Poll for Model 3 owners: Vampire drain rates?

What average rate of vampire drain (in miles lost per 24 hours) are you observing on your Model 3?

• 0-1 miles

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • 2-3 miles

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • 4-5 miles

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • 6-7 miles

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • 8-9 miles

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • 10-12 miles

Votes: 18 11.9%
  • 13-15 miles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 16-19 miles

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • 20+ miles

Votes: 9 6.0%

• Total voters

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don’t have definite data to prove this but since two days I have been loosing about 15 miles per day I turned off WiFi today (the car seems to loose 5 miles parked outside my garage during evening) and it seems to be a little bit better.
Wifi just doesn't use enough power to put that kind of a dent in your range.
I also switched cabin overheat protection to fan only.
Yeah, that's more likely the difference. Or it could just be a software bug.

First rule of tracking down the cause of a problem is to change one thing at a time, and check between every change you make.

viperd

Country
Country
This table shows that the Vampire drain doesn’t depend on time parked! You can find in the table:
Parked 4 hours 3km drop
Parked 1 hour 3km drop
Parked 1 hour 2km drop
Parked 1.5 hours 3km drop
Parked 10 hours 1 km drop
All together 12km drop, driven 58.3km
Battery drop 67km.
It depends on previous drive, maybe some battery conditioning or some other conditioning. You don’t have to wait 2 hours to see the drop in range.
It looks like you are combining vampire drain (battery loss while car is parked and you aren’t in it) with driving efficiency (Wh/KM).

Country
Country
It looks like you are combining vampire drain (battery loss while car is parked and you aren’t in it) with driving efficiency (Wh/KM).
Yes, because wall to wheels efficiency directly depends on vampire drain and the way you drive(battery to wheels efficiency). My opinion is that vampire drain depends on previous trip. Wall to wheels efficiency is for me more important than battery to wheels.

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
(*I posted an identical poll on the TMC forum. Please don't vote in both polls so as to avoid double-counting.)

Reading through the various threads on vampire drain in Model 3s, it seems like there’s a wide variety in how much vampire drain different owners are observing. So I was hoping this poll could help clarify what ranges of vampire drain rates are most typical, as well as what are the worst/best cases.

I understand that each owner’s vampire drain rate may be something of a moving target, given that firmware changes are happening somewhat regularly. So I’d just suggest that owners focus on what they’ve observed over the past 2 weeks.

Thanks!
The poll results are a bit misleading. Vampire drain has a higher impact in hotter environments. Cabin Overheat Protection will further contribute to vampire drain, and even if it's disabled, we have to take into account that the A/C will automatically run to prevent damage to the electronics on especially warm days. For example, two identical Model 3s (same settings) are parked within several feet of each other, but one is inside the garage and the other one is on the driveway, and it's 115 F outside. The one in the cool garage will have far less vampire drain, I'm certain.

jsmay311

Country
Country
The poll results are a bit misleading. Vampire drain has a higher impact in hotter environments. Cabin Overheat Protection will further contribute to vampire drain, and even if it's disabled, we have to take into account that the A/C will automatically run to prevent damage to the electronics on especially warm days. For example, two identical Model 3s (same settings) are parked within several feet of each other, but one is inside the garage and the other one is on the driveway, and it's 115 F outside. The one in the cool garage will have far less vampire drain, I'm certain.
Fair point.

On the other hand, I created the poll back in April when hot temperatures weren't much of a driver of vampire drain and before Cabin Overheat Protection even existed in the Model 3. And 80%+ of the replies were in the first few weeks after posting the poll. So any effects on the poll results from high temps would be minimal.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So, I have only had the car for 2 days. It is parked in the lot while I am off on a trip with cabin overheat off. I have checked In with the car at least 4 times and over a 24 hour period it has lost about 3 miles. It is in Atlanta with temp in the upper 80’s FWIW.

sakaike

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my car about a month ago with 24.1 installed. Battery drain was about 1.5% a day (4-5 miles). Got upgraded a few weeks ago to 26.1, and vampire drain decreased to about 1% (3 miles per day). Got 26.3 a few days ago and vampire drain went up to 3% (10 miles per day). No cabin overheat protection. Didn't wake the car much (once per day). Sits in a garage at about 80 degrees lately in SoCal. Anyone seeing something similar? I would have liked to have seen vampire drain stabilize at 1%. No other Tesla apps like TeslaFi installed. Kind of frustrating...

