Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Performance brakes (or not).

13K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Wooloomooloo 
#1 ·
So is the "base" Performance model without the Performance Upgrade going to have the same brakes as the standard RWD and AWD models?

#2 ·
We've had some discussion on that is this thread over here if you want to join in.
https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...e-happening-per-elon.6849/page-29#post-116685

Short version, we are leaning toward that the larger rotors will come with the Performance Model, and that the "Performance Brake Calipers" listed under the wheels of the Performance Upgrade package just means Performance Red. Hoping we can get some clarification on that some time though. One of the strongest arguments was that Larger Brake Rotors wasn't a separate definitive bullet point on the Performance Upgrade package, and if they were higher quality brakes they would have called more specific attention to that in the package. On the other side however, the Performance Model also does not state anything about different brakes that we have seen.

#4 ·
I hacked on the compositor to generate a couple of images at the highest resolution, one with 19" wheels and one with 20". Who knows if the compositor is even remotely accurate, but I found:

19":
rims 484px / 19in = 25.47 px/in
rotors 334px * 25.47 px/in = 13.11in (333mm)

20":
rims 507 px / 20in = 25.35 px/in
rotors 348 px * 25.35 px/in = 13.72in (349mm)

So, if you believe the images, the rotors are about 0.61" larger in diameter on the 20-inch wheels.

Oddly, an illusion makes it seem like they're much larger.

I've attached my images should anyone want to do their own analysis.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Does the Performance Model 3 without the Performance Upgrade option have the same larger brake rotors as with the 20 inch wheels? I had no luck answering this question by checking with Tesla sales folks I know, tweeting Elon, tweeting Tesla, etc. And Tesla's Model 3 sales phone is full, etc.

marusan's analysis above is useful, but may I ask you to try it with this actual photo of the first production PM3 coming off the assembly line?

Also if Sasha's analysis is correct: https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/product/mpp-page-mill-365mm-big-brake-kit/ and https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/gridlife-and-the-first-model-3-in-competition-worldwide/ the caliper probably makes much less difference to race track performance than the larger rotor. My bet is that the Performance Model 3 caliper is the same as standard, and the Performance Upgrade option caliper is also the same but red.

Folks should keep in mind that the larger rotor likely makes zero difference in street driving, but radically improves brake fade on the race track.

#10 ·
I called 3 different showrooms today that told me the $5,000 performance package adds different calipers that come on the standard performance model. I still don't know what to believe, but I thought I would share.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Tesla on the specifications for what comes on each model. Still waiting for official confirmation.

#11 ·
I called 3 different showrooms today that told me the $5,000 performance package adds different calipers that come on the standard performance model. I still don't know what to believe, but I thought I would share.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Tesla on the specifications for what comes on each model. Still waiting for official confirmation.
There's a strong possibility that the calipers are the same across all Model 3s, but a different red color for Performance.

Deeper dive: https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/product/mpp-page-mill-365mm-big-brake-kit/ and https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/gridlife-and-the-first-model-3-in-competition-worldwide/

The larger rotors make much more of a difference than the calipers, but generally ONLY for the race track.

#14 ·
Thanks @MelindaV

I see we all have the same question......regarding the 18" AERO wheels will fit the Performance MODEL 3 with Performance upgrade (bigger rotors and RED calipers).

Another concern I have is even if they fit, it would be very close......meaning the clearance between the caliper and the wheel rims that I am afraid small rocks can get stuck in between and damage it pretty badly.

Reactions: MelindaV
#15 ·
Guys, why is this B.S. still floating around?

The $5k Performance upgrade adds larger rotors. It was CONFIRMED by earlier versions of the owner's manual where they gave the specs for the larger rotors. It was CONFIRMED because 18" wheels DO NOT fit on the $5k Performance upgrade cars. Tesla has confirmed this to many customers. Please stop B.S.ing that both cars have the same rotors. They do not.

#16 ·
Guys, why is this B.S. still floating around?
Because you're replying to posts made OVER A MONTH AGO. Check the dates. Yes, we've obtained updated information since then.
Tesla has confirmed this to many customers.
I've been misled too often by well-meaning but incorrectly-informed Tesla sales staff to simply accept anything that they say without confirming it elsewhere.
Please stop B.S.ing that both cars have the same rotors. They do not.
You need to clarify:
  • AWD appears to use the same exact rotors and calipers as RWD.
  • Performance without the upgrade package also appears to use the same exact rotors and calipers as RWD.
For Performance with the Performance Upgrade package:
  • The rear rotors are the same diameter as on the other vehicles (335mm). It may still be a different rotor, but the diameter is the same.
  • The rear caliper is definitely larger, and appears to be the reason why 18s won't fit.
  • The front rotors are larger than on the other vehicles (355mm vs 320mm)
Reference: Model 3 Owner's Manual, page 140

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.