Petition to alleviate the quarter panel break-ins

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The City is one of the great cities to visit, and as long as you get the local scoop (always a good idea in any city), you'll be fine.

Avoiding staying in San Francisco proper won't really solve the problem, because it's actually a Bay Area problem, and in all likelihood you'll be staying somewhere near. There are some cities where it's worst (looking at you, Oakland), but in general anywhere in the Bay you should avoid street parking in a Tesla Model 3. Just about every hotel has a garage, as do many/most neighborhoods.

If you do street park, flip your seats down and hope the thief glances inside first. Since I've had my window repaired, I've parked in a number of Bay Area towns without incident, but I (or whichever family member may be driving our Model 3) always flip the seats down and turn on an LED light on the parcel shelf in the trunk. Zero issues.

Model 3 is a great car for the hills of San Francisco, and there are tons of taxis/Ubers/Lyfts/death scooters to use.
I assumed @garsh's comment was more directed at the SFPD's indifference to the crime more than the crime itself. (although, I doubt Oakland's police would be any more accommodating)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I assumed @garsh's comment was more directed at the SFPD's indifference to the crime more than the crime itself.
Kind of. If the police aren't interested in pursuing it even when evidence is presented, then the criminals will have no incentive to stop. Therefore, these crimes will continue to happen there.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Kind of. If the police aren't interested in pursuing it even when evidence is presented, then the criminals will have no incentive to stop. Therefore, these crimes will continue to happen there.
Society is more of an honor system than anyone would like to admit. The thin blue line is very thin, and in large cities it's busy with some fairly gruesome stuff. If you want the benefits of a region like the Bay Area—and there are many—you learn to cope.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately the SF Police did not have any interest in getting the video or catching who did it.
Good News. The SF Police came through and arrested the person breaking in based on the Tesla video I sent them.
Can you please clarify your previous statement? It sounded like they didn't want your video, but now it sounds like they accepted it and used it successfully. What made you believe that they originally "had no interest"?

Bloo

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
If there were no easy way to flip down the back seats, then the break-ins would stop. Tesla automatically locks the the glove box when the car is parked, why not do the same thing for the seat latches?

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If there were no easy way to flip down the back seats, then the break-ins would stop. Tesla automatically locks the the glove box when the car is parked, why not do the same thing for the seat latches?
I think if the latches are visible it looks easy to get through

I've just gotten in the habit of putting down 1 seat and keeping nothing in the car :(

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think to figure out why they keep breaking into Teslas that way, we have to think about what they're looking for, because there's zero motivation for a thief to break in just because they can't see into the trunk. Laptops in the trunk? Maybe, but the majority of break-ins are at night, when there isn't likely to be anything like that stored in the car. And at shopping centers, there wouldn't be anything valuable in there until after the shopping is done (except for christmas, when people might be making multiple trips to the car).

So we have to think about something that's very likely to be specifically in the trunk at all hours of the day, and is valuable enough that it's worth breaking into every Tesla they see just in case.

The only answer to that I can come up with is charging equipment. It sells for nearly retail price on eBay, and I don't know how much pawn shops pay for it. It's not serialized to the car. As a bonus, if they spot one, they can basically fish it out of the small quarter window without even touching anything else. And it's in nearly every Tesla, 50/50 on whether it's in the trunk or the frunk, so worth it for thieves to take a chance.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I think to figure out why they keep breaking into Teslas that way, we have to think about what they're looking for,
Yes, this is exactly what I’ve wondered. I keep next to nothing in my car. If I did have anything, it would be in the lower trunk compartment where it is invisible anyway.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think to figure out why they keep breaking into Teslas that way, we have to think about what they're looking for, because there's zero motivation for a thief to break in just because they can't see into the trunk. Laptops in the trunk? Maybe, but the majority of break-ins are at night, when there isn't likely to be anything like that stored in the car. And at shopping centers, there wouldn't be anything valuable in there until after the shopping is done (except for christmas, when people might be making multiple trips to the car).

So we have to think about something that's very likely to be specifically in the trunk at all hours of the day, and is valuable enough that it's worth breaking into every Tesla they see just in case.

The only answer to that I can come up with is charging equipment. It sells for nearly retail price on eBay, and I don't know how much pawn shops pay for it. It's not serialized to the car. As a bonus, if they spot one, they can basically fish it out of the small quarter window without even touching anything else. And it's in nearly every Tesla, 50/50 on whether it's in the trunk or the frunk, so worth it for thieves to take a chance.
Laptops and purses.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why would thieves disproportionately expect every Tesla to have a purse or a laptop in the trunk, even in the middle of the night? See what I'm getting at? The frequency and specificity of the break-ins implies they expect something to be in the trunk of a Tesla much more commonly than any other vehicle, either because of the car itself or the owners.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why would thieves disproportionately expect every Tesla to have a purse or a laptop in the trunk, even in the middle of the night? See what I'm getting at? The frequency and specificity of the break-ins implies they expect something to be in the trunk of a Tesla much more commonly than any other vehicle, either because of the car itself or the owners.
Because there is a chance. And when the pop and run first started, there was no Sentry mode (it's why Sentry mode was created). It was REAL easy for a thief to pop the window, drop the seat and check.

