Performance Model 3 is really MENTAL!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Assuming they stole it, yes, they’re driving it like they stole it :D:p:cool:
Yep, this is the car for me. :cool:
I'll be the exact opposite.

I drive a Leaf. I have to be careful of range in order to make my round-trip commute. I have to keep my speed down on the highway.

When I get my 3, I'm going to drive it like I stole it.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
If you’re wondering, that video is from the skidpad at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows,CA. It’s a popular bay area racetrack for SCCA and NASA racers, and for car clubs to rent for driving schools.

It’s also incredibly hot there in the summer, typically over 100F. I would imagine they’re testing the car on the big track, a 3.0 mile course with 15 turns. It’s pretty hard on brakes. The Model S P85D could only do about 4-5 laps there (2:12 per lap) before the battery would get too warm and the car would cut power about 30% to 50%. I would assume the Model 3 Performance has a cooling upgrade, a braking upgrade, and a regenerative clutch upgrade.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Regenerative braking has clutches. If the car is going faster and they want to use the motors to help stop it, they’d probably upgrade the clutches.

If the 18” wheels don’t fit, they probably are using a 355mm, 365mm, or 380mm front brake. The clutches would let them use the smaller brake.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yeah just reading now that regeneration is not active when the brake pedal is depressed. So it will probably need 380mm brakes.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
While I like large brakes, 380mm is HUGE and unnecessary
Totally agree.
Except for a few test stops to wear the brake pads in, I've hardly touched my brakes in the first 2400 miles. Regen does over 90% of the braking. For normal driving, the brakes are oversized. They are powerful enough to do two emergency haul-downs in a row from 80 mph without significant fade (I haven't tested them beyond that because I'll never need more brake than that. It's only on the track, with regen turned off, that the brakes can become heat soaked after a while and start to fade. If regen is left in the default position, the brakes will never fade in normal street driving.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
It’s 4100 pounds and probably makes over 600 HP. 380mm is not overkill. 6 pistons is a good idea.

Good details from Elon today about the performance model - suspension is lowered 10mm.

It’s 4100 pounds and probably makes over 600 HP. 380mm is not overkill. 6 pistons is a good idea.

Good details from Elon today about the performance model - suspension is lowered 10mm.

Agreed performance brakes are a no brainer on this performance 3 upgrade vehicle. The package proves to be an exceptional value at the $5k upgrade price point.

Although there are many everyday reasons to have performance brakes I believe Tesla upsized the brake system of the new Performance 3 Upgrade to match the increased power output as well as for enhanced stability and braking performance.

This configuration allows for a tougher but lightweight system and enables a more rapid response and release of the brakes even under extreme loads. The pedal travel should prove to be short and the biting point precise. The larger brake discs are also an improvement for wet braking and optimum cooling.
Imagine cruising down that dark isolated stretch of highway at night while having a braking event cause you to question those standard "software improved" brakes?