Phone Account Requires Re-Login

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Curious if others are seeing this same issue.

Android phone with Tesla ap installed. Have owned car (Mdl 3) since October, 18. So far, on five (5) occasions when launching the Tesla ap on my phone it wants me to login again. ??? I must re-enter my password each time this happens to have the ap connect to the car. Problem is I always use LONG, complex passwords (40+ characters) for all on-line accounts and there is no way I can possibly remember the password (and I don't even try to) if I'm not near a computer with my password database available.

Is anyone else seeign their phone ap logged-out periodically?

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
40+ character password(s)?!!?
Indeed. I don't mess around with security things I have some control over. If 50 charactes are allowed, that's more better. But it's rare that current coders allow that much space for passwords (as if memory is precious??) - there ae still banks that allow a MAX of 8 characters - when was declared insecure by NIST 18 years ago!. I just don't do business with those.

But Internet Security is out of scope to this discussion.

NEO

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, annoying as hell too. Has happened on my pixel and my wife's iPhone X about the same number of times. I looked around the account settings but never found anything related.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Curious if others are seeing this same issue.

Android phone with Tesla ap installed. Have owned car (Mdl 3) since October, 18. So far, on five (5) occasions when launching the Tesla ap on my phone it wants me to login again. ??? I must re-enter my password each time this happens to have the ap connect to the car. Problem is I always use LONG, complex passwords (40+ characters) for all on-line accounts and there is no way I can possibly remember the password (and I don't even try to) if I'm not near a computer with my password database available.

Is anyone else seeign their phone ap logged-out periodically?
Yep, and btw, 40+ character passwords are bad, for exactly the reason you indicate.

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It’s happened to me several times since I got my 3 last Fall, including this morning. (I was going to say not for a while but then checked the app this morning, lol.)

nonStopSwagger

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I use the built in password manager Google provide on Android, as the password I use for Tesla is machine generated. No way could I memorize it.

Whenever Tesla force me to enter the password, Android auto fills the field.

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yep, and btw, 40+ character passwords are bad, for exactly the reason you indicate.
I beg to differ. The LONGER the password is, the more secure (in addition to the storing site using a modern hash). The whole idea of using a password manager is that one never knows [or needs to know] the password to individual sites - no need to try to remember any of them. Use a different, Looooong, complex password for each site.

and how long is the password to the password keeping app?
30 is fine since it also requires 2FA and a fingerprint to access. That's three things. And it's not easily accessible from anywhere in the world to hack - like all websites are.

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Whenever Tesla force me to enter the password, Android auto fills the field.
iPhone as well, if you set up shared keychain; guessing it would with some 3rd party password manager

For those talking 2FA, if the code is sent to your phone/car key how does that help there?

Milo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Happens periodically to me (Moto Z2 Android), more often to my wife (iPhone). I enabled fingerprint login, so I don't even notice it much.

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have had to re-enter my password after the Tesla app updated (iOS - iPhone XS Max) outside of that the app has stayed logged in for me.
Curious. My app version (android) has been updated twice since I've been using it and never asked for a password on an update.

It just randomly requires me to login again. No rhyme or reason so far. And I see others have also had this issue. Maybe it's Elon's fault?