But this is something that has significantly decreased since Sentry mode was created. It seemed as if there were effectivly multiple posts a day where folks had their windows popped. Now it's relatively rare.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think if the latches are visible it looks easy to get through

I've just gotten in the habit of putting down 1 seat and keeping nothing in the car :(
And that's why I think those plastic inserts that hinder the release mechanism from being actuated don't necessarily deter someone from breaking the rear quarter window. They do make it difficult for the seat backs to be flipped down to view/access the trunk's contents, but by then the window damage is already done. The thief isn't going to spend time looking for pieces of red plastic on the latches before deciding whether or not to smash. I guess if the sole goal is to better secure the trunk's contents, then they are useful.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think Teslas are being disproportionately targeted due to something uniquely Tesla-related. We may be seeing disproportionate media coverage of these Tesla incidents because it's Tesla (as with Tesla vehicle fires) and we obviously would see these incidents reported in Telsa-related forums and blogs that we here follow. Thieves know which car makes/models are vulnerable (with unlockable foldable rear seats) and they target these cars and have for years. Unfortunately, Tesla's design places them among the vulnerable. Additionally, the fact that Tesla is viewed as an upscale brand with upscale owners, especially among techie millennials (at least in the Bay Area), make them and other upscale/vulnerable models a more likely target as they are more likely to have expensive and easily fenceable goodies stashed in the trunk.

Last edited:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think Teslas are being disproportionately targeted due to something uniquely Tesla-related.
I still feel like there's something I'm missing out on that's increasing the chances of thieves getting something valuable from the break-ins. I'm in Florida, so maybe there's a Northern California habit that I'm not aware of. Maybe when NorCal people feel so unsafe going to the local shopping center that they only carry one credit card and some cash, and lock the purse/wallet in the trunk, and that's really common there. Maybe people even feel unsafe bringing valuables into their homes, and lock those in the car, so if their home is robbed, at least the thieves won't get that stuff. Or maybe just plain bad habits on the part of NorCal'ers that they tend to keep a lot of their valuables in the trunk for no reason at all. I'm going out on a limb here, but those are all possibilities.

That's why I came up with charging equipment as a possibility - because from where I am in Florida, there's no reason to keep anything valuable in the trunk with any regularity.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I still feel like there's something I'm missing out on that's increasing the chances of thieves getting something valuable from the break-ins. I'm in Florida, so maybe there's a Northern California habit that I'm not aware of. Maybe when NorCal people feel so unsafe going to the local shopping center that they only carry one credit card and some cash, and lock the purse/wallet in the trunk, and that's really common there. Maybe people even feel unsafe bringing valuables into their homes, and lock those in the car, so if their home is robbed, at least the thieves won't get that stuff. Or maybe just plain bad habits on the part of NorCal'ers that they tend to keep a lot of their valuables in the trunk for no reason at all. I'm going out on a limb here, but those are all possibilities.

That's why I came up with charging equipment as a possibility - because from where I am in Florida, there's no reason to keep anything valuable in the trunk with any regularity.
It doesn't really matter if people are more or less likely to leave valuables in the trunk in a given geography. It's what the thieves think may be in those trunks. it's like telephone scammers: the majority of the calls yield nothing; however, the one successful hit makes it a worthwhile endeavor. It's not unusual for these well-organized thieves to very efficiently hit multiple vehicles (of various makes) at a cineplex or shopping mall parking lot or at a popular tourist destination. it takes a matter of seconds to break a window and flip down a seatback. Empty trunk? Too bad for the owner, because his/her car window is smashed even if that person was cautious in not leaving anything in the trunk. No biggie for the thief, just move on to the next targetable car; there's bound to be someone who would leave something of value in there. Low yield at that parking lot? No sweat, just get back into the car that dropped you off and was shadowing you as you made your rounds and head on down the road to the next parking lot. Oh, and if any security cameras (including Sentry Mode) captured the license plate of the getaway car, no worries, it was likely stolen.

Last edited:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The difference is a telemarketer won’t be interrupted, there is no one to stop them from calling every number on their list, and they don’t have to hurry. If thieves could operate the same way, they would start at one end of a parking lot and break into each and every car, taking their time with every one. So it’s a little bit different in that they have limited time and have to choose carefully.

It‘s also different in that telemarketers can afford to be patient. Thieves have to show results, because the people with them won’t stay with them if they go days without scoring something worth money. The telemarketer will just keep making calls even if they show no results.

So yes, people’s habits in certain geographical areas play a big part, because that’s how the thieves know who to target. They watch what people do, what they leave in their cars, and they will single out people who think their car is safer for cash than keeping it on them, or bring their laptop with them to the mall and think they are locking it up safely.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

This is an old thread, let it die. It's also mostly a Cali thing.

Oh yeah, Florida. That's where I got a laptop stolen out of my trunk.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wasn’t the one who woke it up! (Except now maybe...)

Car breakins are a thing in Central FL too, but not quite to the scale of California. It seems like just about everyone in Norcal has had more than one breakin.

SAronian

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Those of us who are affected and worried about quarter window being broken into, this is one way to pool our thoughts and collectively make them heard by Elon and Tesla. Sign your name on Change.org here:

http://chng.it/fyMWf8tV
Thanks - I signed the petition. Also just posted this video hoping it will eventually show how risky it is to target Tesla Model 3's