Performance and dual motor are happening (per Elon)!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, it sounds like the Standard AWD and Performance AWD are both equipped with the exact same front and rear motor configuration, that being an AC induction in the front and permanent magnet in the rear. With the only difference (in motors) being that the Performance motors are sorted for highest output and receive double burn-in. That just sounds a bit strange to me. Is there really that much of a performance difference in the manufacturing process? I would have guessed smaller motors in the Standard AWD. Makes me think the Standard AWD will have much better acceleration than is currently advertised.

Last edited:

Zippo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, it sounds like the Standard AWD and Performance AWD are both equipped with the exact same front and rear motor configuration, that being an AC induction in the front and permanent magnet in the rear. With the only difference (in motors) being that the Performance motors are sorted for highest output and receive double burn-in. That just sounds a bit strange to me. Is there really that much of a performance difference in the manufacturing process? I would have guessed smaller motors in the Standard AWD. Makes me think the Standard AWD will have much better acceleration than is they are currently advertised.
Same motors but they'll use software to limit the performance of the AWD non-performance vehicles.

pjfw8

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
So, it sounds like the Standard AWD and Performance AWD are both equipped with the exact same front and rear motor configuration, that being an AC induction in the front and permanent magnet in the rear. With the only difference (in motors) being that the Performance motors are sorted for highest output and receive double burn-in. That just sounds a bit strange to me. Is there really that much of a performance difference in the manufacturing process? I would have guessed smaller motors in the Standard AWD. Makes me think the Standard AWD will have much better acceleration than is they are currently advertised.
Perhaps this is analogous to the Model S and X Performance versus Ludicrous options. Same motors but upgraded electronics (contactors etc.)

summerfun

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
At 5% "more" range as per their claim I have to agree. Driving methods, temps and elevation are just easy pickings to name that counter any gains in that department. Just be glad the range isn't really negatively affected.
As someone waiting on the sidelines for a lease return Tesla Model S, I'm still unclear what Model 3 P buyers are getting for $28,000? Dual motors, $5,000. wheels $1,500, paint color choice $1,000. Black and white interior...guess the white headliner will make sense now. But $20,500 for about a second faster 0-60? What am I missing here?

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
As someone waiting on the sidelines for a lease return Tesla Model S, I'm still unclear what Model 3 P buyers are getting for $28,000? Dual motors, $5,000. wheels $1,500, paint color choice $1,000. Black and white interior...guess the white headliner will make sense now. But $20,500 for about a second faster 0-60? What am I missing here?
Performance costs money. I've seen people put more than that into their ICE cars for a lot less return!

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think you’ve asked the same question 4 times. You’re not missing anything.

You’ve gotta pay to play.

Zippo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If you want the "best" you will pay a huge premium.

AWD is the best bang for the buck IMO.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
But $20,500 for about a second faster 0-60? What am I missing here?
First, you're missing the upgraded electronics, the upgraded brakes, the upgraded wheels and tires. Much like the Model S P100D became the king of the dragstrip, the Model 3 P is going to be a track monster.

But also, saying "one-second faster" is a bit deceiving. It doesn't give you a sense for how much harder the car is accelerating.
0-60mph in 4.5s requires an average acceleration of 5.96m/s²
0-60mph in 3.5s requires an average acceleration of 7.66m/s²
That's a 29% increase in average acceleration rate.

SolarPro

Country
Country
If you want the "best" you will pay a huge premium.

AWD is the best bang for the buck IMO.
I agree with this... until the review videos come out and change my mind:) I am convincing myself to just get AWD and put a few touches on it to make it look sportier. Looks like I have at least a few months to make up my mind since I’m already invited to configure LR. Hang in there, tax credit!!!

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Very much doubt that.
------------------------------------
Edited: Yes, you totally can. The process has two parts: "Craigslist" and "Placing a new reservation". Probably costs more than $5k, though, and the wait time is killer ;)
I think the cheap upgrade for those with First Production Model 3 is to spend $2,000 on a set of winter tires and wheels.
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/produc...3-18_-aero-wheel-and-winter-tire-package.html

True, AWD can yield better 0-60 times and overall handling, but for me, winter tires will be the cheap upgrade when I need more traction in winter.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think the cheap upgrade for those with First Production Model 3 is to spend $2,000 on a set of winter tires and wheels.
https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/produc...3-18_-aero-wheel-and-winter-tire-package.html

True, AWD can yield better 0-60 times and overall handling, but for me, winter tires will be the cheap upgrade when I need more traction in winter.
This is based on the concept that most people who live in northern climes don't already put winter tires on in the winter.

You'll get ticketed here if you drive with summer tires on in the winter. Our main problem is just the opposite, people putting on too extreme of winter tires (studded) when they don't need them (aka, city dwellers), and needlessly eating up the roads and causing PM emissions. We actually have to ban studded tires between certain dates, and enforce the ban, to get people to take them off. I'd like to see them go even further and make it so that having studded tires requires a permit that you have to apply for - in the process providing evidence that you regularly travel in the countryside in the winter.

The issue is not "winter tires vs. AWD". It's "winter tires and RWD vs. winter tires and AWD".

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
First, you're missing the upgraded electronics, the upgraded brakes, the upgraded wheels and tires. Much like the Model S P100D became the king of the dragstrip, the Model 3 P is going to be a track monster.

But also, saying "one-second faster" is a bit deceiving. It doesn't give you a sense for how much harder the car is accelerating.
0-60mph in 4.5s requires an average acceleration of 5.96m/s²
0-60mph in 3.5s requires an average acceleration of 7.66m/s²
That's a 29% increase in average acceleration rate.
You know, given that acceleration isn't linear, I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least some point in there where the Model 3 LR-P (is that the name?) beats 1G :) Should at least come close.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Status
Not open for further replies.