POLL: Model 3 owners: In the past month, how often has your phone failed to unlock the car?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Model 3 owners: In the past month, how often has your phone failed to unlock the car?

• Never (0%)

Votes: 85 35.6%
  • Extremely rarely (0-2% of the time)

Votes: 52 21.8%
  • Very rarely (2-5% of the time)

Votes: 26 10.9%
  • Fairly rarely (5-10% of the time)

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Somewhat rarely (10-20% of the time)

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Occasionally (20-40% of the time)

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • It's hit or miss (40-60% of the time)

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • Usually (60-90% of the time)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Almost always (90-100% of the time)

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Always (100% of the time)

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Since this has come up fairly often, I figured it's time for a poll, to see how often people have to rely on the keycard. Only answer if you own the car and have a phone setup as a key.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Don't care about which phone. Model 3 customers will have a random cross section of phones and settings, and the poll results should reflect that. I'm looking for real-world data.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't care about which phone. Model 3 customers will have a random cross section of phones and settings, and the poll results should reflect that. I'm looking for real-world data.
I see your point about just wanting to know real world numbers and know you have some reason for wanting to know raw data, but something like this seems to blame the car, and there could be problems, I'm not defending. However, I think there are several threads and discussions already that seem to say some models of phones have much better percentage of opening the car consistently than others. I think it would be most interesting if your options were doubled and had each of those for iPhone users and the same for Android users. I think the results would show you some real trend that the issue isn't likely the car, at least not all of it.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
However, I think there are several threads and discussions already that seem to say some models of phones have much better percentage of opening the car consistently than others.
Well aware of that. Four the fourth time in this thread, I'm not looking for how individual phones perform. I'm looking for how the general cross section of user experiences is.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The average owner experience is irrelevant to the Model 3?

Be serious here.
I think the average Android owner and the average iPhone owner and the average owner with a phone more than 2 years old that doesn't have the latest low power Bluetooth might be relevant, but not sure the overall average is relevant. I know that would blow the poll out of the water as well, too many options without having a decision tree to work through to find out which OS, which model, etc. I am interested in the overall experience, but would also like to know the details behind that experience. Sorry - I'm not attacking your poll and already stated that, I just think it may take more information behind it to find the real relevance of those having problems and not having problems.

Last edited:

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think the average Android owner and the average iPhone owner and the average owner with a phone more than 2 years old that don't have the latest low power Bluetooth might be relevant, but not sure the overall average is relevant.
Look, unless Tesla decides to start banning people with certain phones from buying the car, that doesn't matter. What matters is the overall average user experience. What percentage of users are going to face annoyances.

You can elaborate on that with data on what sort of phones are best to upgrade to if you face said annoyances - but that data has already been well collected. What's not collected is the general rate of annoyances.

If someone in the media or on a forum writes "Model 3 owners are having trouble unlocking their car", I want something I can point to show whether it actually is or is not a common problem. Not some lecture about which phones work better than others.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure why so many people seem to miss what I think is the goal of the poll. "Can you use a phone as a key"
It doesn't matter which brand, people aren't going to buy a specific phone for their car to work.
It doesn't matter how old the phone is, there is no "cut-off" on what phones work.
Now, these may be good polls in their own right, but I'm with this one "Does Tesla need another solution (or fix this one)

While mine is getting better, mainly because I know to babysit it when approaching the car, it still is a lousy solution.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm curious about the overall results as well. Tesla cannot and should not assume their customers should change their phone to use the car without the key card. I think the more popular the phone the more likely it is that it will be tested and problems will be fixed. But Bluetooth is kind of a disaster. It seems like every update to phones change the Bluetooth code. And it seems like they solve one problem and create two more. My 2006 Acura TL Bluetooth slowly got worse and worse with phone updates. Maybe not the best example but I don't think you can assume that just because you have the latest iPhone you're not going to have a problem. (I have seen complaints.) Or that because it works initially you're never going to have a problem. Based on my experience with Bluetooth I'd be surprised if they ever get it to work reliably for a majority of users. So I'm curious about the overall situation. I'll post my results when I can. First I need to get the car and then figure out if it will let me in. :)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Look, unless Tesla decides to start banning people with certain phones from buying the car, that doesn't matter. What matters is the overall average user experience. What percentage of users are going to face annoyances.

You can elaborate on that with data on what sort of phones are best to upgrade to if you face said annoyances - but that data has already been well collected. What's not collected is the general rate of annoyances.

If someone in the media or on a forum writes "Model 3 owners are having trouble unlocking their car", I want something I can point to show whether it actually is or is not a common problem. Not some lecture about which phones work better than others.
thanks :) I did not get that that was your intent from your intro post.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do know that Tesla has stated the phone (using Bluetooth specifically) is their intended primary way of entering and starting the car. They have provided the cards and the application (while on a network) can also start the car and allowed it to be driven, whether standing right next to it or half way around the world.. If it is found there are major problems I hope they are corrected right away and I hope that there is evidence to confront the uninformed journalists who don't know what they are talking about, only trying to make a name for themselves. However at the end of the day, Tesla is changing the way we control the car. Change isn't always easy and change isn't always correct the first time. I think however Tesla is going to say they've implemented a working technology according to the specs and other aren't conforming. I like that Musk steps out of the box.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I do know that Tesla has stated the phone (using Bluetooth specifically) is their intended primary way of entering and starting the car. They have provided the cards and the application (while on a network) can also start the car and allowed it to be driven, whether standing right next to it or half way around the world.. If it is found there are major problems I hope they are corrected right away and I hope that there is evidence to confront the uninformed journalists who don't know what they are talking about, only trying to make a name for themselves. However at the end of the day, Tesla is changing the way we control the car. Change isn't always easy and change isn't always correct the first time. I think however Tesla is going to say they've implemented a working technology according to the specs and other aren't conforming. I like that Musk steps out of the box.
This may be one of those situations where a solution was created where it wasn't really needed (and it doesn't really work well). While there are a number of horrendous key fobs out there, there are a couple that have turned key fobs into a no big deal. The Nissan entry solution is really nice. A key fob that is relatively small, combined with a button on the door that provides positive locking. I'm not a huge fan of walking away from a vehicle and "hope" that it locks.
And don't walk away thinking that when the current solution works, it works, because on my Android phone, the app has to be running for it to work. It is not really optimal to remember to start an application to get into a car.
All I'm really asking for is a fob that is a cross between the key card and a phone.