Petition to alleviate the quarter panel break-ins

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you get the rear side windows and quarter window tinted, it makes it harder for thieves to break it. They might not even bother trying if it looks dark.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Links have been fixed. :)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What do you expect Tesla to do?
The petition reads:
Dear Elon,
We love our Model 3. Thanks for making such wonderful cars. We are forever Tesla fans. But the thieves breaking into our Model 3 while we dine and shop leaves us heartbroken. We just implore that you prioritize anti-theft system that thwarts thieves from breaking into our Teslas.

Hope this list serves to show how many of us would like this feature and willing to pay for it :)

Thanks for all you do Elon!
So it sounds like they would like Tesla to implement (for a price) an anti-theft system similar to what they now offer for the S and X.
Seems reasonable.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The add on for the S and X seems very reasonable for $350, the key will be have they wired or allowed for such an add on in the 3 for retrofitting and we just aren't aware of it yet? Or perhaps it would have to be a future change to the car.

I know Tesla is a hard nut to crack, but I also figure we'd start to see some after market products soon since the cars have been on the road now for a good year.

AmpHog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What do you expect Tesla to do?
Do what Tesla does best ... be innovative. Offer a hardware modification, provide a firmware update that can provide additional security through the use of the car's cameras or microphones, or come up with something new and completely out of the box that makes us shake our heads and wish we'd thought of it first.

There is nothing wrong with asking Tesla to recognize the issue and at least consider possible solutions. Of course they can't prevent such crimes entirely, but maybe they can help us slow them down.

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do what Tesla does best ... be innovative. Offer a hardware modification, provide a firmware update that can provide additional security through the use of the car's cameras or microphones, or come up with something new and completely out of the box that makes us shake our heads and wish we'd thought of it first.

There is nothing wrong with asking Tesla to recognize the issue and at least consider possible solutions. Of course they can't prevent such crimes entirely, but maybe they can help us slow them down.
alarms and such are practically useless in the cases like these smash and grabs. what needs to be done is a redesign but that will not help current owners

AmpHog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
alarms and such are practically useless in the cases like these smash and grabs. what needs to be done is a redesign but that will not help current owners
Not true. The rear window is being smashed so the thieves can fold down the seat and look in the trunk to see if there is anything in there worth stealing. Once they see something, there is still more work to be done in order to reach the items in the trunk. An alarm would discourage some thieves in busy parking lots.

And again, I wasn't advocating for any particular idea (or ignoring their potential limitations), only suggesting that it was okay to ask Tesla to recognize the issue and consider possible solutions. I've never been a fan of just throwing up my hands and saying 'I give up' just because a problem is hard to solve.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The rear window is being smashed so the thieves can fold down the seat and look in the trunk to see if there is anything in there worth stealing. Once they see something, there is still more work to be done in order to reach the items in the trunk. An alarm would discourage some thieves in busy parking lots.
Have there been any cases of thieves actually getting into the trunk to steal something? I am wondering how they would gain entry.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Have there been any cases of thieves actually getting into the trunk to steal something? I am wondering how they would gain entry.
break the small rear window, lower the rear seat, see if there is anything in the trunk, and if so, press the button to open the rear door. door alarm would go off then.
so breaking the small window is an exploratory exercise to see if it is worth the risk of setting off the alarm.
BUT if the broken glass/motion would set off an alarm initially, the number of broken windows would be reduced because it would become known that the risk is instant instead of only when the door is opened.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's true.

Once they break the window, lower the rear seat, and see something in the trunk, then what's the next step? If they break another window and open the door from the inside, that will set off the alarm.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yes, unless the kid locks are set.
That is interesting and not my experience with other vehicles. In my past vehicles, the rear seats would always require the doors be unlocked before opening from the inside and the child locks would prevent them from being opened regardless of state of the door locks.

AmpHog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yes, unless the kid locks are set.
I've never looked at this, but assuming that's true couldn't Tesla disable the rear door buttons (enable the kid locks) when the car is locked and unoccupied? The thieves would then have one more issue to slow them down.

Again, there may not be one solution to this, but a combination of ideas that would help make a difference.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've never looked at this, but assuming that's true couldn't Tesla disable the rear door buttons (enable the kid locks) when the car is locked and unoccupied? The thieves would then have one more issue to slow them down.

Again, there may not be one solution to this, but a combination of ideas that would help make a difference.
for that matter, disable the door lock buttons on all doors - requiring a passenger left in the car to press the unlock button on the screen (which also fixes a left behind passenger from setting off the alarm).