Phasing Out Two Paint Colors

JMZMartin

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Saw on Elektrek that Obsidian Black Metallic and Silver Metallic paint options were being phased out. Glad I got silver when I did even if it's not quite as popular. I seem to recall someone mentioning there aren't a whole lot of OBM Model 3s either. I wasn't aware the paint process was such a bottleneck in the production process. Maybe this will help?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Saw on Elektrek that Obsidian Black Metallic and Silver Metallic paint options were being phased out. Glad I got silver when I did even if it's not quite as popular. I seem to recall someone mentioning there aren't a whole lot of OBM Model 3s either. I wasn't aware the paint process was such a bottleneck in the production process. Maybe this will help?
White and red are apparently the hardest to paint and those aren’t going anywhere. I read it as silver and obsidian black are the popular so it disputs their plans for volume batching

Gavyne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good for efficiency improvement. These are likely the two least bought colors. Any time they spend batch producing cars with these colors, they are not producing the more popular colors. Paint shop is one of their primary bottlenecks as confirmed not long ago.

OrangeJulius

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As black was the sole no-extra-cost, base price option, will:
- another color take its no-extra-cost place?
- the $1,000 charge for all the remaining colors be subsumed, raising the base price?
- the $1,000 charge for all the remaining colors be eliminated?

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As black was the sole no-extra-cost, base price option, will:
- another color take its no-extra-cost place?
- the $1,000 charge for all the remaining colors be subsumed, raising the base price?
- the $1,000 charge for all the remaining colors be eliminated?
Obsidian Black and the no-cost black are different colors and I've only seen it reported that Obsidian Black is going away.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was on the fence between Obsidian Black Metallic and Midnight Silver Metallic. Ordered MSM because the OBM looks a lot like the free black from a few feet away or when dirty. My last 4 cars have been black, so it was initially my first choice. I have an order in for a low option dual motor (only price adder was paint color...meaning my delivery is not being prioritized).
With the phase out, they are being expedited in the 2 discontinued colors, so I am considering switching to the OBM in hopes of a delivery this month. I get to keep the old price cost, so the only change is my destination and doc fee goes up $200.
If I stick with MSM, I'm thinking my delivery will be pushed back a little further because of the priority for the 2 discontinued colors.
Am I crazy?

back51

Country
Country
I was on the fence between Obsidian Black Metallic and Midnight Silver Metallic. Ordered MSM because the OBM looks a lot like the free black from a few feet away or when dirty. My last 4 cars have been black, so it was initially my first choice. I have an order in for a low option dual motor (only price adder was paint color...meaning my delivery is not being prioritized).
With the phase out, they are being expedited in the 2 discontinued colors, so I am considering switching to the OBM in hopes of a delivery this month. I get to keep the old price cost, so the only change is my destination and doc fee goes up $200.
If I stick with MSM, I'm thinking my delivery will be pushed back a little further because of the priority for the 2 discontinued colors.
Am I crazy?
Others have mentioned your final MVPA will only be $1000 for the doc fees (when you originally placed order) vs $1200. So you might not be out that extra $200.

Dinozero

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Am I crazy?
I would switch to OBM if you are interested in a heartbeat. You wont' pay that extra 200.

If I was still waiting for a VIN i would probably switch to Silver Metallic right now.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not at all. If I were buying today I’d welcome the opportunity to order a color that would give me some level of exclusivity going forward. Good luck and enjoy!
Exclusivity is nice, but it won't mean anything really for resale value. I had a rare/exclusive color combo on a previous car that meant nothing after the fact (other than it was a combo I liked). That's not a big deal to me though. I've always liked black cars.

Others have mentioned your final MVPA will only be $1000 for the doc fees (when you originally placed order) vs $1200. So you might not be out that extra $200.
Nice, I thought so, but when you edit config, it appears to have the $1200 D&D, so it's not clear that it would have stayed at the original $1000.

I would switch to OBM if you are interested in a heartbeat. You won't' pay that extra 200.

If I was still waiting for a VIN I would probably switch to Silver Metallic right now.
I bought a 2012 Impreza Sport in Obsidian Black Pearl/Dark Grey Metallic two-tone. (That was a rare combo, and was discontinued after that model year.)
Then, I traded that for a 2015 Forester XT in Crystal Black Silica, which had a similar metallic effect, but I don't think it was the rainbow metallic flakes like the Tesla OBM, more greens, and blues, I think.
Then, I traded that for a 2017 Forester XT Touring also in Crystal Black Silica. This one was rear-ended after 4 months.
That was traded for my 2017 GMC Canyon in Onyx Black (which is the plain black like the "free" black)

I would be happy long-term with either color, which should be the question anyone who is considering switching should have an answer to.
My wife is leaning towards the MSM, but her past car colors have been (White Audi Q5 currently, Black Jeep JK, Black X3, White Audi A4, another White Audi A4, etc.)

I saw an Audi A6 in black and a Kia Stinger in black on my way to work this morning, and they both looked nice and sleek. I'm leaning really a lot toward switching to OBM now. (Even though I bought some accessories that would coordinate better with the MSM.)

M3Pguy

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just placed an order for Metallic Silver, in hopes of cashing in on the quick turnaround. Order eta still says Nov. 18th. Anyone else have any more information about changed etas?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just placed an order for Metallic Silver, in hopes of cashing in on the quick turnaround. Order eta still says Nov. 18th. Anyone else have any more information about changed etas?
Nov '18, and Nov 18th are different. One describes a month in the year 2018, the other describes the 18th day of November.

I called Tesla earlier regarding switching from the MSM to the OBM, and was told it wouldn't change my ETA of approximately 2-4 weeks from now (based on my order date). So after talking with my wife, we decided to stick with MSM. If I knew it would be closer to the 2 weeks, I probably would have switched, but being the same ETA for me, I'll stick with my existing config/color.
The rep mentioned that new orders are put too the back of the expedited line and are likely closer to the 4 week side of the estimate.
The system likely set your ETA for November by default, but you will likely see the car before Halloween.

M3Pguy

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks, hoping for the best. I got a text from a Tesla rep. who asked me to get financing finalized and he would final up paperwork, that's 2 days after ordering, sounds like I have a vin, so this is moving swiftly!