Plugging in at home during vacation

OKCU

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We will be on a 16 vacation. What is recommended, keep the M3 plugged in to the 120V outlet, or do not plug it an at all? I am aware not to wake up the car during this time, because it can drain the battery more.

Thanks.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lower the charge level to somewhere between 50% and 70%, plug it in and forget about it.

Wake it and check on it all you want if it is plugged in, no worry or concern over a drained battery.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lower the charge level to somewhere between 50% and 70%, plug it in and forget about it.

Wake it and check on it all you want if it is plugged in, no worry or concern over a drained battery.
To just add to what @GDN has already said, I’ll provide a little of my experiences. My wife and I charge up to 80 or 90% before we leave, then lower the max strength of charge to 50% with our cars plugged into a 120 outlet. Then we just let it discharge while we’re on vacation and let them be. We don’t wake ours much if it all, but it shouldn’t be an issue.
In the dead of winter, we were gone for 2 weeks and my wife and I arrived home to about 74% for her S (she charges to 90%) and about 66% for my 3 (I charge to 80%). Our garage is attached but not insulated. For this time of year, you likely can be gone that entire 16 days and come home to a surprisingly small amount of lost charge (factors the impact this being the temperature, your settings, waking the car, probably others I’m forgetting). I personally just like the plugged in status of the 120 while we’re away. No reasoning behind it I guess except for placebo peace of mind (“something might happen!!” - me, thanks to my mom’s side) 😜

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We will be on a 16 vacation. What is recommended, keep the M3 plugged in to the 120V outlet, or do not plug it an at all?
tesla recommends leaving the car plugged in as much as possible.

As suggested by GDN, set the charge level to 50% before leaving. If you're going to need more range right away when you return, then you can use your phone to increase the charge level to something higher before you get back home.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We will be on a 16 vacation. What is recommended, keep the M3 plugged in to the 120V outlet, or do not plug it an at all? I am aware not to wake up the car during this time, because it can drain the battery more.

Thanks.
Just keep it plugged in to whatever you have available, a wall charger from Tesla is your best option. As long as it is plugged in you don't have to worry about waking it up. The don't wake it up part is for people that leave their cars unplugged for periods of time. Like the others said, set your limit so its not at a high SOC, plug it in and enjoy your trip.

Last edited:

stlgrym3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i was just about to post a similar topic before i saw this. i'll be going on to a two week vacation myself, i only use 120v wall charger in my garage. so the best practice to go about this is to set the battery limit to 50% and just leave the car plugged in? my washer is using the same plug as my Tesla, do i have to worry about using the washer while the Tesla is plugged in on the same circuit? i know the charger will stop charging after reaches battery limit, but just wanna make sure circuit break won't trip if using washer at the same time.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

RocketRay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's what we did with RR1 when we were gone for two weeks in March. Set it at 50%, checked it from time to time on the trip (even from Marrakech), car was great for another 3 weeks after we returned.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country

Thanks.
One date point: not plugged in, not woken up, no third party apps installed, 15 days, lost 8%. YMMV.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Thanks. So leaving my car plugged in while on vacation is out of question then unless I find another 120v plug for it.
You don't NEED to plug it in if you are on a vacation and you don't wake the car up, run sentry mode or cabin overheat mode.

Last month I parked my car for 15 days in Southfield MI and left with 87% SOC and returned with 79% SOC.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. So leaving my car plugged in while on vacation is out of question then unless I find another 120v plug for it.
There's a device called a "Dryer Buddy" that lets you share a single 240v outlet between a dryer and an EVSE. It automatically turns off the EVSE whenever the dryer is running. I wonder if they make a 120v version of that device?

https://www.bsaelectronics.com/collections/dryer-buddys