Official Pedestrian warning system retrofits now available !

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank God my 2019 does NOT qualify! I wouldn't get it even if it was free! :)

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank God my 2019 does NOT qualify! I wouldn't get it even if it was free! :)

A 2019 would already have the PWS…

My July 2018 model definitely doesn’t qualify. No speaker, and wrong wire harness, so no PWS, and they can’t make me take one without significant cost and labor time to Tesla.

I kind of like having no PWS now that I discovered it fascinates newer Tesla drivers how mine doesn’t make any noise while backing up.

Reactions: garsh

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
i got a mysterious request to book a mobile appointment where they need access to the car but only exteriour access for 30 minutes. It has to be related to this foolishness.

If it is a mandated retrofit then say so. but the cloak and dagger in my other thread is unnecessary.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If it is a mandated retrofit then say so. but the cloak and dagger in my other thread is unnecessary.

I hope it's not because of a new retroactive PWS requirement, because then the cheering about having a pre-Dec-2018 model and not having to do it might turn into a groan when those of us in that category get a recall letter telling us that we have to leave our car at a service center for a day or two for a new wiring harness and speaker install...

Moments like these make me glad that in the U.S, at least, precent has held solid that the Feds can't require older car owners to add new required safety equipment at their own expense.

Anyway, if someone can, please let me know what the service call is for before May 10th - I have a windshield replacement appt at Tesla then. If the car is going to have to be stuck at the SC for a day anyway, they may as well fix any recalls/urgent bulletins that popped up in the last week or so, so I don't have to go back a 2nd time for it.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I hope it's not because of a new retroactive PWS requirement
Don't worry - that won't happen.

Safety requirements only ever apply to new cars - older cars that don't meet new safety requirements are always grandfathered in. Otherwise we'd be adding third brake lights and airbags to classic 60s muscle cars. :D

• Agree
Reactions: littlD and iChris93

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
up here in Canada, things may - or may not - be different with regards to enforcement of new regs :)

I remember when third eye brake lights came out there was a huge industry in retrofit kits. I don't remember if they were mandated or not, but everyone and their uncle was getting retro fitted on their cars. It may have been an insurance pressure and not mandated. That might have been the case.

regardless, this mobile service may just be checking out the possibility of the retrofit being done as my car is on the cusp of "before Dec 2018".

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I remember when third eye brake lights came out there was a huge industry in retrofit kits. I don't remember if they were mandated or not, but everyone and their uncle was getting retro fitted on their cars. It may have been an insurance pressure and not mandated. That might have been the case.
I remember all those kits too. It wasn't mandated, and insurance didn't care if your car had the third brake light either. It was just people buying them who either thought it was a good idea to add it, or just wanted to make it look like they owned one of the newer cars that came with it.

• Agree
Reactions: mrau

Dublin3

Country
Country
Don’t want to be a hater, but I would never want this. In fact if mine had it, I’d pay the $200 to get it removed 😂😂😂
Opportunity - find all the owners who have it and don't want it, and get them to sell it to those that do for $100...

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don't worry - that won't happen.

Safety requirements only ever apply to new cars - older cars that don't meet new safety requirements are always grandfathered in. Otherwise we'd be adding third brake lights and airbags to classic 60s muscle cars. :D

That's kind of a grey area though, because if the govt can prove that it was required at the time the first cars were produced, that could lead to a non-voluntary recall. It could also happen as a result of an agreement between either a state or Fed govt and Tesla.

But I probably shouldn't assume it's related to PWS at all, because the news probably would have caught on to it. The news wouldn't care if Tesla is on a campaign to install new deadfront pins to stop people from breaking supercharging stations, or replace a large batch of charge port doors they suspect will become inoperational soon.

Reactions: Kizzy

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'll try that once I get retrofitted. My appt got bumped back to the 21st waiting on parts.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don’t want to be a hater, but I would never want this. In fact if mine had it, I’d pay the $200 to get it removed 😂😂😂

I said the same thing till a buddy of mine pulled up in his Y and made the cool Star Trek noises when backing up. Now I want it!!! Too bad I bought mine in March of 2019 :-(

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I said the same thing till a buddy of mine pulled up in his Y and made the cool Star Trek noises when backing up. Now I want it!!! Too bad I bought mine in March of 2019 :-(

Was just coming back to say we’ll see if I eat my words. I just ordered a 2021 to replace my 2018 today…

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Has anyone got the retrofit yet? I got an estimate for mine (scheduled for Friday) and they added a replacement for the refrigerant pressure/temperature sensor and are estimating it for $0. Wouldn't that be nice?

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Has anyone got the retrofit yet? I got an estimate for mine (scheduled for Friday) and they added a replacement for the refrigerant pressure/temperature sensor and are estimating it for $0. Wouldn't that be nice?
Middy's appt is the 21st waiting on PWS parts. My estimate is correct at $200 plus tax. Of course no charge for HVAC sensors, service bulletin covered by warranty.

jdr93@

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
during weekend past parked next to a new M3. while waiting to enter the market the 3 backed out of it's space. the warning noise it was playing was both pleasant and obvious to anyone nearby. not loud, not obnoxious the way a construction vehicle has to be.

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I'm very much looking forward to customizing my sounds. Trying to decide if I want TARDIS noises to match my blue car, or theme music from Firefly to match its name, Serenity.

ECTO-1

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I took delivery on June 10th 2019. I wonder if I have the wiring? Is there an easy way to tell? I don't remember the holes in the underside the last time I was looking.

Hmmmm....

ECTO-1

AutopilotFan

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
The simplest way is to go to your car, open the Toybox, and see if you have Boombox. If you don't, then your car doesn't think it has a pedestrian warning speaker. My Model Y was made in May 2020 and does NOT have the speaker.