Performance Upgrade 20" wheels & lower suspension - Ride quality?

MP3

Country
Country
Can anyone speak to how the smoothness of your ride changes in a model 3 from stock wheels to 20" wheels? Looking at aftermarket wheels and I was told the Model 3 is HUGELY impacted by this change. Thanks!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Performance with OEM 20" was surprisingly smooth.
I now have my winter tires on 18" wheels mounted, and I haven't noticed much of a difference.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I put this video together and found the ride with the 20s to be great.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The two P3Ds I have driven on factory 20"s both have a smooth ride. As good as the 2018 BMW M3 I was also considering, and better than the WRX STi type RA I drove before buying the P3D.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So where I live I've got a few roads that have quite a rough rid (joint repairs and such). I know the Performance Upgrade suspension is a little lower than the standard suspensions, but is it also stiffer? I hadn't really seen much of anything on that. The surfaces I'm talking about around here just magnify it, and everyone in the car is being ridiculously jostled around in those circumstances. It's almost comical when I stop and observe it. If I'm leaning back in the seat the headrest repeatedly bonks me in the back of the head.

It almost seems like part of the issue is how well Tesla centered the mass in the car. Doing that makes it easier for it to rotate, but it also has a tendency to rotate forward and back in a more pronounced manner as it's going over these road joints that a car that has more mass forward and back where the suspension has to do most of the work as the car doesn't as easily pitch forward and back.

Was considering getting some of the aftermarket springs from UP or MPP out there to see if those would help with this. I know, it's silly to get the sporty version and then complain about comfort, but would love a sporty ride that could still smooth out these issue with these local roads I travel on a lot.

Anyone have experience with the comparison of some of the aftermarket replacement springs?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have the Performance Upgrade package on mine. The ride is very compliant. When I first drove the car, I was absolutely amazed at how well it soaks up the bumps on rough roads, considering that it has 20" wheels. I'm very pleased with the ride comfort.

I have past experience owning other sports cars with 19" and 20" wheels, one of them had aftermarket KW coilovers. My Model 3 Performance has one of the most comfortable rides. I'm not sure what it's attributed to either, perhaps it's how Tesla has tuned the damping on the Performance Upgrade suspension? Whatever the case, it has a very comfortable ride over bumpy roads.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can't tell the difference between ride height on the performance and standard. Stock springs on the P3D are very comfortable. I've never been in the standard version though but I'm very very happy with the ride quality of the P3D.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man, that’s so weird. There can’t be something wrong with all 4 of my springs / dampers that is giving me such a different experience than everyone else? Compliant is not a term I would use to describe my ride on rough roads.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Man, that’s so weird. There can’t be something wrong with all 4 of my springs / dampers that is giving me such a different experience than everyone else? Compliant is not a term I would use to describe my ride on rough roads.
It's hard for everybody to convey these sorts of nuances in text. If you get a chance, stop by a Tesla store and test drive another Model 3 Performance. See if at least that one other car rides the same as yours.

I thought my Performance on 20s was surprisingly smooth for such a low-profile wheel and tire. It really didn't seem a whole lot rougher than my Nissan Leaf. I mean, it is rougher, but not as much as I was expecting.

My father-in-law thought my Tesla was the roughest riding car he'd ever been in. But he's used to driving a Lincoln Town Car, which is like driving on pillows.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ride quality is totally subjective!
But isn't it not? I mean there are instruments and things to measure the roughness of the ride right?

I get that it is subjective in the sense of what other cars you are used to, but I've not ever experienced a car with such harsh ride characteristics. Maybe it is the roads we have around here that just bring it out more, but it really seems there is minimal bump absorbsion without substantial movement from the car. It was reinforced the other night when I had a passenger that had a headache that also commented to stop with all the bumps it was making it worse.

Like I said in my first post, it's comical to look at everyone ridding in the car and their heads all bouncing around and jiggling all over the place. We seem to have some roads where the joints are all raised just enough, that the car turns into a bucking bronco, forward and back as you travel them. Both 45 mph and 65 mph roads around here. In other cars, you still feel that there are bumps, but the suspension absorbs a good deal of it, keeping the car level as it travels with none of the forward backward rocking I'm seeing. I'm just trying to figure out what could be wrong though? Bad spring batch, something wrong with the shock valving?

@garsh I wish I could hit up a store, but the closest one is over 3 hours away, & I really don't have time to pull that off.

Haven't called support on this one yet. I mean the car feels really great for handling. Most planted I've ever felt, like zero roll when tossing it around the corners. But dang.

I know, I not trying to be a pain and shoot down the ideas, I'm just really surprised my experience is so different than others.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a Performance Model 3 and coming from a 2008 BMW M3 with adjustable suspension on 18" wheels, my personal feeling is that the Tesla rides surprisingly smoother and less harsh than my BMW that I traded in. There are some nasty bumps that I used to drive over and the BMW was OK over them, but in the Tesla, you hardly feel them! It might also have to do with the fact that the Tesla is considerably heavier than the BMW was. Weight does a lot for comfort!

MountainPass

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But isn't it not? I mean there are instruments and things to measure the roughness of the ride right?

I get that it is subjective in the sense of what other cars you are used to, but I've not ever experienced a car with such harsh ride characteristics. Maybe it is the roads we have around here that just bring it out more, but it really seems there is minimal bump absorbsion without substantial movement from the car. It was reinforced the other night when I had a passenger that had a headache that also commented to stop with all the bumps it was making it worse.

Like I said in my first post, it's comical to look at everyone ridding in the car and their heads all bouncing around and jiggling all over the place. We seem to have some roads where the joints are all raised just enough, that the car turns into a bucking bronco, forward and back as you travel them. Both 45 mph and 65 mph roads around here. In other cars, you still feel that there are bumps, but the suspension absorbs a good deal of it, keeping the car level as it travels with none of the forward backward rocking I'm seeing. I'm just trying to figure out what could be wrong though? Bad spring batch, something wrong with the shock valving?

@garsh I wish I could hit up a store, but the closest one is over 3 hours away, & I really don't have time to pull that off.

Haven't called support on this one yet. I mean the car feels really great for handling. Most planted I've ever felt, like zero roll when tossing it around the corners. But dang.

I know, I not trying to be a pain and shoot down the ideas, I'm just really surprised my experience is so different than others.
We are talking about an experience a human is being subjected to. All humans have a different threshold/tolerance for noise, heat, cold, pain and in the same scope of things, inputs from a driving car.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

It sounds like the spacing of the joints and the speed of the car cause the bumping to hit the resonant frequency of your cars suspension.

KeithGP

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I don’t have the lowered suspension, my LR AWD with P3D+ 20” wheels and pilot sports feels the same as it did on the factory 19s.
whitelightning - I am interested in the 20" OEM wheels on my LR AWD as well. The upgrade costs $4000 but I intend to buy some from someone looking to change their wheels. On Tesla's site, it reads:

Upgrade your Model 3 with 20” Sport wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires for enhanced performance and style. This package includes rear suspension adjustments to optimize ride quality, and is only available for installation after delivery.
Did you do any rear suspension adjustments? Are these adjustments needed on our LR AWD Model 3's? If so, can you buy these separately?

Thanks,
Keith