Performance owners poll: Free Lifetime Supercharging? $5000 discount?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Which would you choose?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just called the Tesla center where I picked up my car and they didn't seem to have a clue what I was referring to...probably still too early....but I told them to make a note that I would like to request the refund over the free supercharging.....a no brainer for me as I have a wall charger and don't plan to be taking the PM3 on road trips.......that is what my ICE car is for.....

By the way.....they still have no clue on when the spoiler and badge are expected.....I have been reading online that end of November or later is what is expected....we shall see!
I've heard that as well. I'm guessing sometime in Q1 '19, but would not mind them arriving earlier.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I might have an answer today - ordered early to get free supercharging but taking delivery today. Not giving up free supercharging - I upgraded from non-P dual motor to P3 for supercharging. It will suck to have my car depreciate BEFORE delivery.
Nice! Can't wait to hear how this goes. Good luck!

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I might have an answer today - ordered early to get free supercharging but taking delivery today. Not giving up free supercharging - I upgraded from non-P dual motor to P3 for supercharging. It will suck to have my car depreciate BEFORE delivery.
My guess is your option today will be to take the car at the earlier price (+$5k PUO) and then let Tesla know later if you want to give up free unlimited supercharging to get the refund.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm, trying to think how to respond to this.

When I heard the news, I was pretty disappointed. In the past I saw my white interior go down by $500 and paint go up by $500, I was OK with all of that. Not worth my time. But yeah, $5000 is a bit a stretch to not get upset about. In the past, yes, they have changed around options on the S & X and included them, but almost every one of those times, the base price of the car also went up. Yes it wasn't as expensive anymore to get the full package, but not like this. I don't think I remember another $5000 reduction like this in the past that they didn't honor retroactively to some extent. I mean if it had been a year down the road, that is one thing, but I ordered my car 4 months ago and only got to take delivery 4 weeks ago. My first thought was it sucks, but let's see what Tesla does for us, and not to unexpectedly, Elon put out the tweet.

So, it's going to kind of suck, the free supercharging was a nice perk to have for being an earlier adopter. What sucks most about this is what was stated before. Tesla is really crapping on all of the reservation holders and early adopters especially hard this time around. I really can't see recommending getting a reservation on any future products to anyone, or being an earlier purchaser.

In the end, we get to make a choice, but we are getting the same deal as if someone just ordered a car today. I think that is the biggest slap in the face. Those of us that believed, early, and put up our deposits thinking that would get some kind of advantage, didn't get anything for it. I'm still disappointed for those day 1 reservationists that were supposed to get, "something special," for being day 1 reservationists, and to this day, I still have no idea what that is supposed to be. The toy car, the drawing? They ran out and non-day 1 people got some of those things, so that can't have been it, can it.

OK, I got carried away. I just can't see passing up the $5k credit, but I'm going to be giving up one of the things that made getting in earlier special. :( Sure I prefer the option for the 5k refund, but darn, man. I will say, I had never expected to get free lifetime supercharging while I was waiting to order, and wasn't worried about that, as people have said, it's not worth $5k when it costs like $12 for a charge. I' not going to be using 75k miles of supercharging, probably for the life of the car. Supercharging is awesome to have available when we are out and about though, especially for such a reasonable cost. I truly feel sorry for the other brand's charging infrastructures they were working on where they are looking at them like another cash cow for their company. I pitty those buyers who are going to be paying through the nose to charge those cars on trips... you know eventually... if errr, when it happens...

RAS550

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My guess is your option today will be to take the car at the earlier price (+$5k PUO) and then let Tesla know later if you want to give up free unlimited supercharging to get the refund.
The advisor didn't seem super knowledgeable and asked me to pay the full amount and said they could issue a refund in 6-8 weeks. I asked if I can keep the supercharging and he said per Elon no. I do think the company hasn't officially weighed in on this and let's see how it evolves.

I did end up not taking delivery because of a couple of flaws. Nothing major (minor gap issue with the frunk, couple of tiny paint chips), but I looked at many many other 3s in the lot and none of them had these issues. I wasn't going to take the only 3 on the lot with issues so I passed.

Waiting for VIN rematch.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I feel the people that ordered it before the deadline to be able to get free supercharging should be able to keep it plus get there $5,000 back not to mention all of us that have paid for that also paid taxes on that $5,000 too plus the guys like me that paid $1,500 for the white interior that is now $1,000 and we still don't have spoilers, badging and track mode

RAS550

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I feel the people that ordered it before the deadline to be able to get free supercharging should be able to keep it plus get there $5,000 back not to mention all of us that have paid for that also paid taxes on that $5,000 too plus the guys like me that paid $1,500 for the white interior that is now $1,000 and we still don't have spoilers, badging and track mode
You may still get a $500 refund on the white interior if you ask.

As for PUO we will hopefully know more next week

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm hoping they come out with a performance unlock for those who purchased the LR AWD and did not elect to get the performance mode at the time
I heard the motor are different and the size of the power cables to the motor don't know if there's any truth to that

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I heard the motor are different and the size of the power cables to the motor don't know if there's any truth to that
I also thought that I read somewhere that in the past (Model S/X) to upgrade to ludicrous after the fact required some kind of physical upgrade too? higher rated contactors and/or adding fuses I think? or something like that.....

lascavarian

Country
Country
Here is my choice. I would choose to keep my integrity. OK, a little high minded but hear me out.

This was an option. No one ever ever ever had to purchase it. I had to struggle with the same choice. I opted NO to the PUO.

I am happy happy happy to see that the basic Dual Motor Performance Model 3 is now an even better deal but it did take some thinking beyond my first knee-jerk reaction. This better deal comes from the fruits of those of us that supported EV business at Tesla. Those that want to change their mind after the fact have lost integrity as I see it. Angry, sure be a little angry but that will go away over time. Think hard before punishing the EV revolution (in which we all are partners) for your own choice. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the price could be cut in half as an example!

