Pittsburgh Area: Where to get car inspected

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tesla does not have the cars inspected before delivery, so it's necessary to get your new Tesla inspected within the first ten days.

Since many shops are unfamiliar with Teslas, and I didn't want to trust my new car with just anybody, I asked someone at the delivery center in Wexford if they had a shop that they could recommend.

They recommended the Firestone in Cranberry Township, just three miles north of the delivery center, and said that they handle a lot of Teslas. I took mine there, and the service manager asked for my card (not key), and said that they handle a lot of Teslas (but admitted that this was just the second 3 that he had personally handled). Everything went well, so I feel good about sharing this recommendation.

Firestone Complete Auto Care
20030 Route 19
Cranberry Twp, PA 16066
website
map

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Thank you for the tip. I definitely would like to go somewhere that they know the basics of how to deal with a Tesla. I’ll try them out.

Caulin

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I went to my long term car mechanic. They hired someone new last year that I don’t care for. He insisted that I still had to pay for emissions and put an ugly emissions sticker on my windshield. I removed it the next day and as I was walking through the door 24 hours later, he already had my $20 in hand

tnc0419

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi @garsh! I am a new model 3 owner in Pittsburgh. I just scheduled my safety inspection with Firestone in Cranberry Township for Tuesday May 26th. 2 years later, do you sill recommend it?

Anyone else have recommendations closer to the city? I tried NTB on Penn and Negley but they won't do it.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Hi @garsh! I am a new model 3 owner in Pittsburgh. I just scheduled my safety inspection with Firestone in Cranberry Township for Tuesday May 26th. 2 years later, do you sill recommend it?

Anyone else have recommendations closer to the city? I tried NTB on Penn and Negley but they won't do it.
I’ve been going to the Cranberry Firestone for a couple of years without any issues. Note that not all Firestone’s will do Tesla’s - I know one in Monroeville and one in Wexford will not.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm still taking my car there. They still seem fine.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi @garsh! I am a new model 3 owner in Pittsburgh.
BTW, can you fix the location field in your profile?
I'm not sure what "pm.YT/MizfRC7aC6o+AHqAe6" is supposed to mean, but you might as well fix it since you've outed yourself as a yinzer. ;)

psuKinger

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
*SUPER* useful thread here. Actually brought me to this site via google search. Bummer that it isn't "better news," but it is what it is.

I can't bring myself to take it back to my local GM dealership that I've been using for this sort of thing for the last 15 years, after *ditching* them for this new car (which I love). Minor PITA that I have to deal with this with my brand new car (yada yada yada). Buddy of mine just referred me to his "local guy," texted him and got confirmation that he's willing to look at it... does anyone on here think I need to bring any "special equipment" (those "pucks" I've seen mentioned on youtube videos, etc) for a "local mechanic" to do this? Firestone Cranberry isn't super-convenient for me (probably ~50 minutes each way)... but if that's the best (only good??) option, then this thread is of great value/usefulness....

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Welcome! :)
does anyone on here thing I need to bring any "special equipment" (those "pucks" I've seen mentioned on youtube videos, etc) for a "local mechanic" to do this?
The lift points are kind of small, and right next to the plastic rocker panel trim pieces. If you don't use something like these "pucks" to make sure the lift only touches the lift points, then you're likely to scratch those trim pieces, or possibly even damage them if you accidentally slide off of the lift point.

I'd have trouble trusting a mechanic who hasn't worked on a Tesla before to get that right. Or if this mechanic regularly works on sports cars, they may be more used to these sorts of "close tolerance" issues.

psuKinger

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Welcome! :)The lift points are kind of small, and right next to the plastic rocker panel trim pieces. If you don't use something like these "pucks" to make sure the lift only touches the lift points, then you're likely to scratch those trim pieces, or possibly even damage them if you accidentally slide off of the lift point.

I'd have trouble trusting a mechanic who hasn't worked on a Tesla before to get that right. Or if this mechanic regularly works on sports cars, they may be more used to these sorts of "close tolerance" issues.
Ok good insight thanks. A couple follow-up questions for a Tesla newbie (who never owned a sports car and has no idea about these sorts of concerns either):
1. do you take these "pucks" to Firestone Cranberry or do they have everything they need?
2. and if "yes" to item #1 do you have a recommendation on what "pucks" are good pucks to buy? I would need to order quickly in order to have them in time to take somewhere within this 10 day window....

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model X
Ok good insight thanks. A couple follow-up questions for a Tesla newbie (who never owned a sports car and has no idea about these sorts of concerns either):
1. do you take these "pucks" to Firestone Cranberry or do they have everything they need?
2. and if "yes" to item #1 do you have a recommendation on what "pucks" are good pucks to buy? I would need to order quickly in order to have them in time to take somewhere within this 10 day window....
I have not taken my pucks to Cranberry Firestone and not had any problems. I do have a set for when we change our wheels at home. I bought them from someone on this forum (@No_petro). A quick search for model 3 lifting pads on Amazon also comes up with quite a few options.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I do not take them to Cranberry Firestone - they work on a lot of Teslas, so I trust them to get this part right.
I bought these pucks to use at home:
Amazon product

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The image below shows just how close the plastic rocker trim is to the lifting point hole. It wraps around it and isn't recessed much at all either.

psuKinger

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
OK guys great. I will heed the advice of fellow (experienced) owners and run it out to Firestone Cranberry. We'll use it as an excuse to take a joy ride in the new car. Maybe even double-duty it with a Sam's Club run or such, realize some "efficiencies" somehow :) Thanks again for the quality information and guidance. I really appreciate it.