Are you buying a set of winter tires?

• Total voters

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought an extra set of aero wheels and plan on putting winter tires on them. I’m not sure I have an option to select.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Will go TireRack as I always do (local pickup is a plus). This will be my vehicle to go skiing in the mountains...so chains will be necessary too.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After costing out TSLA: 18" aero with pirelli sottozero II = 2400CAD
Costco same rubber = 1400CAD + rims 1000 + TPMS 100...install 80 = ~2600CAD

I'm just going to have the telsa rims and shoes and call it done.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Will go TireRack as I always do (local pickup is a plus). This will be my vehicle to go skiing in the mountains...so chains will be necessary too.
Hey doubledub,

I'll be driving those same roads, but from the north. I drive 19" summer tires but leaning toward 18" rims and XIce rubber for winter. Your thoughts?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After costing out TSLA: 18" aero with pirelli sottozero II = 2400CAD
Costco same rubber = 1400CAD + rims 1000 + TPMS 100...install 80 = ~2600CAD

I'm just going to have the telsa rims and shoes and call it done.
Seems Tesla has reasonable prices on things... like the Frunk and Trunk mats for example.

You can buy them from Weathertech for substantially more, and the Tesla branded ones are genuine WeatherTech.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
if you live in snow country and want superior tires look at nokian hakka's, for my money these are the best snow/winter tires
https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/passenger-car/winter-tires/
Agreed. I ended up with Michelin X-Ice 3, simply because when I got them earlier this year, they were a fair bit less expensive than the Hakkapeliittas. Of course, as summer went on, I saw a tire retailer on ebay selling them, during an ebay promo, for 10% less than I got the X-Ice 3s for.

Nonetheless, I am happy - the X-Ice are still very good winter tires, plus I was able to take care of it before deliveries hit a fever pitch, so I was able to order a set of aeros and they were ready to pick up from the SC very quickly.

Now I just need to figure out if I trust the local shop that mounted and balanced them to the wheels enough to install them when it gets a little colder here.

Last edited:

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Seems Tesla has reasonable prices on things... like the Frunk and Trunk mats for example.

You can buy them from Weathertech for substantially more, and the Tesla branded ones are genuine WeatherTech.
They were actually $300 less last winter. They're still a good value at the new higher price, but they were a great deal for a comprehensive package at their original pricing.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I bought the TST 18" Wheels with the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II from TSportline for my P3D+. They come with TPMS and are mounted and balanced. It was the cheapest plug and play option for the P3D+ i could find (I got them 10% off for labor day)

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
For the 3 years I drove my FWD Chevy Volts in ND with all season tires, just one day I wasn't able to drive it (lots of wet, sticky snow). That's one reason I bought my AWD Model 3.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Agreed. I ended up with Michelin X-Ice 3, simply because when I got them earlier this year, they were a fair bit less expensive than the Hakkapeliittas. Of course, as summer went on, I saw a tire retailer on ebay selling them, during an ebay promo, for 10% less than I got the X-Ice 3s for.

Nonetheless, I am happy - the X-Ice are still very good winter tires, plus I was able to take care of it before deliveries hit a fever pitch, so I was able to order a set of aeros and they were ready to pick up from the SC very quickly.

Now I just need to figure out if I trust the local shop that mounted and balanced them to the wheels enough to install them when it gets a little colder here.
I was also in the same position with the eBay promo. I saw Hakkas R2 for cheaper than X-ice after buying my michelins. I wanted the R3 and didn't consider the R2s at all. I'm planning on getting them mounted and balanced with my own 3rd party TPMS through a shop then change the tires myself.

TheTony

It happened.
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was also in the same position with the eBay promo. I saw Hakkas R2 for cheaper than X-ice after buying my michelins. I wanted the R3 and didn't consider the R2s at all. I'm planning on getting them mounted and balanced with my own 3rd party TPMS through a shop then change the tires myself.
Yeah, I've been hearing good things about the R3s being an improvement over R2, which were great in their own right. That said, given that they're new, I figure they'll fetch a premium for awhile.

I picked up my TPMS on ebay for less than Tesla sells them for, and got them in gunmetal grey, to match the aeros. Like you, I'll probably change them myself (including doing rotations). I figure it's a good excuse for me to get a new floor jack and maybe replace my current jack stands.