Phantom braking

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Shadow LI

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone seeing increased phantom braking lately on autopilot? Had more than a few today, including one so bad I was incredibly close to getting rear ended. I don’t see any patterns like bridges or overpasses. Almost unusable now, especially in HOV lanes.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine does that from time to time. I had it decide the other day that the max speed limit on the highway was 25 mph. That caused a sudden deceleration from 65. It seems that it has been doing better lately though.

WonkoTheSane

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I went on a trip from PA to FL and many times when the highway passed over surface streets the speed in EAP/NOA would drop dramatically, like it was switching to the speed of the surface street.

Is that what you are referring to?

Needsdecaf

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, he’s referring to at times, the car will randomly slam on the brakes in traffic when it gets freaked out. For me, it happens when a vehicle is veering toward it from a two lanes over. Car thinks a collision is going to happen and brakes for a second or two.

MJJ

I have had this happen regularly, frequently but not always, at one specific spot on highway 99 southbound, south of Merced. It has happened at the same rate across several software versions. I’ve started filing a bug report at each event.

I drive that route 5x/week so I have a good sample size.

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car used to beep when I backed into my steep drive way, stopped after last update. I get phantom brake checks but have learned to quickly override by pressing accelerator. Once I noticed it,was due to a crack in the freeway at the start of a hill.

MJJ

I noticed yesterday that the phantom braking at “the spot” coincided with another error, that being NoA suddenly insists I must change lanes to follow the route. Well, it’s a wide open 2 lane freeway right there which I stay on for 40 more miles.

I’d bet anybody an entire United States dollar there’s a map glitch there.

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got a "phantom" braking event today. Driving north on 680 out of San Jose, car hit the brakes as we were just about to go under a bridge.

*"phantom" in quotes because the braking was very real. The reason for the braking wasn't.

Firmware is 5.15.

nonStopSwagger

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got a "phantom" braking event today. Driving north on 680 out of San Jose, car hit the brakes as we were just about to go under a bridge.

*"phantom" in quotes because the braking was very real. The reason for the braking wasn't.

Firmware is 5.15.
I'm on the same build, I had a similar event happen last weekend.

Honestly my guess is everyone who uses AP gets these every few days, and has become numb to it.

Anybody own other cars with similar capability to AP with this issue? My wife has a Volvo she bought in July 2016 with "pilot assist", we have 32k miles on it, lots with the car driving itself. Never any phantom braking, not even once.

Bernard

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm on the same build, I had a similar event happen last weekend.

Honestly my guess is everyone who uses AP gets these every few days, and has become numb to it.

Anybody own other cars with similar capability to AP with this issue? My wife has a Volvo she bought in July 2016 with "pilot assist", we have 32k miles on it, lots with the car driving itself. Never any phantom braking, not even once.
Tesla clearly prefers to be safe than sorry ;-) Hence phantom braking...
I get a lot of that from sharp-ish right-hand curves -- the car does not know it's about to turn right, so whenever it "sees" a car emerging from the curve in the opposite direction, it assumes it's crossing our path and decides to brake... But I've had it with overpasses too, along with a dozen other sources, the most annoying being shadows cast across the road. Firmware releases over these last 10mos have slowly reduced the overall incidence (and may even have eliminated the "I brake for shadows" problem), but it's still pretty common.
(And it's not even EAP or AP or FSD: it's part of the basic car software, since it's a safety feature.)

nonStopSwagger

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What's shocking to me is the issue doesn't get any press from the big YouTube channels. I enjoy watching them, but I feel it's not an accident they are not bringing it up.

I did find one YouTuber who reported on the issue last month. His channel is pretty small, my guess is he wasn't worried about his free roadster getting pulled 😃

Last edited:

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Braking for bridges is a thing, but I thought it was a thing of the past.
There was a car in the lane next to us and slightly forward, it's possible that it thought the car was going to intrude into our lane, although I didn't see any reason it should. I have experienced other phantom braking events where I think the cause was vehicles in the next lane.

nonStopSwagger

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most of my recent incidents are due to cars on side roads, these roads are near the highway, separated by a small grassy median and fence. My guess is my Tesla thinks these cars are going to somehow hit me, and it brakes. But they are not even on the same road....

Tombolian

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't you wish there was a simple way of asking the car the reason for whatever it just did? Imagine if it kept a log of said actions (or, gasp, displayed a warning message) that one could review to derive important things like 'my car sees shadows as other cars' instead of 'what the hell did my car just do and why?'
Wishfull thinking?

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Lots of autopilot issues for me. I still use on my commute to/from work, but I have to monitor it like a hawk and 50% of lane changes require me to take over to complete them. Some are bouncier than others in terms of going back and forth between the target lane, others are about 75% complete and then the car wants to abort back to the original lane.