Petition to alleviate the quarter panel break-ins

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you watched the Cybertruck intro and all of the new features it introduced, keep in mind that it was intended to be a technology showcase. It's not likely it will be allowed to be produced with all shatterproof windows, for instance, because that would create problems with police and fire & rescue.

But, the glass demo is not all over-the-top, because there is a really good chance Elon and Tesla have been listening, and those quarter windows will either permanently or optionally become shatterproof glass.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wasn’t the one who woke it up! (Except now maybe...)

Car breakins are a thing in Central FL too, but not quite to the scale of California. It seems like just about everyone in Norcal has had more than one breakin.
This is NOT about car break-ins. This is explicitly about quarter panel breaks.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is NOT about car break-ins. This is explicitly about quarter panel breaks.
There isn't exactly a world of difference, unless for some reason in California, for reasons I don't understand, nobody is actually breaking into Teslas or stealing anything, they're just breaking the quarter window simply because they can. I don't see a reason anyone would take that kind of risk just to make some kind of point about a supposed "design flaw".

As I've said, I lack some information about what the thieves are after (again, I doubt they're doing it out of an altrustic call to cause Tesla to redesign the window and issue a recall) or what if anything Californians are putting in their cars with enough regularity to attract it. If it's a case of "you don't live here, so you'll never understand", fine, that could be.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is a HUGE difference. There were maybe a thousand+ Model 3 broken into in CA before Sentry mode was introduced. It was just too easy for thieve to smash and peek.
It wasn't a window smash, it wasn't door handles, it wasn't trunks, it was the quarter panels, as it bypassed all of the basic alarm features on the car.

That's explicitly why the title of this thread is what it is.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It wasn't a window smash, it wasn't door handles, it wasn't trunks, it was the quarter panels, as it bypassed all of the basic alarm features on the car.
That sounds like it's implying that it doesn't matter who broke the quarter window, or what the motivation was for it, just the fact that the window exists and that it's possible to break it means it's a design flaw that Tesla has to issue a recall for and fix.

Ok, so let's say this petition works out, Tesla issues a recall and replaces all of the quarter windows on every Model 3 with a non-breakable metal or plastic insert. It will certainly make sure no quarter panel window is ever broken again, but does it solve the root problem?

What I'm getting at is I don't believe the window breakage is because innocent parties happen to walk by and decide to break it because it's there. Spending money (either on our part or Tesla's) to eliminate the windows is just throwing good money after bad. This is a larger problem with a much simpler solution, and that's why I'm bothering to examine it.

That said, I spent some time climbing on my trunk this evening, and I believe in general thieves might be able to be fooled into thinking the seat latch has been removed by making a matching plastic insert that snaps snugly between the latch itself and the latch cup, and appears to be a flat cover on top. It would have to be inserted and removed with significant force, so it wouldn't only look discouraging to thieves, but also be a pretty decent prevention. I don't have a 3D printer myself, so I can't really prototype something like that, but I'm sure someone here does. If you do and want to try that out, let me know.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That said, I spent some time climbing on my trunk this evening, and I believe in general thieves might be able to be fooled into thinking the seat latch has been removed by making a matching plastic insert that snaps snugly between the latch itself and the latch cup, and appears to be a flat cover on top. It would have to be inserted and removed with significant force, so it wouldn't only look discouraging to thieves, but also be a pretty decent prevention. I don't have a 3D printer myself, so I can't really prototype something like that, but I'm sure someone here does. If you do and want to try that out, let me know.
That's already been done and marketed. See post #73 above on why I don't think it will help reduce the likelihood of rear quarter window breakages. However, it will be beneficial in deterring access to the trunk.

The advent of Sentry Mode and the publicity surrounding it is likely more of a deterrent for quarter window break-ins.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's already been done and marketed. See post #73 above on why I don't think it will help reduce the likelihood of rear quarter window breakages. However, it will be beneficial in deterring access to the trunk.
The primary feature of my suggestion is to make the recessed handle appear to be a flat plastic "blank" on the surface, mimicking a mid-production removal of the handle. I wouldn't expect it to be a 100% solution, because thieves still might break the quarter window first before even looking to see if the handle is there. Only then would it become obnoxious enough to remove that they might run off, but by then some of the damage is done already.

Beyond a cheap piece of plastic, anything else Tesla can do would have very steep costs - like replacing quarter windows with metal or plastic, AND replacing the seats with electronically locking ones - and only be a partial deterrent. Stopping the thefts entirely truly means figuring out what thieves are looking for in the first place, and making that a rare find for them, so they quit looking. Or replacing all the glass on the car with a shatter-proof variant so it's basically an armored car.