POLL: Will not getting the Federal Tax Credit change your plans

Will not getting the Federal Tax Credit change your plans?

• No, will still order first available

Votes: 116 45.1%
  • No, already planned to wait for other version

Votes: 34 13.2%
  • Yes, will wait for Standard Range or non PUP version

Votes: 44 17.1%
  • Yes, will wait for Dual or Performance version

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Yes, will cancel and get another EV before 12/31/17

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Yes, will cancel and get an ICE vehicle

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Yes, will cancel and don't need a replacement vehicle

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • I'm outside the US, but want to be included in voting too!

Votes: 11 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So now that it looks like the US EV credit may be going away, how does this impact your plans? (if your exact situation is not listed, pick the closest option)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
and I was sure you would be one to say you would wait to be able to recoup a little from not getting the credit and would go with less options now and get EAP with 'second production' ;)
Range wise, I don’t need more than standard battery; but given that this will be our road trip car and we’ll do more of them as our girls get a little older it’s a benefit to have more range and faster charging.

I also like the added power and longer warranty (given my plan to keep the car 5-6 years).

Premium Package is a must have as well.

My only actual hesitation would be a desire for white interior. If I knew with certainty when it would be available and it wasn’t too much longer that would be the one thing I would consider waiting for.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Doesn't change anything for me as far as I'm aware, but I have a suspicion that a lot of people are suddenly going to have reasons to wait when their invites come in. Saying you're going to spend that money and actually spending that money can be quite different for many people.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Doesn't change anything for me as far as I'm aware, but I have a suspicion that a lot of people are suddenly going to have reasons to wait when their invites come in. Saying you're going to spend that money and actually spending that money can be quite different for many people.
Agree...

It will also be curious how many people who do not follow every bit of news will not be aware at the time they put in their orders though and the screaming we hear a year+ from now when they can't figure out how to get the credit that no longer exists.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agree...

It will also be curious how many people who do not follow every bit of news will not be aware at the time they put in their orders though and the screaming we hear a year+ from now when they can't figure out how to get the credit that no longer exists.
It'd be in Tesla's long-term best interests to actually send an update to everyone and throw in an interstitial during the ordering process itself to make it abundantly clear that it's likely to be dead for 2018 and even if you order in 2017 you're not getting it unless you take delivery before 1/1/18, or unless there's a late-stage miracle.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can't vote because I'm of two minds and that option doesn't exist.

If the amended senate version and house version reconcile to dump this credit I never really planned for, I will only be slightly more inclined to wait and see what the price and timing will be for AWD. That being said, my current car is only hanging on by a thread and, despite the slightly higher than expected price point, most of the stuff on the first production car (aside from the seats and the RWD) were already on my list.

When all is said and done, I will probably take it when I can get it but really hope they publish some pricing for future options soon.

Country
Country
If removed, it will solidify my decision to get a low-mile Model S with AP1. I'm 3 weeks into the wait, on a $48,000 CPO with AP1 and 26,000 miles. This will be less expensive than the LR 3 with EAP by almost exactly the $7500 tax credit, and I'll get the car I truly want (Model S). Well priced CPO's have been practically non-existant since early Nov (around the time all of the tax credit chatter started). I'm not saying the tax credit and lack of CPO have anything to do with each other, but the timing is interesting.

Rey

Country
Country
Most likely will go another direction. At $52K the Tesla 3 is playing in a much higher end set of competition. Things that would be overlooked (lower grade interior materials). I would suggest a Tesla bundle Autopilot into the cost of LR range model of the car to make it more competitive. Doesn't add to cost of the vehicle (thought it reduces margin) and it offsets the impact of the ev credit elimination.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would suggest a Tesla bundle Autopilot into the cost of LR range model of the car to make it more competitive. Doesn't add to cost of the vehicle (thought it reduces margin) and it offsets the impact of the ev credit elimination.
There's no reason to do this when plenty of people are willing to buy at the current price.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Doesn't add to cost of the vehicle (thought it reduces margin) and it offsets the impact of the ev credit elimination.
Tesla has paid for the AP2 development though - this would be like saying because they already purchased 400k sets of tires, there is no further expense to Tesla and the vehicle buyer should not need to pay for the tires.

Grashelm

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
If the tax credit is eliminated, I will cancel my reservation and possibly consider a used model 3 in a couple of years. I don't currently have a need for a new vehicle.

Country
Country
Tesla has paid for the AP2 development though - this would be like saying because they already purchased 400k sets of tires, there is no further expense to Tesla and the vehicle buyer should not need to pay for the tires.
It is a little different because Tesla would be out a set of tires per person, where as with AP they'd only be out the opportunity to sell it to that person.

I don't see it happening, but it is different.

NOGA$4ME

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My scenario was not listed in the choice.

I will likely delay purchase a little longer until my wife's Volt lease is up (the car we originally had planned on replacing with the Model 3, but the Model 3 ended up being a whole lot earlier than I expected). Not really for reasons of options, just not in quite as big a hurry to claim the credit.

kendthomp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My "Wish List" consists of AWD, LRB, Red with Cream interior, PUP, EAP, 19" wheels. That said, I will buy it whether the Federal Tax Credit is there or not.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most likely will go another direction. At $52K the Tesla 3 is playing in a much higher end set of competition. Things that would be overlooked (lower grade interior materials). I would suggest a Tesla bundle Autopilot into the cost of LR range model of the car to make it more competitive. Doesn't add to cost of the vehicle (thought it reduces margin) and it offsets the impact of the ev credit elimination.
The car is already competitive in the entry level luxury segment. BMW, Audi, and Mercedes all hit the same levels for inferior cars (and higher long term costs).

Griff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Buying the SR with PUP and EAP with the tax credit was already a budget stretch for my family, but one that I was more than willing and able to do for the model 3. If it's gone, I will probably have to cancel my reservation. I don't want to spend $35k on a car with cloth and manual seats and no AP. This is really devastating for me as I've waited so long, and I was getting so close to having my dream, and now it's being smashed. All so that the rich can put more money in their pockets. It makes me want to cry.