, but CC companies side with the consumer (at least they have every time I’ve had to dispute a charge).

I’d like to add that this is a very simple fix for shippers/carriers. Mandate signature requirements, with an opt out option. Anyone that opts out is now held liable for the package they’re receiving (including releasing the carriers responsibility).

Last edited:

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You keep pushing for "signature required". We've been over this. It is NOT a solution for @IPv6Freely . It's not a solution for many people.
Hence the “opt out” part of my comment, at which point the recipient holds liability. That’s the clearest way to assign responsibility.

It could be the opposite, wherein no signature is chosen, and recipient assumes liability, but there’s got to be an option for the signature for those of us that had packages stolen and don’t want to risk any money loss. By not offering the signature requirement option, the shipper holds liability if a package goes missing.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
but there’s got to be an option for the signature for those of us that had packages stolen and don’t want to risk any money loss.
There is an option. Change the address to which you have packages shipped to something more secure.

"Signature required" requires you to be present at the exact time of delivery. That's fine if you work from home, but otherwise it's non-workable.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was actually looking at stuff like this: https://www.getboxlock.com/
That makes a lot of sense!

From their FAQ:

"We continue to actively partner with shippers and sellers like UPS, USPS, FedEx and Amazon to ensure easy and smooth adoption. "

To me, that sounds like "we haven't been able to get any of them to actually commit to using our system yet".

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That makes a lot of sense!

From their FAQ:

"We continue to actively partner with shippers and sellers like UPS, USPS, FedEx and Amazon to ensure easy and smooth adoption. "

To me, that sounds like "we haven't been able to get any of them to actually commit to using our system yet".
You don't actually need anything from any of them though, so it's kind of a weird statement. Unless they mean "hopefully the driver is willing to make the effort to use it"?

That's pretty cool. Assuming your package fits!
Fits? It's just a lock.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is an option. Change the address to which you have packages shipped to something more secure.

"Signature required" requires you to be present at the exact time of delivery. That's fine if you work from home, but otherwise it's non-workable.
Issue is I AM home, but every delivery driver has gotten into the habit of just leaving packages outside without even ringing the bell when no signature is required. Apparently the shipping carriers are fine with taking the hits from disputed charges.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Issue is I AM home, but every delivery driver has gotten into the habit of just leaving packages outside without even ringing the bell when no signature is required. Apparently the shipping carriers are fine with taking the hits from disputed charges.
Nowadays, you can register an account with the USPS, UPS, and Fedex to get emails whenever a package has been delivered.