Poll: Model 3 Efficiency (Battery-to-Wheels)

What is your Model 3's lifetime average battery-to-wheels Wh/mile efficiency?

• 0-159 Wh/mile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 160-179

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 180-199

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 200-219

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • 220-239

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • 240-259

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • 260-279

Votes: 22 19.6%
  • 280-299

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • 300-319

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 320-339

• ≥340

• Total voters

jsmay311

Country
Country
If you’re a Model 3 owner, please let us know what kind of average battery-to-wheels efficiency you’re seeing. (“Battery-to-wheels” just means the Wh/mile number displayed on the trip meter.) If you've reset both trip meters and don't have a lifetime Wh/mile number to check, just give your best estimate based on what you've observed.

Also, if you have a very high or very low efficiency number, please post a comment with any particular reasons you think you might have for being an outlier.

Also^2, if you happen to measure the energy used from the wall/outlet/EVSE and can calculate your overall (wall-to-wheels) efficiency including charging losses, please post that number in a comment along with your battery-to-wheels number so we can get an idea for typical charging+vampire losses.

Thanks!

(I also posted an identical poll on the M3OC forum. Please only vote in one poll to avoid double-counting responses.)

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine's now right at 241 Wh/mile with about 7000 miles on the car since early January, all kinds of driving, including cold and snow and high speed highway driving. I posted a photo somewhere in another thread where this came up. With a 75kWh battery that works out to almost exactly 310 miles of theoretical range. 18 inch Aero wheels with covers on (still).

Reid

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks so much for this poll. I'm elbows deep in trying to plan a solar installation for our house, and I was coming up with something like 250kWh per month for 1000mi/month. Call it 275kWh if you estimate 10% charging losses.

One of the installers was estimating based on miles/day and coming up with 1120mi/mo == 410kWh per month for the car, which works out to 366Wh per mile. That just sounds way high and is driving installation estimates up. I'm not sure where this comes from; likely an industry standard of somewhat-less-efficient electrics, as I know the Model 3 is more or less tops in that regard.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine (223) is with only 420 or so miles after almost a month of, obviously, very little driving which has been mostly urban side streets. The only highway driving was when I had to go back to the delivery center to sign something they forgot.

I have done a little windows open driving and, at speeds at or below 50mph, I don't think it's had much impact.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can I vote again? :) Now that it's getting warmer out, I'm getting noticeably better efficiencies, my average over the last 7000+ miles is now down to 239. Or perhaps the software updates are making Max more efficient? Either way, I'm not complaining.;)

jsmay311

Country
Country
Can I vote again? :) Now that it's getting warmer out, I'm getting noticeably better efficiencies, my average over the last 7000+ miles is now down to 239. Or perhaps the software updates are making Max more efficient? Either way, I'm not complaining.;)
I believe the poll allows people to change their vote.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mines 245, but I have fewer than 1,000 miles (in 2+ weeks whoops.) I've been driving it hard, showing it off to people, 5+ people have done high speed test drives. I think I'll likely be in the 230-240 range once it normalizes over time. I typically see between 220-240 on normal drives.

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Regarding charging efficiency losses - I have a Blink (yecch) charger that I got with my LEAF years ago. It measures the amount of energy that it passes along to the EV. So here's the numbers from the Blink and my Model 3 from the last few charges:

Code:
 Date     Tesla kWh        Blink kWh    Efficiency
05/08        33.9            37.6          90%
05/14        26.5            29.6          89%
05/20        32.2            35.7          90%
Note that this is measuring the loss from the EVSE to the Tesla, not from the electrical panel to the Tesla, so it's only measuring the efficiency of the Tesla's inverter, not any losses caused by the Blink EVSE itself.

That said, a 90% efficiency is pretty darn good. IIRC, someone measured the LEAF at around 83-86%

scottismyname

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After 2.5 weeks of driving and about 800 miles I am right around 250. This is pretty good to me considering I've shown the car off to people and been a bit aggressive on the throttle. Daily commutes I'm averaging about 225, so I imagine over time I'll settle down to around 230-240.

Peter3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a lifetime average of 199 wh/mi at 12k miles over 4 months. I have a daily commute of over 160mi in Northern California. I do hypermiling off and on to keep me around the 200 lifetime mark. It only costs me a few minutes difference. My most efficient commuting trip was about 155wh/mi. I do push the car at greenlights and when showing off to friends. My weekend average is usually in the 250 range.

Last edited:

Dangermouse

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI... here are the combined results of the TMC and M3OC polls to-date:

View attachment 10165
I would love for the 180-199 individual to weigh in on what they are doing. :)

I'm at 230...curiously, when I have gone out for a spirited drive, I always end up in the 208 range or so. I'm thinking the stomp acceleration is being mitigated by the inevitable heavy regen when slowing back down to somewhere closer to the speed limit.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think this is the one where the lower the number the better the efficiency right? I'm just learning about this, but think I'm going to lose this one, this car is too fun to drive. I'll report after the car has a few hundred miles on it.

Prkls

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm at 264 Wh/mi over the first 2200mi, 18" wheels, no aero caps, 42psi. About 50% of the miles are NorCal freeways between 75-80mph, rest a mix of freeway congestion, stop-and-go surface streets, punching out of lights giggling *and* couple of hundred miles of twisty mountain roads driving like I stole it. I have made *no* effort at range optimization, hypermiling, or such. A/C Auto @ 72F.

When I did my 100 mi roundtrip commute a bit more efficiently, autopilot set at 72mph about half of the total distance, rest in traffic down to stop and go, I got 229 Wh/mi. Very happy with overall efficiency.

Last edited:

350VDC

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
278 for 3000 miles. Coming from a Golf R my foot is a litle heavy. ok, a lot.

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
308 for just under 7000 miles... A lot of that was during winter and I have TACC set to +9, so mostly 79mph on the highway and I'm a bit hard on the accelerator. It is dropping rapidly now that we're in summer, I think my current trips are averaging around 260.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Im at 248 for the first 350 miles. But, I have to add that yes, I was testing acceleration quite a bit for at least 10% of that. Some early Sunday morning tests on the 280 (here in the bay area) to test off the line and 0-30 and 30-60/70 acceleration.

I tend to average higher speeds than most on highways. Mornings on the 280 are probably 78/82 mph. I have the AC set to 65 when it's on. Its just FAN when it's not. Temps haven't been too hot lately.

I think anything under 250 for that type/amount of driving is GOOD. I'd like to be able to get to 200w/mile if I'm trying to be conservative. I'm still trying to develop some hypermiling techniques for EV driving. Seems a bit odd to accelerate and lift off and coast on the highway too much.