Poll for Model 3 owners: Vampire drain rates?

What average rate of vampire drain (in miles lost per 24 hours) are you observing on your Model 3?

• 0-1 miles

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • 2-3 miles

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • 4-5 miles

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • 6-7 miles

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • 8-9 miles

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • 10-12 miles

Votes: 18 11.9%
  • 13-15 miles

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 16-19 miles

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • 20+ miles

Votes: 9 6.0%

• Total voters

jsmay311

Country
Country
(*I posted an identical poll on the TMC forum. Please don't vote in both polls so as to avoid double-counting.)

Reading through the various threads on vampire drain in Model 3s, it seems like there’s a wide variety in how much vampire drain different owners are observing. So I was hoping this poll could help clarify what ranges of vampire drain rates are most typical, as well as what are the worst/best cases.

I understand that each owner’s vampire drain rate may be something of a moving target, given that firmware changes are happening somewhat regularly. So I’d just suggest that owners focus on what they’ve observed over the past 2 weeks.

Thanks!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll go with 2-3 based on losing 1 mile in half the time interval. That said I’ve had odd one off cases where I have lost more miles in less time.

Triangles

Country
Country
I have mine set to battery % so I have to guestimate. I recently lost 3% in about 36 hours so I'd say that would be about 2% in 24 hours. 1%=3.1 miles so 2%=6.2 miles.

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
When I was away for 10 days it was about 1-2 m/day loss. I got back and installed the Tezlab software to try and track things more directly and the drain has increased to 5+ m/day loss. Is this what people expect from third party software querying the system?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used to be about 10 miles when I was at work. Now with the recent up dates I have only lost maybe 1-2 miles.

cfool_tm

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am a new M3 owner this week. I forced the sw update on Monday night to the latest summon / wifi version and I am seeing a drain of between 15-20 miles in a 24hr period.

PaulK

Country
Country
$7-$15 per month additional cost to own a Model 3 (due to vampire drain)?

If we expect to lose 2% per day, check my math:

This is about 7 miles per day.
270Wh/m = 1.8kWh loss per day
If elec cost is $0.25/kWh

Then the Model 3 will cost about $15 in electricity cost per month just parked. Half that at 3.5% loss (more typical of the poll responders).

At today's gas prices, that's the same as about 4 gallons of gas. Or 120 miles in an ICE car.

And actually worse, that 1.8kWh loss per day is probably over 2kWh from the wall after charging losses.

Did I do that correctly?

-Paul

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
$7-$15 per month additional cost to own a Model 3 (due to vampire drain)?

If we expect to lose 2% per day, check my math:

This is about 7 miles per day.
270Wh/m = 1.8kWh loss per day
If elec cost is $0.25/kWh

Then the Model 3 will cost about $15 in electricity cost per month just parked. Half that at 3.5% loss (more typical of the poll responders).

At today's gas prices, that's the same as about 4 gallons of gas. Or 120 miles in an ICE car.

And actually worse, that 1.8kWh loss per day is probably over 2kWh from the wall after charging losses.

Did I do that correctly?

-Paul
You should measure the phantom drain as lost range per hour not in percentage. Without normalizing it per hour, the figure would be variable and depends on how many hours the car has been idle.
The attached graph shows the distribution of phantom drain across different users (Modes S/X/3).

Attachments

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
My vampire drain is huge and it depends on driving sessions, not on parked time.
Technically, phantom drain is defined as lost range while the car is parked/idle.
There is another metric that is related to efficiency of driving sessions and is typically referred to as "efficiency" which is the ratio of actual miles driven to the reduction in "rated range". For example, when efficiency is 100%, the "rated range" is exactly equal to the actual range.

Country
Country
I am really frustrated by the "wall to wheels" efficiency, which is in my case about 32% average increase for more than 1000 miles. I switched to km to have better resolution. This is what i had yesterday:

My battery drop was 67km, i drove 58.3km, the efficiency battery to wheels was 140Wh/km, and wall to wheels was 186Wh/km (32.8% increase). Colleague of mine has also model 3, and he was driving same distance, and he was charging on same charger. His efficiency was lower, he probably had AC on, and more hills or whatever, and his efficiency was 160Wh/km. but he also had 58km and battery drop of 67km and he also used 10.8kWh to charge, but his wall to wheels increase was only 16.2%. It looks like the vampire drain on my car had huge effect on "wall to wheels" efficiency.

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I am really frustrated by the "wall to wheels" efficiency, which is in my case about 32% average increase for more than 1000 miles. I switched to km to have better resolution. This is what i had yesterday:

My battery drop was 67km, i drove 58.3km, the efficiency battery to wheels was 140Wh/km, and wall to wheels was 186Wh/km (32.8% increase). Colleague of mine has also model 3, and he was driving same distance, and he was charging on same charger. His efficiency was lower, he probably had AC on, and more hills or whatever, and his efficiency was 160Wh/km. but he also had 58km and battery drop of 67km and he also used 10.8kWh to charge, but his wall to wheels increase was only 16.2%. It looks like the vampire drain on my car had huge effect on "wall to wheels" efficiency.
Your wh/km is actually great. I ignore the short trips. 167Wh/km = 267 Wh/mi: that's better than 100% efficiency which you get at ~280 Wh/mi

Country
Country
Your wh/km is actually great. I ignore the short trips. 167Wh/km = 267 Wh/mi: that's better than 100% efficiency which you get at ~280 Wh/mi
My average efficiency is 171Wh/km(275Wh/mi). This measurement was experiment with no ac and no accelerations. But most important part of the table is vampire drain which was 21.8% of milage used. That is huge vampire drain.

PaulK

Country
Country

My early observations are about the same, using the reported data from a Juicebox 40. 25% - 30% increase in power consumption from the wall, than the car reports "battery - to - wheel". I am also frustrated with the charging losses, and disappointed in the phantom (vampire) drain while parked (7-8 miles per day, I observe).

-Paul

Stats App

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
My average efficiency is 171Wh/km(275Wh/mi). This measurement was experiment with no ac and no accelerations. But most important part of the table is vampire drain which was 21.8% of milage used. That is huge vampire drain.
To measure vampire drain do this:
When you park, read the rated range
Let the car be parked for at least two hours (e.g., overnight)
Read the rated range after the time interval

VD = delta_rated_range / time_parked

My phantom drain is around 0.2 mph

Country
Country
To measure vampire drain do this:
When you park, read the rated range
Let the car be parked for at least two hours (e.g., overnight)
Read the rated range after the time interval

VD = delta_rated_range / time_parked

My phantom drain is around 0.2 mph
This table shows that the Vampire drain doesn’t depend on time parked! You can find in the table:
Parked 4 hours 3km drop
Parked 1 hour 3km drop
Parked 1 hour 2km drop
Parked 1.5 hours 3km drop
Parked 10 hours 1 km drop
All together 12km drop, driven 58.3km
Battery drop 67km.
It depends on previous drive, maybe some battery conditioning or some other conditioning. You don’t have to wait 2 hours to see the drop in range.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If the car had on WiFi and it does not have WiFi network to connect to does it switch to LTE or keep searching for WiFi networks? I don’t have definite data to prove this but since two days I have been loosing about 15 miles per day I turned off WiFi today (the car seems to loose 5 miles parked outside my garage during evening) and it seems to be a little bit better. I also switched cabin overheat protection to fan only. Will post more findings as I do some more tests.