Performance owners poll: Free Lifetime Supercharging? $5000 discount?

Which would you choose?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you haven't heard, the Performance Upgrade Option (PUO) is now standard on Performance Model 3 instead of being a $5000 option. Those of us who ordered a P+PUO were immediately seeing a forced ~$5000 depreciation in our vehicles. Soon after, Elon Musk took to twitter and announced that owners who were charged the higher price can request $5000 back, but at a cost - you would have to give up your lifetime free supercharging.

There are a few owners in a different position. Purchasers of the P+PUO who ordered after Sept 18 didn't get lifetime free supercharging, so what about them? Well, it sounds like they will get a similar choice: they can add lifetime free supercharging, or get $5000 back. But I'm inferring that from Musk's twitter posts - I haven't seen that explicitly mentioned yet. Or maybe none of those people have received a car yet, in which case they'll just get the $5000 discount automatically.

Lastly, that leaves us with the owners who ordered Performance without the Performance Upgrade. I've seen no mention of them getting some kind of choice. No $5000 discount. No add-on lifetime free supercharging (for purchases after Sept 18). No add-on of PUO parts. It would appear that these are the owners who may now have the "short end of the stick". OTOH, they are now owners of a rather rare "sleeper" Performance Model 3. OR... Maybe they get $5000 off too, which will start to make the buyers of AWD jealous.

So, discuss, and take part in the poll. :)

Last edited:

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I'm not your intended audience, but I will pipe in as I have mixed feelings about this. I love that Tesla (usually) errs on the side of benefiting the customer with broadly applying their ever-varying cost structure. But there has to be some limit to that, and with many things Tesla does, it's hard to see the exact rational and boundaries. Shortly after we bought out Model X (with the PUP), the PUP became a part of the base-package, somewhat similar to what is happening here. We weren't offered any rebate, nor would it have occurred to me that it was due to me. History has shown that they continually improve the product and make things that were once an upgrade a part of the base model, often without a price increase. I understand price adjustments when they happen between configuration and delivery, but really surprised at any post-delivery price adjustment.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a P-, and would have an incredibly difficult time deciding between 5K and giving up free supercharging. So much so that I really hope they don't give me the choice. I believe that the 5K probably makes better financial sense for me, but free supercharging is just so cool that I'd hate to give it up.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you haven't heard, the Performance Upgrade Option (PUO) is now standard on Performance Model 3 instead of being a $5000 option. Those of us who ordered a P+PUO were immediately seeing a forced ~$5000 depreciation in our vehicles. Soon after, Elon Musk took to twitter and announced that owners who were charged the higher price can request $5000 back, but at a cost - you would have to give up your lifetime free supercharging.

There are a few owners in a different position. Purchasers of the P+PUO who ordered after Sept 18 didn't get lifetime free supercharging, so what about them? Well, it sounds like they will get a similar choice: they can add lifetime free supercharging, or get $5000 back. But I'm inferring that from Musk's twitter posts - I haven't seen that explicitly mentioned yet. Or maybe none of those people have received a car yet, in which case they'll just get the $5000 discount automatically.

Lastly, that leaves us with the owners who ordered Performance without the Performance Upgrade. I've seen no mention of them getting some kind of choice. No $5000 discount. No add-on lifetime free supercharging (for purchases after Sept 18). No add-on of PUO parts. It would appear that these are the owners who may now have the "short end of the stick". OTOH, they are now owners of a rather rare "sleeper" Performance Model 3. OR... Maybe they get $5000 off too, which will start to make the buyers of AWD jealous.

So, discuss, and take part in the poll. :)

Also not your P+ crowd, but easily would choose the $5k. Remember, the original pay option on supercharging was $2k. Or look at it by the math... $5000 / $.25 = 20,000kWh of supercharging, * 3.5 miles = 70,000 supercharger powered miles. Would you possibly use that or more supercharge powered miles over the life of the car?

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Additional option:

Offer the folks that paid for nothing (didn't get 20" upgrades etc which are now standard) or paid for something now 'free' a 3rd choice - free ludicrous (or equivalent) upgrade.

I'm for Tesla having the $, I'm not for folks feeling like their early support of the brand is punished.. and some really feel that way

Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Does the free lifetime supercharging stay with the vehicle for life or only the original purchaser. I bought my Model X when it stayed with the vehicle for life but they changed that since at some point and then it expires when the car is sold to someone else.

So does anyone know how the P3 is?

That would definitely factor into my decision. If it expires if I sell ours then it's not worth near as much to me. I don't like this decision! Ha Ha!

The deal was: buy the P3 by X date and get supercharging for life. Now Vader is giving the choice of keeping or “altering the deal” by offering $5k back. While I would like Tesla to give me both, I see it as a choice, and im going to choose to keep my free Supercharging.

I believe the mathematics above assumes the cost of electricity will not change over the life of the car... I don’t believe there is sufficient evidence to make me believe it. So... while it may be a gamble from a financial perspective, I’m thinking the odds are in my favor.

