POLL: What is your "Primary" method of charging in NA?

What is your primary/most often used way of charging ?

• Total voters

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Targeted at NA where the majority of the cars are today. I know we've now got CCS and likely other adapters in other countries, we'll cover those another time.

Select your method, add you comments.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ChargePoint has a couple FREE charging stations set up at my apartments... Which in the poll options would that be?
From where I was coming from - "Charge at Work" - its free and it isn't in your garage, which is really where I was going here, if you have a solution at home what do you use, otherwise the work or "other" category. I do appreciate the comment though so it helps us understand the vote.

SMITTY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From where I was coming from - "Charge at Work" - its free and it isn't in your garage, which is really where I was going here, if you have a solution at home what do you use, otherwise the work or "other" category. I do appreciate the comment though so it helps us understand the vote.
Copy that, I chose "Other" for now.

That is my ONLY solution at home and so far the only way i have charged my car since I got it in January.

Long Ranger

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nearly 10k miles over 8 months, just using the UMC @ 120V/20A. Really surprised that it hasn't been much of an issue at all. The one problem is road trips on back-to-back weekends, where it can't recover much charge to start the second trip.

I do have a WC that I was planning to hardwire on a 60A circuit this summer. Should be nice, but it does feel a bit like overkill now.

AutopilotFan

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nearly 10k miles over 8 months, just using the UMC @ 120V/20A. Really surprised that it hasn't been much of an issue at all. The one problem is road trips on back-to-back weekends, where it can't recover much charge to start the second trip.
6k miles in 7 months, using 120v/15A. When I come home from road trips I try to get home with at least 40% but it really hasn't been necessary. I took one trip to Cape Cod and back where I came home to under 20%, and while I wasn't fully back to 80% by the next morning I had much more than enough for the daily commute.

I'm not going to look for another solution until another unit owner in my condo buys a BEV. And only then if we start blowing the circuit breaker trying to charge at the same time.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Kinda hard to answer in my case. I'm an "opportunity" charger and use (1) free county chargers when convenient (2) ChargePoint at work (cheaper than residential) and (3) home 14-30 with UMC when I can't get enough charge from the previous two options. Superchargers for trips to ABQ and back (100 miles one way). For the first year of ownership, I got by nicely with 5-20 with UMC overnight. I only recently upgraded my home charging solution to 240V. That's the beauty of owning a Tesla, you can plug in almost anywhere.

jsmay311

Country
Country
I wonder how much lower the 14-50 usage would be if the 14-50 adapter hadn't been provided by Tesla for free (up until recently).

6-20 was the perfect sweet spot for me. I was able to make use of existing 12AWG wiring that was already going to my detached garage by reshuffling some circuits, so almost no new wire had to be pulled. A 40A or 50A circuit would've required lots of new, thicker wire to be pulled, and might've even required upgrading my electrical service from 100A to 200A.

And 15mph (4kW) charging at home is more than sufficient for me. I'm on pace to drive 15,000 miles in my first year of ownership, and I've never once been limited by home charging speeds.

Greg Appelt

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm amazed that I'm the first (only?) SuperCharger. My apartment complex does not have any ev charging, and neither does my employer. But there are SCs close by.

Feathermerchant

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I added a 240V circuit so I use a Gen1 6-50 but I have it turned down to 30A (don't need 40A) and recently have quit plugging in every time I come home. Now I just plug in as needed and usually after 10PM though I am not on a time of use rate. Superchargers only on road trips.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I voted work for primary charging, but have a wall connector hard wired at home that I plug in daily, but get 90% of my power free at work.
Teslafi says I do 2/3 of my charging at work.

But I voted “Wall connector w/ pig tail”, since that’s what I rely on. Topping up at work is a bit of a bonus, but I don’t count on n it.