Performance vs AWD 0-60 Side-By-Side Video

Stacks

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I currently have the AWD configured and I've been considering upgrading to the Performance. I cut together a quick video that shows the comparison between the two. This helped me make up my mind and I'm hoping it's valuable to someone else too.

Source videos are in the description.

Trail Runner

Great way to view the differences between the two models. It makes me feel better about my decision even though the Eliminator P3D would be the authority out there and should stomp almost everything out there. I wonder what 10-15k in Tesla stocks will be worth in ten years from now?

Brian N

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Great way to view the differences between the two models. It makes me feel better about my decision even though the Eliminator P3D would be the authority out there and should stomp almost everything out there. I wonder what 10-15k in Tesla stocks will be worth in ten years from now?
Just to play devils advocate a little. Why would you pay extra the 10-15k upfront? Especially when interest rates are still pretty low.

For me the slight increase in monthly payment is worth it. (Might not be for everyone.) Especially since I want/need that track mode and I’m a power junkie. However that regular AWD seems plenty quick for most people. Heck it’s as fast as the M2 I believe!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
. 93 second difference for $12-17,000. Bang for buck. AWD.
First, Performance is only $10,000 more than AWD, if you're comparing with everything else equal.

Second, AWD is only 0.5 second faster for $5000. So if that's really your metric, why doesn't it make more sense to stick with RWD?

Rick Rollens

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First, Performance is only $10,000 more than AWD, if you're comparing with everything else equal.

Second, AWD is only 0.5 second faster for $5000. So if that's really your metric, why doesn't it make more sense to stick with RWD?
Because there are more benefits of owning the AWD over the RWD other then it is faster, and for $4000.00 over the cost of the base model 3, well worth it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The big difference that stands out to me is the camera wobble from the force of the M3P over the other. Wow what a beast! However I agree with Rick that the extra acceleration from AWD non-P is a pleasant bonus to the many other benefits of AWD and I just don’t need to accelerate or take turns faster than it allows. Though if anyone with a performance model wants to let me test drive it, I wouldn’t mind ;)

Moral of the story is... the Model 3 is a great car however you design it.

Brian N

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
. 93 second difference for $12-17,000. Bang for buck. AWD.
As noted only 10k difference.

Bang for the buck is relative. AWD may be the best value to money for you. However we are given options for a reason. Everyone optimizes for their situation and happiness.

To me the P3D is a bargain. Considering going from a BMW 340i to BMW M3 is an 18k difference. Or a even more direct comparison 340xi to BMW M3 is a 15k difference in base price. Also only a .7 difference to 60 between them. Lastly no free fuel/supercharging. (Not to mention the P3D is considerably faster to 60).

Then again sports cars or luxury cars are never really about logic are they?:p

Rick Rollens

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The big difference that stands out to me is the camera wobble from the force of the M3P over the other. Wow what a beast! However I agree with Rick that the extra acceleration from AWD non-P is a pleasant bonus to the many other benefits of AWD and I just don’t need to accelerate or take turns faster than it allows. Though if anyone with a performance model wants to let me test drive it, I wouldn’t mind ;)

Moral of the story is... the Model 3 is a great car however you design it.
Agree. You cannot go wrong with any choice when it comes to the Model 3!