Planning Trip from Los Angeles to Post Falls Idaho, need advice

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

ULEWZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am planning my first trip from Los Angeles to Post Falls, Idaho (right next to Coeur D' Alene), and have some questions.
I figure a half way point is a good place to spend the night, probably Klamath Falls Oregon, or a little further to Bend Oregon. Are either of these places advisable, and is it worth it to pick the only place with a single J1772 charger within miles?
Any advise in these Covid times on places to eat and bathroom breaks?
Any other advice like a particular charging lock for overnight?
I have brand new tires and AAA, so is it worth it to buy a Spare Tire Kit for this trip?
Thanks, I am making this trip to visit an ailing Father In Law that is totally fascinated with my Tesla (video chat) and desperately wants to see it. Must be the engineer in him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
is it worth it to pick the only place with a single J1772 charger within miles?
It can be nice to pick a hotel with L2 charging. Then you can start the day with a full charge and skip one supercharging stop. But I wouldn't go very far out of my way - or pay more than I normally would - for the convenience.
I have brand new tires and AAA, so is it worth it to buy a Spare Tire Kit for this trip?
Not for this one trip, no. If you get a flat, you'll just have to wait for a tow truck to come help you.

Thanks, I am making this trip to visit an ailing Father In Law that is totally fascinated with my Tesla (video chat) and disparately wants to see it. Must be the engineer in him.
That's very nice of you. I hope he appreciates you making the trip!

I suggest jumping in your Tesla, put the destination into the onboard navigation, and take a look at the route it recommends. In particular, see if the supercharging stations that it recommends are very busy. The car will tell you the current occupancy of superchargers - you can't find that information anywhere else. I know that sometimes California supercharging stations end up with long lines of Teslas waiting to charge. It might be worth considering taking this alternate route through Nevada if that appears to be an issue:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=f43da3df-450d-44cf-8b5a-2f076ff59329

ULEWZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It can be nice to pick a hotel with L2 charging. Then you can start the day with a full charge and skip one supercharging stop. But I wouldn't go very far out of my way - or pay more than I normally would - for the convenience.
Not for this one trip, no. If you get a flat, you'll just have to wait for a tow truck to come help you.

That's very nice of you. I hope he appreciates you making the trip!

I suggest jumping in your Tesla, put the destination into the onboard navigation, and take a look at the route it recommends. In particular, see if the supercharging stations that it recommends are very busy. The car will tell you the current occupancy of superchargers - you can't find that information anywhere else. I know that sometimes California supercharging stations end up with long lines of Teslas waiting to charge. It might be worth considering taking this alternate route through Nevada if that appears to be an issue:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=f43da3df-450d-44cf-8b5a-2f076ff59329
I have actually looked at that route as an alternative. Way more scenic, but the remoteness could be an issue if there are mechanical issues. Lots to think about.
Any advise on eating and bathroom breaks?

FRC

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have actually looked at that route as an alternative. Way more scenic, but the remoteness could be an issue if there are mechanical issues. Lots to think about.
Any advise on eating and bathroom breaks?
Check your planned charging stops on google maps. Most charging locations have numerous eating establishments around, and most of these maintain reasonably clean bathroom facilities. I just finished a 5600 mile road trip from the southeast thru the northeast and midwest, and I had no issues with bathrooms and food.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm nowhere near the west coast, so I can't answer the location specific questions, but I can take a shot at the rest:

is it worth it to pick the only place with a single J1772 charger within miles?

That's a personal decision based on how much charging you're doing on the way, how much you're willing to pay, and whether the hotel is to your tastes. Be aware though that a lot of hotels' staffs will be angry if you leave the car at the charging station all night. So you might have to stay awake until it's charged.

Wear a mask, wash your hands, use hand sanitizer when you return to the car. If a place looks uncomfortably crowded, don't go there.

At a hotel, doubtful it's needed. But see above - they might not allow you to leave the car plugged in overnight.

With new tires, it's extremely unlikely you'll get a flat on a highway, as long as you pay full attention and avoid any debris. It's not worth the decreased cargo room and additional weight.

ULEWZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the replies. I am hopeful to try this trip soon. It is going to be tight with two carryon bags, two sets of golf clubs, and a cooler. Looks like one carryon bag in the fronk, one in the trunk lower area, and the golf clubs in the back. Need to figure out the cooler location. Plus my tool bag and a pump.

Rush

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am planning my first trip from Los Angeles to Post Falls, Idaho (right next to Coeur D' Alene), and have some questions.
I figure a half way point is a good place to spend the night, probably Klamath Falls Oregon, or a little further to Bend Oregon. Are either of these places advisable, and is it worth it to pick the only place with a single J1772 charger within miles?
Thanks, I am making this trip to visit an ailing Father In Law that is totally fascinated with my Tesla (video chat) and desperately wants to see it. Must be the engineer in him.

When I got my M3 in April 2019, I drove it for a couple weeks to get used to it and then set off to the East coast, NYC, Long Island to see friends and family. I just used the onboard navigation system and stopped at the superchargers. At night I found a Holiday Inn or equiv and spent the night. I had no problems for the trip to and trip back. It was blast using FSD that was so limited compared to now. Food wise, I just ate at the convience stores or the fast foods at the Superchargers.
I know with Covid it would be different now, but still an enjoyable trip.
Just wear a mask when you get out of the car... stay safe.
Best
Rush

ULEWZ

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for the comments. I have since come and gone from Idaho, and just returned from another 1,400 miler to Austin Tx. I think I have finally figured this thing out during Covid times.

Reactions: 3 people