Performance in Snow & Ice?

Country
Country
Hello All,

I have a Model 3 on order (I was late to the game, so it'll be a while).

I live in New England where winters can be quite harsh, with lots of snow and ice (and I have a steep driveway). I was wondering if anyone has any information on how the Model 3 handles in such situations. Should I go for the all wheel drive version or does the 3's intelligent handling make up for slippage?

I know the 3 in new, so maybe there isn't any info on its performance in winter conditions, so I'd be interested in other models' winter performance, as well.

Thanks!
james

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hello All,

I have a Model 3 on order (I was late to the game, so it'll be a while).

I live in New England where winters can be quite harsh, with lots of snow and ice (and I have a steep driveway). I was wondering if anyone has any information on how the Model 3 handles in such situations. Should I go for the all wheel drive version or does the 3's intelligent handling make up for slippage?

I know the 3 in new, so maybe there isn't any info on its performance in winter conditions, so I'd be interested in other models' winter performance, as well.

Thanks!
james
James welcome to the party!

Unfortunately I don’t think there is much information for you as the vast majority of the cars to date are in warm climates.

The good news is that test drives should be possible well before you have to make a decision!

Country
Country
James welcome to the party!

Unfortunately I don’t think there is much information for you as the vast majority of the cars to date are in warm climates.

The good news is that test drives should be possible well before you have to make a decision!
Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply!

I hope Tesla does such testing and can offer advice...can't wait to expand my Tesla family from panels and PowerWall to a vehicle, as well!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply!

I hope Tesla does such testing and can offer advice...can't wait to expand my Tesla family from panels and PowerWall to a vehicle, as well!
We did see some spy shots of an early release candidate testing overseas in winter conditions a few months back, so it does look like they’ll have solid data/feedback.

As an aside, you can definitey test drive the Model S to be a sense for things, but if I’m not mistaken they have now discontinued RWD from the Model S lineup.

Very cool to see the other products you already have as well!!

Country
Country
We did see some spy shots of an early release candidate testing overseas in winter conditions a few months back, so it does look like they’ll have solid data/feedback.

As an aside, you can definitey test drive the Model S to be a sense for things, but if I’m not mistaken they have now discontinued RWD from the Model S lineup.

Very cool to see the other products you already have as well!!
When I first ordered the M3, my delivery estimate was "early 2019," but then I sent customer service an email saying that I was already a Tesla customer with the panels and PowerWall and could that influence my delivery date. They never responded, but my delivery estimate changed to "late 2018" a week later. Of course, that's moot now with the latest delays.

The panels/PowerWall install was quite the ordeal. The power companies, apparently, are not fans of home batteries.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my delivery estimate changed to "late 2018" a week later. Of course, that's moot now with the latest delays.
The conviction is that the delay only has effect on deliveries in the slow start of the ramp up. That as soon as production is getting up to speed those months will dwindle to not more than a few days. And it has to get up to speed because otherwise production will never get off the ground to realise 400K cars

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The conviction is that the delay only has effect on deliveries in the slow start of the ramp up. That as soon as production is getting up to speed those months will dwindle to not more than a few days. And it has to get up to speed because otherwise production will never get off the ground to realise 400K cars
I don’t know if I fully agree. For instance if they can’t get past 5k cars a week for a while then they will always be 2-3 months behind until such time that they are out producing the backlog/demand.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Depends on the moment they reach 5K
And how fast they can double that.
If the current delay with the fabrication of the packs really is the only snag, it won't be that difficult. But if there are other problems, it might have a bigger effect.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been going back and forth on the whole RWD/AWD thing but my current thinking is to just get snow tires and get the first production. Recently I just learned about these new all weather tires. https://blog.caranddriver.com/all-weather-tires-explained-merging-all-seasons-and-winter-tires/ I have had the same Primacy MXM4 tires that the Model 3 comes with on my FWD Acura TL for the past 3 winters in Minneapolis. Its ok in the metro area because they do a pretty good job with the roads but not great on questionable roads. But according to Tire rack some of those All Weather tires look quite a bit better on snow and ice and good overall. Of course you might as well get winter tires if you're swapping.

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is the question.... as a fellow future 3 owner in the Twin Cities area, I struggle with First Production or waiting another 6-8 months for the AWD. All logic says wait, except the part of me that waited in line at the store overnight to be the second in the door and first out with a reservation. I don't need P, and frankly every other option that I would want (except maybe a sunroof) is in the First Production car.

The longer it gets towards Feb (my account says Dec - Feb), the more likely I am to wait for AWD.

Would like to get a real answer from Tesla here, but they always try to 'upgrade' me to the S or X (which I could do, but simply love the 3).

Let me know what you find out... and maybe time for a M3OC in MN get together.

JBsC6

Country
Country
I would suggest the awd would be best for the snowy regions of the northeast...

That's what I'm ordering and we only get 100 inches of snow each year or at least the last few years.

Why spend the kind of money the tesla costs and not get awd...

Of course if you buy snow tires and wheels for the winter months even rear wheel drive is quite capable. Still I personally would recommend awd.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
All logic says wait, except the part of me that waited in line at the store overnight to be the second in the door and first out with a reservation.
I wasn't able to get out of work that day to wait in line so I did it as fast as I could online. I totally understand the feeling when they gave the dates of the AWD and then the double whammy when you realize it may also mean less tax rebate.

Why spend the kind of money the tesla costs and not get awd...
:eek: You're right. I did the only logical thing. Get another reservation so I can get first production and AWD.

mbrucem

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That will likely be my plan... buy first production (who actually knows when that or the others will come) and then in 1-2 years either upgrade/trade it for the AWD P or the new Roadster (yes, seriously. i will be putting a reservation down on that as well). Or my kids get their VW Jetta upgraded...

8 month delay from Dec 17 - Feb 18 to Aug 18 - Oct 18.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Here's one data point of how the Model 3 handles in snow with 19" wheels and the stock all-season tires:

They will be posting a follow-up video with winter tires mounted.
LOVE this! Just awesome. Very timely for the season. Can’t wait to see the snow tire performance vid! The Model 3 handled very well. I don’t want to get into the snow tires are better than AWD debate because that has been beat to death so to speak ( on BOTH forums). That said seeing these conditions and my 180 mile round trip commute on twisty hilly elevation changing backroads as well as highway this reinforces my choice to hold out for AWD.
This car did extremely well on RWD all seasons albeit a ‘flat’ parking lot. It will be even better on AWD WITH Winter tires. Just Amazing. LOVE the slo-mo spinning Sport 19’s!!! Eye Candy!

Ski

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Here's one data point of how the Model 3 handles in snow with 19" wheels and the stock all-season tires:

They will be posting a follow-up video with winter tires mounted.
While this is intriguing, this is by no means a promotion of this approach... I liked how they said they on getting winter (aka ‘snow’ tires).

Winter tires, get winter tires in the winter!