Performance 3 at SCCA Cal Club AutoX - March 3 2019

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • Please post your personal videos into a single thread to keep things organized. Thanks
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Took 1st place in B-street today at a local SCCA AutoX event. First time driving on the new wheel/tire combo (19x8.5 +35 VMR V804 with 225/40 Bridgestone RE-71Rs).

Tire shoulder wear is still a problem but not nearly as bad as with the factory wheel/tire combo. I might try running a little higher pressure at the next event but already running at 52psi.

Oyster Bait

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Congrats! Do you mind sharing the times of the top three in your class?

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It appears you have experience! Can you describe the differences between driving a P3D and a conventional car? How much does regen substitute for friction braking? How much of the advantage comes from raw power, or the dual motors?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It appears you have experience! Can you describe the differences between driving a P3D and a conventional car? How much does regen substitute for friction braking? How much of the advantage comes from raw power, or the dual motors?
First off, the car is incredibly quiet which is very un-racing like. Compared with conventional cars, the most noticeable difference is how immediate the power comes on. Not necessarily in the amount of power but how responsive the power is (no need to wait for throttle inputs, engine to do its things, etc.). Another major benefit is not needing to focus on gear shifts or keeping an engine within its power band. The car also hides its weight very well. It is incredibly heaving compared to cars it is going against but the way it handles/drives feels more like a car in the mid 3k lbs range. One draw back is the weight and the toll it will likely take on the tires. The first event I took it to, it destroyed the stock PS4 tires (2 required replacing, the other 2 have a little life still). Tire wear is still TBD as the new wheel/tire combo only has 1x event on them.

Regen does nothing noticeable for racing since if you plan to slow, you plan to utilize 100% braking power in most situations (far from what regen offers).

As for advantage, raw torque from any speed is the car's biggest advantage for corner exit in racing. Currently, the car is classed in B-Street for the SCCA. I have a feeling that the car will get reclassed next year since I see this car taking 1st place for this class for the year. The only higher classes for stock vehicles are AS and SS. I think the P3D will fair well in AS and maybe even SS.