Some of the $5k some are asking for is coming out of my pocket. I knowingly paid top dollar for an early vehicle that I hoped/knew would drop in price over time. I know that my car is going to depreciate faster than some of the newer lower priced models because of the early adopter pricing. So be it, my choice. So that $5k refund after the fact is a little bit from all the others that supported EV vehicles by purchasing early and helping make the company reach profitability in Q3. Or else there would not be a successful company that could make the P3D such a better deal today.

Think how much good that $5k could be multiplied by Tesla by dropping the price of the Model 3 faster. That is what annoys me a bit. I would much rather whatever small portion of that $5k refund that came from me be used to pay it forward and make more EVs that can be sold at an even better price.

And by the way, the view is great from up on this high horse<grin>. Just something to think about.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is my choice. I would choose to keep my integrity. OK, a little high minded but hear me out.

This was an option. No one ever ever ever had to purchase it. I had to struggle with the same choice. I opted NO to the PUO.

I am happy happy happy to see that the basic Dual Motor Performance Model 3 is now an even better deal but it did take some thinking beyond my first knee-jerk reaction. This better deal comes from the fruits of those of us that supported EV business at Tesla. Those that want to change their mind after the fact have lost integrity as I see it. Angry, sure be a little angry but that will go away over time. Think hard before punishing the EV revolution (in which we all are partners) for your own choice. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the price could be cut in half as an example!

Some of the $5k some are asking for is coming out of my pocket. I knowingly paid top dollar for an early vehicle that I hoped/knew would drop in price over time. I know that my car is going to depreciate faster than some of the newer lower priced models because of the early adopter pricing. So be it, my choice. So that $5k refund after the fact is a little bit from all the others that supported EV vehicles by purchasing early and helping make the company reach profitability in Q3. Or else there would not be a successful company that could make the P3D such a better deal today.

Think how much good that $5k could be multiplied by Tesla by dropping the price of the Model 3 faster. That is what annoys me a bit. I would much rather whatever small portion of that $5k refund that came from me be used to pay it forward and make more EVs that can be sold at an even better price.

And by the way, the view is great from up on this high horse<grin>. Just something to think about.
This is awesome logic! It matches what Elon himself said about Model S/X owners — overpaying to pave the way to the future, cheaper, mass market EVs.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It actually appears that the drivetrain is identical between AWD and Performance. The difference is that the drivetrains used in Performance performed a little better (high sigma) in testing, and they burn them in for longer.

There have been a few reported cases where someone ordered a Performance, but received a regular AWD. Tesla fixed those cases with just a software update. Now, it *could* simply mean that the wrong software was loaded - so it's not proof that the hardware is identical. But it helps support the theory.

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agree and disagree. Let me explain too. Sure some of us went with the PUO and “opted” to pay the $5k for it....No denying that it was out of our free will and no one forced us to. The thing is that you opted out so you don’t have that feeling of being blindsided especially with your car being a month old or less and you are essentially out of 5k that you did not have to be.....or to look at it a different way....your car did not depreciate 5k in the setting of an Elon musk tweet.... that really is not cool on Tesla’s part....

In addition.... it is a this or that scenario....you could keep free lifetime supercharging or go with the $5k refund......so to some...as the poll shows...one is more important than the other......

On another note....Musk must have thought to some extent that it was a crappy thing to do to those of us who are in this particular scenario.... and that is why I believe he gave that choice...

Just my 0.02

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It actually appears that the drivetrain is identical between AWD and Performance. The difference is that the drivetrains used in Performance performed a little better (high sigma) in testing, and they burn them in for longer.

There have been a few reported cases where someone ordered a Performance, but received a regular AWD. Tesla fixed those cases with just a software update. Now, it *could* simply mean that the wrong software was loaded - so it's not proof that the hardware is identical. But it helps support the theory.
How do you even know if you have the right motors and software for the performance edit

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How do you even know if you have the right motors and software for the performance edit
As far as software, you tap the Tesla logo at the top center of the screen. If it shows "Dual Motor" with a red underline, then you're running the Performance software.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As far as software, you tap the Tesla logo at the top center of the screen. If it shows "Dual Motor" with a red underline, then you're running the Performance software.
Bwahahaha, you don't need to do any such thing. You know that pedal on the right? Push that, that will tell you real quick on your way off the lot if it's a performance! :p I'm shocked no one knows this.

Also, I really appreciate Elon (and hopefully Tesla), for the good faith gesture of providing a refund for those of us that were slightly earlier on the draw of purchasing the performance option. I get that we willingly signed up for the price as is, but that really is a pretty unbelievable thing to do to the earlier supporters & believers. I think Elon is doing the right thing. If this all goes through, this is going to go in the really good things pile about Tesla.

I do find the people being a little high and mighty saying everyone should just suck it up and deal with it are being a little unsympathetic about $5k too. Maybe to most of them $5k is just a toss in the bucket, but it really feels like a bit of a betrayal to most of us I think. For me it was kind of that last straw on the whole, lack of reservation importance, delivery hell rollercoaster to this date. I was kind of like, OK, finally made it through that stuff, I hope they get betterrrr...... *kapow* blind side sucker punch. o_O seriously, seriously, are you trying to make us cry? - I think that sums up my feeling pretty well.

Last edited:

calvan

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I’ve had my car for 2mo and didn’t order PUO b/c I was really only interested in brakes but not for $5k. I am very curious how Elon will handle this and what other P- owners think. Seems we would be snubbed if something isn’t done. Giving every one else something and not at least offering the upgrade option to us doesn’t seem right being the option is included at the price we paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.