Petition to alleviate the quarter panel break-ins

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
for that matter, disable the door lock buttons on all doors - requiring a passenger left in the car to press the unlock button on the screen (which also fixes a left behind passenger from setting off the alarm).
I like this concept for the purposes of break ins, but I've never had a vehicle with the automatic button door openers like we have. I'm guessing there are some DOT or Govt rules about how a door should open from the inside in case of fire or a wreck or ending up in water or just anything else we can come up with. I'd like to see them disabled, but I bet they can't be. A lot of people that don't know the car maybe wouldn't think or know to touch the screen to get it to come on, etc.

My last few vehicles the doors would always open from the inside whether locked or not, at least the front. The rear doors would as well, but you had to pull on the handles twice (that wasn't real intuitive either) unless the child locks were set.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Again, there may not be one solution to this, but a combination of ideas that would help make a difference.
Tint the rear windows to make them more break-resistant - thieves can see that the windows are tinted, reducing the chance that they'll bother trying. Park your car in a more open area so everyone around can see the sides of the car. That's all I can think of.

AmpHog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like this concept for the purposes of break ins, but I've never had a vehicle with the automatic button door openers like we have. I'm guessing there are some DOT or Govt rules about how a door should open from the inside in case of fire or a wreck or ending up in water or just anything else we can come up with. I'd like to see them disabled, but I bet they can't be.
I don't imagine this is really an issue. The Model 3 already has a mechanical emergency release on the front doors for use in the event of an electrical failure.

Tint the rear windows to make them more break-resistant - thieves can see that the windows are tinted, reducing the chance that they'll bother trying. Park your car in a more open area so everyone around can see the sides of the car. That's all I can think of.
Tinting the windows doesn't seem to slow them down, although maybe you could combine that with 3M Security Film. Better yet, replace that small window with Hammerglass.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How about make these small windows out of that glass that they are using on the Semi?
Breaking the small window is a "courtesy move". If you make that window hard to break, then they'll just break the larger rear door window and you'll end up with an even more expensive repair.

MarkB

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Breaking the small window is a "courtesy move". If you make that window hard to break, then they'll just break the larger rear door window and you'll end up with an even more expensive repair.
I was under the impression that it also had something to do with which window breaks set off the alarm.

AmpHog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can never stop them completely, but you can slow them down, make their job harder, and draw as much attention as possible to their activities. The unfortunate thing here is that this issue would be far less prevalent if the seat latches were buried in the trunk.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can never stop them completely, but you can slow them down, make their job harder, and draw as much attention as possible to their activities. The unfortunate thing here is that this issue would be far less prevalent if the seat latches were buried in the trunk.
I remember walking in NYC, and one of the cars parked along the street had a big sign in the window that said "CAR UNLOCKED, NO RADIO".
So, that's another tactic. ;)

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I feel like I’m missing something here. Has there been a widespread problem with thefts from Model 3’s? Statistically more than other cars?

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok then, how about a software solution. If the force sensor (I'm sure there is one, since ipads have one, and they're relatively cheap) in the MCU detects motion, it tries to figure out where the motion originated. Then switches on the nearest camera, and displays what it "sees" on the large screen in the center along with some kind of irritating chime. Thieves will freak out and run away.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I feel like I’m missing something here. Has there been a widespread problem with thefts from Model 3’s? Statistically more than other cars?
Apparently, Teslas are a favorite target for "smash & grab" thefts in California. Thieves break the rear quarter windows, put the rear seat down, and look in the trunk for valuables before committing to a more involved break-in.

Luckily for the rest of us, it seems to only be a widespread problem on the California coast (LA to SF).

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
if the issue is that the bad guys fold the seat down and look in the trunk, then have curtain between the rear seats and trunk. If seat is folded forward, curtain blocks further viewing. It could be locked in place from the trunk, semi plastic in nature too.

Not high tech but solves the problem if the problem is "looking in". Just block their view.

High tech solution: Use the side cameras to sense people within 2 feet of the car. Send text to owner with snapshots. Put snapshots on big TS screen. Store images or video on dashcam USB (if stolen still send pics or video to owner)

I don't know what cameras are used but this is very easy to do with cameras and a tiny bit of sensor technology. Many home security cameras already have some ability to do this, but the range sensitivity is the challenge. I work in the smart home/security industry and would gladly help Tesla implement this.

Last edited:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you block their view or make the small window harder to break - they'll just do more damage is the theory.

Per the other thread - "By the way, smashing the tiny window is considered a "courtesy move," as it is the least costly damage they could do. " But if they find something they think they want, then I guess there is more damage coming.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
in the bay area specifically, Teslas have had this window broken on a regular basis - well before the Model 3. All due to the rear seat release levers being right next to it and an easy way for a car prowler to see what is in the trunk, if anything.

Really was (is) unfortunate Tesla didn't take the opportunity with the Model 3 design to eliminate this opportunity by either locating the lever to be accessible from inside the trunk, or add mechanical locks to the levers like some other cars have.

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It would be a good fix to have the seat release levers placed near the center seat instead of at the windows edge. Won't help current owners, but will help future owners.

masto

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The presumption is they know they can break that small window and look in the trunk in 5 seconds, with very little risk. If it sets off the alarm just to take a peek, there's a greater chance that opportunistic thieves will move on to another car. If it's particularly hard to get into the trunk, even better. It doesn't seem like it would be beyond Tesla's powers to incorporate a trunk lock in 2019 and maybe offer it as a retrofit. If I lived in CA, I would pay for that.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't believe the thieves and/or vandals (there's still a possibility they break the quarter window just to teach EV owners a lesson) are aiming solely for the contents of the trunk. So adding a mechanical lock only to the trunk might be futile. I don't think even making the quarter window shatterproof will make much difference, they will just break another window to get in. Whatever solution there is has to be comprehensive, and protect the entire vehicle at once.

FYI, breaking the quarter window isn't a courtesy measure, it's actually more threatening. They break the smallest window in case they succeed in stealing the car, because the police won't be tipped off by a large missing window and glass all over the car.

AmpHog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't believe the thieves and/or vandals .... are aiming solely for the contents of the trunk.
Actually, that's exactly what they're doing—breaking the quarter window, flipping down the seat, and if the trunk is empty, moving on to the next target. If not, they pop the door and clear out the trunk of anything valuable. It's a well-established pattern.

I don't think even making the quarter window shatterproof will make much difference, they will just break another window to get in.
Possibly not, although in general anything you can do to slow them down, make their job harder, and draw as much attention as possible to their activities is an improvement. The police have said they that thieves are attracted to the quarter window on any car (not just Tesla) because it is easy to break quietly, without attracting a lot of attention.

Whatever solution there is has to be comprehensive, and protect the entire vehicle at once.
Agreed, but for now I'd settle for a partial solution to stem the pace of these break-ins.

Staying out of the Bay Area comes to mind. :D