Plugged in just at night, or all day and all night?

I've read that "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" and plan to have my Model 3 plugged in every night at home. My workplace is going to be installing Tesla chargers soon however, which would allow me to charge at the office on the days that I'm there and save the electricity on my home bill those 5 days and only charge at home over the weekends.

Just wondering if it would be better to plug in both at home and at work when possible to maximize longevity of the battery (roughly 22 hours a day), or if the difference from being plugged in only ~11 hours a day would be negligible over time?

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Negligible. Do what's easiest for you. Plug in day, night, or both.

Country
Country
I have heard it's best to keep the battery charged up to 80% and discharged not less than 20%. Besides that, keeping it plugged in whenever possible does not make much sense to me. If I were you, I would charge at my work as much as possible and save my own electric bill as much as possible. It all adds up eventually. Save when you can.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I've read that "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" and plan to have my Model 3 plugged in every night at home. My workplace is going to be installing Tesla chargers soon however, which would allow me to charge at the office on the days that I'm there and save the electricity on my home bill those 5 days and only charge at home over the weekends.

Just wondering if it would be better to plug in both at home and at work when possible to maximize longevity of the battery (roughly 22 hours a day), or if the difference from being plugged in only ~11 hours a day would be negligible over time?
Elon’s past comments have suggested keeping the battery’s typical cycle around the 50% point is the best for longevity. If your commute is very short and your weather is warm, you could charge to 70% and discharge to 30% before recharging. For longer commutes or cold weather, you could charge to 80% and discharge to 20-30% or, like me, charge to 90% because it’s still freezing here and I typically recharge at the end of the day at 40-50% because I want the extra reserve if I need to run any unplanned errands. When the weather’s warmer, I usually charge to 70 or 80%.

In terms of splitting the charge at work, I presume you don’t pay for electricity at work so that’s a big plus. You may want to consider charging only at work to save money. Of course if you need to share the work charger, that may be an issue also.

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If your commute is very short and your weather is warm, you could charge to 70% and discharge to 30% before recharging.
So that's better than plugging in daily, regardless of whether you need a charge?

Most weekdays I'll be putting 10-15 miles on it *at most.* So... best to charge to 70%, drive it for however long until down to 30% before plugging in again?

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm not sure if this is the best way, but I plan to charge to 80% every day at work since it's only 11 cents/kWh. At home I only plan on charging on weekends or holidays when I'm not planning on going to work the next day. I'm going to try to avoid discharging all the way and will only charge to 90 or 100% when I'm on a road trip somewhere and really need the extra miles.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I charge to 90% (still not exactly warm here) and then use it for days until I get in the 30s. I charged Sunday this week and today I have 36%. I’ll probably run some errands in a bit, come home for the night and charge to 90% again.
And I really think the best advice I saw (though I can’t recall or link to where it was) was to just not worry about it/don’t overthink it. If someone told me my method was bad and explained why, I’d no doubt pay attention, but in the end I think the batteries are well made and will last a good amount of time with minimal range loss as long as you avoid the extremes.

Edit: extremes being 100% charge (and not leaving right away) and getting under 20% on a regular basis.