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I measured last night. I am on 26.3 and lost 0 miles from 9:30pm to 7:30am. I don't use overheat protection and have never installed any 3rd party apps. It is in the garage. On my previous software (24.8) I was losing 1-2 miles over night.

PaulK

Country
Country
Yesterday I got 28.2. But then overnight (in garage, app closed) it lost 4 miles. So, it seems no improvement going from few 24 to 28.2.

-Paul

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Parked in garage at home and I was away 4 days. Average was just under 2 miles/day.
Cabin cooling never had to work.
And although the WiFi signal isn't strong in the garage, it does connect to WiFi.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Recently I left the car unplugged for an extended period for the first time since delivery.

The conditions:
Firmware 2018.26.3
COP disabled.
Parked inside an open parking garage on a lower level in central Florida.
Ambient temperature roughly 75-85F.
Parked and locked with 201 miles range remaining.

The result:
In the first 2 hours the range decreased by 3 miles to 198.
Over the next 36 hours, the range decreased by 1 mile to 197.

So, in a 38 hour period range loss was 4 miles.

I'm happy with that.

Country
Country
If I leave it alone (don't open the app) then its pretty consistent at 1% loss per 24 hours. Has been that way since I got it early June with firmware 18.1. Garaged with temps between 70s-50s . Updated to 28.1 on Monday

A few weeks ago, I was out of town for two weeks and I would check it once per day at the same time. First day it lost 4% in 24 hours but each subsequent day it lost only 1% like clockwork.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Fair point.

On the other hand, I created the poll back in April when hot temperatures weren't much of a driver of vampire drain and before Cabin Overheat Protection even existed in the Model 3. And 80%+ of the replies were in the first few weeks after posting the poll. So any effects on the poll results from high temps would be minimal.
I wouldn't be so sure. Any car parked in the sun has a lot of heat gain. Temperatures in April/May are plenty warm enough in most areas of the country to allow cabin temperatures to rise into the "hot" area if the windows are rolled up.

wenx

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
why the power drains are so sporadic. my model 3 drains about 10-12 miles per day. that's too much for me. Tesla should fix this problem. Is there anyone sending the message to Elon about the power drain?
My wife already complains and regrades to by this car. almost all my friends are having different opinions about Model 3 now.
this phantom drain is a pain for me and Tesla should find a way to solve this problem. To ease the pain, I suggest Tesla
giving some free supercharge miles to the model 3 owners.

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
why the power drains are so sporadic. my model 3 drains about 10-12 miles per day. that's too much for me. Tesla should fix this problem. Is there anyone sending the message to Elon about the power drain?
Welcome! I see this is your first post.

Would you like to show us a photo of your car?

JimB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven’t paid too much attention to battery drain. I know I usually lose a few miles over night, but yesterday something strange happen. I got home about 11AM with the battery at 198 miles. The next morning at about 9AM it was at 202 miles. And, it wasn’t plugged in. I’m on 26.3. The temperature coming home was in the eighties, and in the next morning in the low seventies. The only other thing is that I climb 1000 ft during the last 3 miles coming home. Did the battery get unusually hot and then cool down or recover somehow?

Has anybody else experience anything like this?

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Has anybody else experience anything like this?
Yes, the range is just a guestimate based upon the most recent measurements (which can change). I often have a bit more range reported by the trip computer after letting it sit undisturbed for a while.

jsmay311

Country
Country
There's been a big influx of votes over the past few weeks, and the results have gotten quite a bit worse. (The graph below compares the latest results to a snapshot taken on May 8th). This is certainly not the direction I would have hoped to see.

I wonder if this is mainly to do with the introduction of Cabin Overheat Protection? I've read some speculation that even when COP isn't cooling the cabin, it still leads to higher vampire drain, possibly from preventing the car from fully going to sleep(?). (My brother is observing 5 miles lost over 12 hrs overnight when no cooling would be needed with COP on "fan only". I plan on doing some testing on my M3 next week.)

Or it might be possible that now that more non-enthusiasts have gotten Model 3's, this poll is now attracting a higher percentage of people who are observing high vampire drain and searching online about it, and therefore the results are getting skewed.(?) Idk.

upload_2018-8-25_14-36-2-png.13656

350VDC

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've just returned from a business trip and my car lost 40 miles in 87 hours parked in my garage with the Tesla App closed on my phone.
I lose up to 10 miles every night parked in my garage.