Porch Pirates Stole My Tesla Stuff

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ordered some new key cards, snow chains, and the Tesla wireless phone charger (since it appears to come with a lip so my phone doesn't end up in the middle console pit of despair like it does with the first gen Jeda I have).

I got the key cards but the other two boxes arrived on a different day. Both were stolen from my porch. One of the empty boxes was found on the side of the road, empty.

I'm really just posting this as a heads-up that when Tesla ships stuff from their store, they aren't declaring actual contents value when shipping so FedEx is only going to cover $100 per package. I'm only out $40 or so, but I'd hate to see this happen to somebody who ordered something expensive like a wall charger. So just make sure you're home on the day of delivery or have it shipped to somewhere safe!

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ouch. That sucks. I would have assumed Tesla would at least insurance the value of the package, maybe they do with high ticket items.
Maybe you need to contact Mark Rober to get a glitter package setup for them. :cool:

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hahaha that guy is awesome.

The worst part is Tesla doesn't reply to their customer service email address:
You can also reply back to this email directly or contact us at onlineorders@tesla.com
Why even have that at the bottom of the order/shipping confirmation emails if they don't actually reply?

I'm finding that's definitely one major hurdle with Tesla. It's SO HARD to actually get a person to talk to.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hahaha that guy is awesome.

The worst part is Tesla doesn't reply to their customer service email address:

Why even have that at the bottom of the order/shipping confirmation emails if they don't actually reply?

I'm finding that's definitely one major hurdle with Tesla. It's SO HARD to actually get a person to talk to.
I don't see why you should be on the hook for anything. I'd file a dispute with your credit card and have Tesla deal with the missing package.

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I had Tesla stuff delivered by FedEx, I had FedEx hold it for pickup at one of their retail locations. After a porch pirate incident a few years ago, I do this for almost all FedEx and UPS shipments. It's usually easy to reroute once you get the tracking info.

TomT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you bought it with a credit card, dispute the charge if Tesla will not make it good.

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When I had Tesla stuff delivered by FedEx, I had FedEx hold it for pickup at one of their retail locations. After a porch pirate incident a few years ago, I do this for almost all FedEx and UPS shipments. It's usually easy to reroute once you get the tracking info.
That would be so far out of the way. A good hour to go pick it up.

If you bought it with a credit card, dispute the charge if Tesla will not make it good.
why would I dispute the charge because somebody stole the package? How is it Tesla’s fault?

Long Ranger

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Are you sure? They have pickup locations in Walgreens, Albertsons, Kroger, etc. It's generally pretty convenient unless you live somewhere really remote.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry about the piratez, but on another thought: How/why did you choose the Telasa charger vs. the ones on Amazon at 1/3 the price?
Thankxx

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry about the piratez, but on another thought: How/why did you choose the Telasa charger vs. the ones on Amazon at 1/3 the price?
Thankxx
I haven’t seen any on Amazon for 1/3 the price. I’ve only seen the Jeda (that I have) and the Nomad. Which one are you referring to?

As for why, I already mentioned it. It appears to have the lip so my phone doesn’t slip into the middle console.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First, it really is Tesla's responsibility to insure packages are delivered to the customer. It shouldn't be a loss out of your pocket. You shouldn't be dealing with Fedex for the insurance, Tesla should. If they don't want to properly insure things, they should be taking the write off and shipping you another. Even Amazon does so no questions asked.

Second, you can create a free account on Fedex, UPS, and DHL and manage packages being delivered to your house. You can leave instructions like leave at side door or wherever is more hidden, you can reroute specific packages, and sign for some of them. Also, they typically email you a day before a package is arriving so you are prepared and have time to change delivery. I'll typically deliver to hidden porch, and for certain valuable items like an iPhone, I can redirect to my nearest fedex or UPS store and pick up after work.
Only USMail stinks, because you can't control any of this, plus the drivers usually toss the packages where they are in their most plain view.

Additionally, wifi cameras are only $25 or so now. I have two watching my porch at all time from inside a window. The police suddenly have interest when you have video of a perpetrator. I've helped with a number of crimes over the last few years thanks to surrounding my house with cheap cameras. Not to mention the piece of mind to know something is delivered and still there, or where exactly it went.

IPv6Freely

Go Leafs Go
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First, it really is Tesla's responsibility to insure packages are delivered to the customer. It shouldn't be a loss out of your pocket. You shouldn't be dealing with Fedex for the insurance, Tesla should. If they don't want to properly insure things, they should be taking the write off and shipping you another. Even Amazon does so no questions asked.

Second, you can create a free account on Fedex, UPS, and DHL and manage packages being delivered to your house. You can leave instructions like leave at side door or wherever is more hidden, you can reroute specific packages, and sign for some of them. Also, they typically email you a day before a package is arriving so you are prepared and have time to change delivery. I'll typically deliver to hidden porch, and for certain valuable items like an iPhone, I can redirect to my nearest fedex or UPS store and pick up after work.
Only USMail stinks, because you can't control any of this, plus the drivers usually toss the packages where they are in their most plain view.

Additionally, wifi cameras are only $25 or so now. I have two watching my porch at all time from inside a window. The police suddenly have interest when you have video of a perpetrator. I've helped with a number of crimes over the last few years thanks to surrounding my house with cheap cameras. Not to mention the piece of mind to know something is delivered and still there, or where exactly it went.
I have accounts with all the carriers. USPS is actually the best in my case because we have locked package lockers with our mailboxes.

I have a doorbell camera but it didn’t pick anything up. It doesn’t do well with stuff right against the wall, so I’d need another camera. Camera doesn’t do much though in reality. It’s not like the police are going to do anything even if I had footage, and it’s not like I’m going to get my package back.

As for Tesla, if I was going to depend on them to file the FedEx claim for me, I’d be waiting forever for that check because it’s impossible to actually talk to somebody. They ignore their customer service email inbox, it seems.

if it was lost in transit then I’d see your point. But in this case the package was delivered as promised. Amazon does it as a customer service thing - they certainly aren’t obligated to. And we know how Tesla’s customer service is...

Either way, in my case I got most of the money back. I just wanted to give people on here a heads-up that Tesla isn’t declaring their full value when they ship their items.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Along these lines I'll ask here if anyone have a garage door opener that Amazon can access? If so, have you had any problems? I've got one and I can give them access for deliveries, but with all of the tools, etc in the garage, I hesitate to let anyone have that access either, even for a package delivery. Tesla doesn't use the technology to my knowledge, so it wouldn't help a delivery from them, but might from Amazon. I just don't know if I trust enough.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

why would I dispute the charge because somebody stole the package? How is it Tesla’s fault?
How is it yours? You paid for a product, but never received it. As a consumer, you had no choice in the method of shipment. Tesla should of opted for the "signature required for delivery" option. THEY opted not to, so they're on the hook. I've had a few shipments that I've disputed with my CC company. Jus told them I never received what I paid for. I get my credit and let the large corporations that are better suited for handling the rest.