POLL: Will not getting the Federal Tax Credit change your plans

Will not getting the Federal Tax Credit change your plans?

• No, will still order first available

Votes: 116 45.1%
  • No, already planned to wait for other version

Votes: 34 13.2%
  • Yes, will wait for Standard Range or non PUP version

Votes: 44 17.1%
  • Yes, will wait for Dual or Performance version

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Yes, will cancel and get another EV before 12/31/17

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Yes, will cancel and get an ICE vehicle

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Yes, will cancel and don't need a replacement vehicle

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • I'm outside the US, but want to be included in voting too!

Votes: 11 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Or perhaps, Tesla considers that information competitive intelligence to be guarded closely until the time it must become public. I'm not sayin' that's the case, but it's plausible. Maybe.
I actually think that *is* the case. I don't see any reason for them to divulge the number until it hits 200K, especially given how the phase-out period works.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I actually think that *is* the case. I don't see any reason for them to divulge the number until it hits 200K, especially given how the phase-out period works.
I agree with this point, but with a caveat back to your first point that I agreed with and I think you’re saying here now.

Telling everyone now is meaningless since the full credit is available for an unknown to Tesla amount of time so informing people about something they still have no control over given the Model 3 backlog is not relevant information per se.

Now it is relevant for all “new” reservations if they’re made under the belief that they’ll earn $7,500 then they’re of course out of luck and Tesla just has to repay the reservation deposit when that happens and customer is left upset and disappointed.

So actually as I type that last paragraph I take back what I said. It would make sense for Tesla to share that information now as it can’t hurt Model 3 sales and could help Model S sales anyway. Most important clear transparency for the consumer.

Last edited:

mtdoak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still not sure what I will do if the EV tax credit goes away.

I could:

A) Opt to forgo a Model 3 completely, look at a used/CPO Model S
B) Go for a First available Model 3
C) Wait for a AWD Model 3.

My initial thought is wait for a AWD Model 3 (Which i voted for). I currently have a Model 3 payment carved out of my budget, and am simply socking it away. If that is a fall 2018 car, that could be 10 months of savings while my current car drops very little in value at this point.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So actually as I type that last paragraph I take back what I said. It would make sense for Tesla to share that information now as it can’t hurt Model 3 sales and could help Model S sales anyway. Most important clear transparency for the consumer.
Agreed, though I imagine it's a tough call to make from Tesla's standpoint, given that competitors are still advertising with the credit baked in, and given that the fate of the tax bill is still up in the air right now. I can see why they'd want to at least let the tax policy shake out before announcing anything or updating their website. One way or another, though, I think we're nearing the point where it's time for them to reduce the prominence of "with EV incentives" pricing in their collateral.

Mark C

Country
Country
It doesn't affect my purchasing decision much, since I know the tax credit makes absolutely no difference in the monthly payment when I buy the car. The two benefits of the credit {aside from just being that much money in my pocket} are, I can (1) refinance and lower my monthly payment, or (2) I can put that money against the existing loan and effectively shorten the duration of the loan.

As my plan and savings stand now {2% sales tax excluded}, my 48 monthly payments: SR, Blue: $462.39 or: with PUP $572.62. Since I don't figure to get an invite anytime soon, the situation should get better, unless over the course of Elon time, the pricing goes up. If that happens, we will go straight to, "to be determined" on whether I buy it at all. I'm kinda' fickle sometimes. o_O

Last edited:

Mark C

Country
Country
A nugget from a wise old bird: These two propositions are contradictory. The latter is the one that is true. ;)
Poor wording on my part, just edited. The thread was about "change your plan," which I thought we were talking about purchasing decision. That is where the lack of tax credit doesn't affect me much...my decision to purchase does not hinge on the tax credit.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it so easy to interpret differently than my meaning.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A nugget from a wise old bird: These two propositions are contradictory. The latter is the one that is true. ;)
Not necessarily. A $2 change in the price of a Starbucks coffee can affect my pocket book, but it doesn't affect me very much.

chojn1

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It really sucks that they are attempting to change the rules in the middle of things. And my bank account will be affected by it. But as I tell my kid, life is not fair - anybody promising you that is lying. Congress have its own political agenda, and it does not work on the principle of fairness.

That said, I am OK with it either way. Personally I think it would be better for Tesla if the credit was repealed. If it doesn't get repeal than I get to keep more of my money. If it does, then I will just chalk up the $7500 as my small contribution to the EV and environmental movement.