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not thrilled to see a $5k drop on a car I only just got and I've put a total of 7 miles on, but that is Tesla life. I'll go for the $5000 rebate, but really wish I could get a free/discounted Ludicrous mode instead :smiley:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't own this version of the car either, but as an opinion, I don't see how the free Supercharging for life could ever pay off vs the $5000. Take the $5K and invest it, use that to pay for your SC when you need/use it. Unless you live within a mile or 2 of SC or pass one on a daily basis I can't see how this ever pays off, plus your time is worth something as well. If you've got a charging solution at home, there is no way I spend the time to go SC on a daily/weekly basis and offset getting $5K in my pocket. Plugging in at home so convenient and way too cheap.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Supercharging is cheap cheap cheap. Take the $5K, if offered. This offer has interesting psychological aspects to it, and of course different people have different situations, so I'm curious about the final uptake rate.

Tesla's pricing decision doesn't affect me, but I think they really screwed up this one. A better approach would have been to raise the Performance base price by an intermediate amount, say, by $2,500 to $3,000. They wouldn't have pissed people off so much, and they wouldn't be offering free money to past purchasers. Bonehead decision.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla's pricing decision doesn't affect me, but I think they really screwed up this one. A better approach would have been to raise the Performance base price by an intermediate amount, say, by $2,500 to $3,000. They wouldn't have pissed people off so much, and they wouldn't be offering free money to past purchasers.
Agree. This is typically what they've done in the past with the Model S and X: increase the base price, include more options -> average selling price goes up. Not sure why they didn't do the same thing here. Perhaps they thought they were going to convince more AWD buyers to spring for P?

At any rate, as others have suggested... I'd take the 5K without a second thought. Even if Tesla doubled the price of supercharging, thereby turning it into a revenue source (despite prior claims to the contrary) there's no way I'm going to come close to 35K miles of supercharging.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perhaps they thought they were going to convince more AWD buyers to spring for P?
when I ordered, if this was an option I would likely have upgraded. But the P (non+) just didn't seem to offer enough for the price, and the P+ price was just too much for me. but I am more of one who would like it because of the extras (wheels, brakes, spoiler...) than the acceleration/speed increases.

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have an answer either way as it doesn't impact me, but Fred from Electrek is a major cry baby. My $0.02 ;)
I agree. As I said, it doesn't feel great being a couple of days and 7 miles into ownership and seeing the price drop $5k. I'll try to get the money back since supercharging is not worth that price. But, this is part of how it works with Tesla, what is offered today can change tomorrow, so buy when you are happy with what you are getting for the price. Like their wait times, poor communication, overly optimistic timelines, and lack of parts availability/3rd part repair shops, you take the good with the bad with Tesla and to me the good list is far longer.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm still wondering how this will effect those of us that ordered the car with PUP in the time frame to qualify for the free Super Charging but have not yet paid for the car or finalized the paperwork. Do we get both or still have to choose between the two offers?

I'll find out when my IDS gets back to me, more than likely Monday when she is back in the office. Will report my findings

Lovesword

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have an answer either way as it doesn't impact me, but Fred from Electrek is a major cry baby. My $0.02 ;)
Wow, no joke there...nothing like biting the hand that feeds. He, and Electrek are NOTHING without Tesla. You’d think someone who “reports”...oh excuse me I mean “blogs” (so, is he off the hook?) so much news about Tesla, he would know by now how they operate. Prices change!!!!! Be damn sure that if the price went UP, he wouldn’t be getting his check book out to pay Tesla the difference.

The change sucks for those that paid, no doubt about it. But where was the time between announcement and details about how this would impact prior sales? No allowance for an answer to a reasonable question? His response, tweets, posting an entire article, etc. all happened so quickly that a guy like me, who follows Tesla news religiously, didn’t hear about the price change before I saw his rant/crybaby/entitled post. Ridiculous.

Worse is that when people started criticizing him for it, he UPDATED his article saying he was getting lots of “hate.” LOL. I’ll end with the same word I began with... wow.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

roguenode

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called Tesla and was told they are marking my account as wanting the refund and that Tesla is working to get the backend setup to see who wants refunds vs unlimited supercharging. Those that elect for the refund will receive a check. I was told they have no idea when that might be.

I wonder which will come first, a refund or my spoiler
:grinning:

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I called Tesla and was told they are marking my account as wanting the refund and that Tesla is working to get the backend setup to see who wants refunds vs unlimited supercharging. Those that elect for the refund will receive a check. I was told they have no idea when that might be.

I wonder which will come first, a refund or my spoiler
:grinning:
I just called the Tesla center where I picked up my car and they didn't seem to have a clue what I was referring to...probably still too early....but I told them to make a note that I would like to request the refund over the free supercharging.....a no brainer for me as I have a wall charger and don't plan to be taking the PM3 on road trips.......that is what my ICE car is for.....

By the way.....they still have no clue on when the spoiler and badge are expected.....I have been reading online that end of November or later is what is expected....we shall see!

RAS550

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I'm still wondering how this will effect those of us that ordered the car with PUP in the time frame to qualify for the free Super Charging but have not yet paid for the car or finalized the paperwork. Do we get both or still have to choose between the two offers?

I'll find out when my IDS gets back to me, more than likely Monday when she is back in the office. Will report my findings
I might have an answer today - ordered early to get free supercharging but taking delivery today. Not giving up free supercharging - I upgraded from non-P dual motor to P3 for supercharging. It will suck to have my car depreciate BEFORE delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.