Pixelated Rear View Camera - Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

atebit

Event Horizon II
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I couldn’t see any pixelation in that photo. Are you talking about the herringboning (grid-like pattern)? Back in the days when TVs had knobs you had to turn, herringbone was often caused by signal interference. So I wonder if it’s a bad/loose cable (also assuming its a composite video signal)?

Kenttt

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I couldn’t see any pixelation in that photo. Are you talking about the herringboning (grid-like pattern)? Back in the days when TVs had knobs you had to turn, herringbone was often caused by signal interference. So I wonder if it’s a bad/loose cable (also assuming its a composite video signal)?
Pixelated might have been a little extreme for a word choice. But I’m talking about the quality of the camera is definitely not as good as my model S.

For example: the white car or the white building in the center of the picture. You can barely make out the outlines of the objects.

Or the two gray cars in the parking spaces. You can’t see what kind of cars they are or see their license plate number.

Or, if there is a car about 1 to 1.5 car space behind me, I would barely be able to make out the license plate number.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Or the two gray cars in the parking spaces. You can’t see what kind of cars they are or see their license plate number.

Or, if there is a car about 1 to 1.5 car space behind me, I would barely be able to make out the license plate number.
The rear BACKUP camera is not intended to be a dashcam that you can read license plates from. It’s intended to assist in backing up

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It’s not THAT bad...I can tell one of the cars is a Lexus E350 and I think the other is a newer RAV-4. I agree with MelindaV - it’s a back-up cam to assist with just that. I like the fish-eye view it offers. My current car has that and it has saved me from a few cross-traffic mishaps in parking lots. And while I don’t see it displayed on yours, doesn’t it display the distance in feet for the closeness of the object you’re closing in on?

teslarob

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
And while I don’t see it displayed on yours, doesn’t it display the distance in feet for the closeness of the object you’re closing in on?
No distance from the backup camera, but the park sensors do show a distance once you're within a few feet.

At backing up the lag every two-three seconds makes it horrible, and dangerous. I need to know where my car is as close to real time as possible.
If the imaged displayed on the screen has a 2-3 second lag, there's an issue with your car. That is not normal. The display resolution/brightness has been updated through software updates at least once already, and I'm sure will be updated again. The entire car computer system on Model 3 is quite different from Model S and X, so things like this may not be perfect initially, but should be improved over time.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No distance from the backup camera, but the park sensors do show a distance once you're within a few feet.

If the imaged displayed on the screen has a 2-3 second lag, there's an issue with your car. That is not normal. The display resolution/brightness has been updated through software updates at least once already, and I'm sure will be updated again. The entire car computer system on Model 3 is quite different from Model S and X, so things like this may not be perfect initially, but should be improved over time.
Yes and No ...... there is only so much that can be done with software if the camera has low resolution. Does anyone know anything about the difference between the specs of the camera used the model 3 vs the S&X

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Ditto, absolutely no lag on our backup camera, so you may want that checked out.

The fisheye distortion on the 3 sucks, but I understand the limitations given the screen is narrower than the S/X. Still, hope they can improve it via software.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes and No ...... there is only so much that can be done with software if the camera has low resolution. Does anyone know anything about the difference between the specs of the camera used the model 3 vs the S&X
Honestly the first few weeks of our ownership, I felt the backup camera of the 3 was even better than the S/X (a friend and fellow Tesla owner agreed). But then came a firmware updated and quality seemed to get grainier. OR... they vastly improved the S/X backup camera so now it's surpassed the 3.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The rear BACKUP camera is not intended to be a dashcam that you can read license plates from. It’s intended to assist in backing up
+1... although camera is good enough that you CAN read the plate number if the car behind is ~3 feet away (albeit a mirror image). I wish there was a screengrab feature so I could take the plate of tailgaters. :)

atebit

Event Horizon II
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yeah no appreciable lag on my camera either. If there was, I’m the kind of PITA that would’ve been all over that by now.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here is a perfect shot of the issue that I have.

The sun isn’t even behind my car and the street and parking lines are all one shade of white though of course they’re not.

fc702abc-ed24-4090-98aa-ce161a3a33f9-jpeg.6469

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here is a perfect shot of the issue that I have.

The sun isn’t even behind my car and the street and parking lines are all one shade of white though of course they’re not.

View attachment 6469
From my comparisons between the new and old firmware, the whites are less blown out on the new firmware, so that should help.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You're on 10.1, right?
Nope still 4.9. My friend whose car we did the comparisons on is 10.1. Big different in person with camera quality and colors, more than was captured in our photos. Sorry I couldn't get a direct sunlight photo like you wanted, it's been raining in CA a lot these past weeks so not much sun lately.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Nope still 4.9. My friend whose car we did the comparisons on is 10.1. Big different in person with camera quality and colors, more than was captured in our photos. Sorry I couldn't get a direct sunlight photo like you wanted, it's been raining in CA a lot these past weeks so not much sun lately.
I'm very anxious for 10.1 to see if it helps!!

barjohn

Country
Country
I wonder if one could swap the camera for the Model S one? Another nice software feature would allow the screen to be split into 3s, the left panel stays the same but the right is split horizontally to allow full time use of a quality backup camera like the S allows and Nav in the other panel. Flexibility to use when desired or not would be great. I have an S and have driven a 3 and there is no comparison between the usability of the backup cameras. The super fisheye and low resolution make the 3's far more difficult to use. I can easily use the S backup camera to actually backup into a parking spot with good visibility of the side marker lines and where the parking spot ends. Not so easy when distances are so distorted.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wonder if one could swap the camera for the Model S one? Another nice software feature would allow the screen to be split into 3s, the left panel stays the same but the right is split horizontally to allow full time use of a quality backup camera like the S allows and Nav in the other panel. Flexibility to use when desired or not would be great. I have an S and have driven a 3 and there is no comparison between the usability of the backup cameras. The super fisheye and low resolution make the 3's far more difficult to use. I can easily use the S backup camera to actually backup into a parking spot with good visibility of the side marker lines and where the parking spot ends. Not so easy when distances are so distorted.
Version 10.1 on the 3 drastically improved the camera quality and fish eye distortion.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Version 10.1 on the 3 drastically improved the camera quality and fish eye distortion.
I was fortunate for the update gods to bestow 2018.10.5 on my Model 3today, and I agree, meaningful improvement in rear camera views. I particularly like the less fish eye distortion, and less “noise” in low light.