Performance Model 3 gets Free Supercharging! (was Tesla Referral Now Includes Performance Model 3)

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I updated the phone app this morning.
I was then able to log in, and after going through the Model 3 instructional videos, it showed me a loot box with my referral link.
Darn, must not be close for me. I just tried to login to the updated app and says. "no products currently associated with this account." :(

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Darn, must not be close for me. I just tried to login to the updated app and says. "no products currently associated with this account." :(
You may just need to keep trying. It was telling me that later this afternoon, but just now I managed to get in again.

That happened to me too, but I force-closed the app and tried again. After failing to log in about 3 times, it finally succeeded and I can once again see my loot box.

Both times, it took almost a minute for logging in to complete. My *guess* is that it's failing to check if we own a Tesla product already, timing out, and then letting us in by default.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was having a similar problem. I ended up deleting the App, and installing it again. I was then able to logon.

bluesolarflare

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
The app has been spotty all day it seems but I too do not have a VIN but could access the app without a car or product linked. It kicked me out after about 10 min and I had to keep trying to login before I was able to get back into the account. At that point I took a screenshot of my referral code because after a few minutes I got kicked and couldn’t log back in. Referral link still works though.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You may just need to keep trying. It was telling me that later this afternoon, but just now I managed to get in again.
I was having a similar problem. I ended up deleting the App, and installing it again. I was then able to logon.
The app has been spotty all day it seems but I too do not have a VIN but could access the app without a car or product linked. It kicked me out after about 10 min and I had to keep trying to login before I was able to get back into the account. At that point I took a screenshot of my referral code because after a few minutes I got kicked and couldn’t log back in. Referral link still works though.
I’ll keep trying here and there, but I still have 3 months on my long estimate, so not unlikely mine is still a ways off.

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
*gasp* *choke* *wheeze* I got logged in, and was able to see my code! Wow, tried so many times and finally worked right before I went to bed. Kind of like the night I ordered my car. Checked my account status one last time before I went to bed, and it said ready to configure (on Configuration Wednesday). Needless to say, didn't go to bed at that time, that night. o_O

LOL, OK, so if they allow me to add a referral to my order, do you guys think they will notice if I use my own code? :p ...no, seriously. :confused:

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I can think of a few tricks you could try to accomplish your goal, but I'm not sure how likely any of them will work. So, YMMV and proceed at your own risk.

• Definitely wait until the last day (Sept 16 IIRC) to order.
  • If you already have a reservation, don't use it. Cancel it. You'll want to place a brand-new order to maximize your time-until-delivery.
  • After placing the order, it's *possible* (but I don't know for sure) that you could adjust your ordered configuration at a later date and still keep the lifetime supercharging. Adjusting your config will probably push back your delivery date. I don't know how to confirm if you will keep lifetime supercharging after doing so - I don't necessarily trust Tesla sales advisers to provide a correct answer to the question. So this tactic has a risk associated with it.
  • When your car is ready for delivery, tell them you're on vacation for a month and can't accept it yet. We've seen that Tesla will give people ~10 days to get their car, otherwise they give that car to someone else and build a new one for you, which will push back your delivery date. I'm not sure how long you could continue to use this tactic to push off a delivery.
Two other points to consider:
  • How often are you going to use supercharging? It's not that expensive - probably about 1/5 the price of gas. If you're not going to use it often, it might not be worth the hassle.
  • Can you "create" additional tax burden for this year? If you have a 401k or IRA, move some of that money into a Roth 401k or TIRA. You'll be taxed on the money *this* year, and then not have to pay taxes when you take it out for retirement.
Thanks for getting back. After some thought it seems it just may work with taxes if I take purchase of the car this year given that we still have five months remaining. I sure hope so as, after test driving the Model 3 Performance, I'm not sure I could wait till next year anyway!! What an experience!

Wooloomooloo

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got the confirmation email from Tesla today stating this too:

Hi Mark,
We just added free, unlimited Supercharging to your Model 3 Performance.

In addition, you can also participate in the Tesla Referral Program and give unlimited Supercharging to five friends who purchase Model S, Model X or Model 3 Performance until September 16. From that point on, orders placed with a referral code will receive free Supercharging for one year instead of unlimited.
Share your referral code: xxxxxx
As a thank you, we’ll send you exclusive awards for your referrals—including a drivable Tesla Model S for Kids, a Signature Black Wall Connector, and an invitation to our next unveiling event. You can track your referrals through the Tesla App, or check out the full program details here.

Thank you for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

LoboMesa

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got the confirmation email from Tesla today stating this too:

Hi Mark,
We just added free, unlimited Supercharging to your Model 3 Performance.

In addition, you can also participate in the Tesla Referral Program and give unlimited Supercharging to five friends who purchase Model S, Model X or Model 3 Performance until September 16. From that point on, orders placed with a referral code will receive free Supercharging for one year instead of unlimited.
Share your referral code: xxxxxx
As a thank you, we’ll send you exclusive awards for your referrals—including a drivable Tesla Model S for Kids, a Signature Black Wall Connector, and an invitation to our next unveiling event. You can track your referrals through the Tesla App, or check out the full program details here.

Thank you for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.
I got it too, coincidentally right after I picked up my P3D, so I assumed the correlation represented causality. However, my account still shows pay-per-use supercharging for the car. I hope that gets updated soon!

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i didn't see anything definitive in this thread regarding adding a referral code to an existing(pre 8/1/18)order. Has anyone tried this yet? Were you successful and where did you go to add the code? I realize that adding a code gets me nothing, but I would like to help someone else. I e-mailed this question to the Tesla mothership, but so far no response. Thanks.

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I can think of a few tricks you could try to accomplish your goal (of delaying delivery),...
Good list. In addition, don't fill out and upload anything on the Tesla site. That will slow getting a VIN and hence the delivery process down.

i didn't see anything definitive in this thread regarding adding a referral code to an existing(pre 8/1/18)order...
A friend was told Tesla couldn't add a referral code to orders made before the date the referral program was made available to 3P orders. Not a definitive answer though.

Last edited:

thredge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i didn't see anything definitive in this thread regarding adding a referral code to an existing(pre 8/1/18)order. Has anyone tried this yet? Were you successful and where did you go to add the code? I realize that adding a code gets me nothing, but I would like to help someone else. I e-mailed this question to the Tesla mothership, but so far no response. Thanks.
I also sent that question in, and not response either.

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
P3D picked up in mid-August, my own referral credit was added manually by Tesla store manager later in August. Ordered wheels via the phone app lootbox a month or so ago.

However, the website in my account for that car didn't get updated to say "Free Unlimited Supercharging" until today. Charging was always free, but the website previously said "Pay per use Supercharging"...The screen in the car never had any information or charging sessions in the lower right corner, so it acted like I had free charging.

I had sent in a note or two about getting the website updated to reflect free supercharging, and it looks like it finally got changed...