Poobah

Country
Country
I think removing the tax credit will harm Tesla in the short term as many (not me) will decide to simply wait for the configuration they want because there's no longer an "advantage" in getting the first production, and many of those will get the lower cost (and lower margin) standard battery version. However, long term removing the tax credit will help Tesla because it will level the playing field with the Ford/Chrysler/Mercedes/BMW/Audis of the world who have largely not electrified their fleets.

Initially I mainly wanted the first production because I would get the full tax credit, basically making the LR battery only $1500 (I want PUP even if I get a standard battery) . As time has passed, I've warmed to the idea of the LR with its improved range and performance, and I'm also not sure my 205K mile Prius will last long enough for a standard battery.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everyone is discussing how the potential loss of the tax credit will affect them, but I would recommend calculating your potential savings/losses for all of proposed tax changes. For my specific situation, the higher standard deduction and my new tax bracket would make the loss of the tax credit pretty much a wash over a year and a half. After that I will be in the black vs. having the EV credit and no tax cuts.

McHoffa

EV.network
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everyone is discussing how the potential loss of the tax credit will affect them, but I would recommend calculating your potential savings/losses for all of proposed tax changes. For my specific situation, the higher standard deduction and my new tax bracket would make the loss of the tax credit pretty much a wash over a year and a half. After that I will be in the black vs. having the EV credit and no tax cuts.
last time I checked based on the House version, I was seeing $2500 less in taxes per year estimate, so three years I'd be at a wash with it.

I'd still like to get both though :D

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think removing the tax credit will harm Tesla in the short term as many (not me) will decide to simply wait for the configuration they want because there's no longer an "advantage" in getting the first production, and many of those will get the lower cost (and lower margin) standard battery version. However, long term removing the tax credit will help Tesla because it will level the playing field with the Ford/Chrysler/Mercedes/BMW/Audis of the world who have largely not electrified their fleets.

Initially I mainly wanted the first production because I would get the full tax credit, basically making the LR battery only $1500 (I want PUP even if I get a standard battery) . As time has passed, I've warmed to the idea of the LR with its improved range and performance, and I'm also not sure my 205K mile Prius will last long enough for a standard battery.
If the credit goes away, I think I may forego the LR and wait for SR, but will add PUP, Sports wheels and paint - which will bring the total to $43.5k (with transportation included). Who knows...I may change my mind once I get the invite e-mail...someone once said that a car purchase is an emotional purchase vs. a rational/logical one.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
last time I checked based on the House version, I was seeing $2500 less in taxes per year estimate, so three years I'd be at a wash with it.

I'd still like to get both though :D
Roughly the same as me. Technically I'd save much more some years because of the elimination or recalculating of AMT, but that gets back to me over a few years anyway.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tax credits are just that CREDITS. If you have any taxes including socsec fica etc this credit lowers your liability regardless of bracket or if the new higher standard deduction applies to you and reduces your ability or need to itemize.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tax credits are just that CREDITS. If you have any taxes including socsec fica etc this credit lowers your liability regardless of bracket or if the new higher standard deduction applies to you and reduces your ability or need to itemize.
Taking full advantage of the EV tax credit requires that you have federal income tax liability (not FICA liability) of at least $7,500 in the year you take delivery of the vehicle.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not having a rebate does not change my plans at all. It was never part of my purchasing decision, to begin with. I live in Texas where there are no EV rebates available to us, as far as I know. I plan on waiting for more options such as white seats because that is what I would like to have in the car.
Please see my post in another thread about the $2,500 Texas EV rebate: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/texas-2-500-ev-rebate-hearing-on-dec-11-2017.5398/. There is a hearing in Austin on Monday afternoon, and an open comment period that closes on December 22, 2017. I think if we advocate, Tesla will be included on the eligible manufacturers list this time, unlike last time.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Please see my post in another thread about the $2,500 Texas EV rebate: https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/texas-2-500-ev-rebate-hearing-on-dec-11-2017.5398/. There is a hearing in Austin on Monday afternoon, and an open comment period that closes on December 22, 2017. I think if we advocate, Tesla will be included on the eligible manufacturers list this time, unlike last time.
TEXAS MEMBERS! Please do this! I have also started a thread where you can comment of how Texas spends its share of the Diesel Gate Money https://teslaownersonline.com/threads/texas-share-of-diesal-gate-money.5400/