Official Pedestrian warning system retrofits now available !

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Technoking
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
🚨 BREAKING: Pedestrian warning system speaker retrofits available for certain Model 3s made after July 5 2019 through September 9 2020 as this period represents the timing of when the wiring harness was included but not the speaker (all Model 3s built since early September 2020 have the speaker already installed) . Model Ys built before August 14 2020 also qualify.

I’m told the cost is $200US and must be done via service visit or mobile, not by the user as the car config must be updated by a tech in order for the car to recognize it.

Refer to Tesla SI-21-90-001 when you make an appointment to have it installed for reference.

This allows for use of the new Boombox feature in V10 as well.

(post edited for clarity on time frames and why)
AEFDF8A8-5C26-4CA5-A8A5-60D6683AADDB.jpeg

Last edited:

LeoT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well I installed mine for around 50USD in matter of minutes…(I bought the speaker from Tesla directly) And it made a sound after rebooting the car.
Boombox was not working but that’s due to German law (I’m living in Germany). Boombox is not available here yet… So it just made the AVAS sounds…
Maybe Tesla will change that, so that a software thing is required to use the speaker… That would be odd….
Im driving a Model 3 of March 2020

• Informative
Reactions: DocScott

jimmymc

🚨 BREAKING: Pedestrian warning system speaker retrofits available for certain Model 3s made after June 5 2019 - September 9 2020. Model Y before August 14 2020.

I’m told the cost is $200US and must be done via service visit or mobile, not by the user as the car config must be updated by a tech in order for the car to recognize it. Also, the wiring harness must be present.

Refer to Tesla SI-21-90-001 when you make an appointment to have it installed for reference.

This allows for use of the new Boombox feature in V10 as well.
View attachment 38263
Woohoo! I’m in if it makes it to the UK, but the dates might be tight for me (delivery end of Sept. ‘19)

Steef

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Here is mine on diy !
It is a french video but you can easily understand how it works with pictures .
😉
Tesla Model 3 et mon avertisseur piéton : ma Boombox DIY !

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It is taking them six months to determine that you need to add a speaker and a cable for a speaker to work. So my 2018 had the space for the speaker, newer ones had the cable but no speaker, what is Tesla doing? They knew this was coming. Why has it taking them so long to determine what a retrofit would take, and how much it will cost. But they won’t release it to third-party people to make the little cable and crappy speaker. I don’t know if I want it but I don’t think anyone does because we don’t really know what it does but more importantly what is functionality will be. I do surprise some pedestrian sometimes and they are in the way because they don’t hear me, a pleasant sound might be helpful. More importantly, even if you don’t care about farts, which I can understand, it might have some great advance sentry benefits. Also in an emergency, what about the ability to talk to somebody standing outside your car when you are remote. It is typical undefined tesla technology. This creates the fantasy uncertainty and doubt. It also creates a lot discord in the forum because people have very different levels of expectations of what the product should do.

The reason we don’t have it in our older vehicles is because Elon love the quietness of an EV and thought it was regulators trying to make it make noise to be similar two ice vehicle. His ego did not let him think maybe this could be a handy safety feature that we could make cool. This caused the delay in features and safety, but ego was protected

Your tesla will continue to get better, and actually be an investment as long as it is built past a certain date, or you live in a certain area, Or if the regulators weren’t difficult, and if the board of directors weren’t focus profit and the media was nice and another car manufacturers didn’t exist

I’m sure not having it does not affect the resale value at all. Why in the world would somebody purchasing your used vehicle want to have the latest technology. They will see the value of old technology and maybe even pay a premium

Last edited:

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Don’t want to be a hater, but I would never want this. In fact if mine had it, I’d pay the $200 to get it removed 😂😂😂
If anyone has a newer model that has this installed and is a hater, I would be glad to pay to have it professionally removed and buy you a nice pair of noise canceling headphones

NR4P

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would rather have the warning sound vs driving in parking lots and having to hit the horn so people will know I am coming down the lane. Love the quiet car but its self defeating when I have to hit the horn or drive at 2mph behind walkers. 2018 so no soup for me.

skygraff

re member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would rather have the warning sound vs driving in parking lots and having to hit the horn so people will know I am coming down the lane. Love the quiet car but its self defeating when I have to hit the horn or drive at 2mph behind walkers. 2018 so no soup for me.

Hate to break it to you but that happens with ICE cars too. No matter what the regulators think, an EV is no quieter than a modern, properly tuned, ICE at such low speeds. Tire noise is equal and, from my anecdotal experience, louder than ICE sounds (unless the pedestrian is sitting on your hood - wouldn’t be a pedestrian anymore, technically).

Oh, and, in my opinion, a few horn toots in a parking lot do not defeat the overall benefit of a quiet car. As somebody who lives next to an alley and a major road or two, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been rudely overwhelmed by echoing “tuned” exhaust. Aside from the safety argument made by motorcyclists who think it might make car/truck drivers notice them (too bad the ICE sounds are louder inside cars/trucks), I’ve never understood the love of loud exhaust.

Last edited:

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've found that the most scary human obstacles are wearing some kind of earbuds so unless whatever car is coming up behind them is LOUD they just are oblivious

• Agree
Reactions: bcamp83 and garsh

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
1980 should sue Tesla for even calling it a boombox. Where is the boom? It is just a annoying little crappy speaker. It should be minimal stereo, and I actually serve as an external sound if you’re going to call it a boombox. I think I might just get one of these inflatable ones and keep in my glove compartment. The same functionality.

9F65881A-199A-4F3F-A1D4-B0F5F3EAA0BE.jpeg
0406409F-25E8-4D99-9A24-A54AF4DEC08B.jpeg

Madmolecule

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've found that the most scary human obstacles are wearing some kind of earbuds so unless whatever car is coming up behind them is LOUD they just are oblivious
This is a constant, not an obstacle or an excuse. The car should use their AI to see pedestrians and not only play sounds at various volumes based on assessed threat but flash lights to get there attention. If Tesla could trust their AI, they could only omit the sound at low speed when pedestrians, or animals are detected.

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This is a constant, not an obstacle or an excuse. The car should use their AI to see pedestrians and not only play sounds at various volumes based on assessed threat but flash lights to get there attention. If Tesla could trust their AI, they could only omit the sound at low speed when pedestrians, or animals are detected.

The only pedestrians I've ever been in danger of running over were landscapers with leaf blowers who absolutely can't hear anything, and people in parking lots who see me just fine, but intentionally walk down the middle of the aisle.

Reactions: TomT and bcamp83

Poncherelly

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
Although I trust TESLA could do this, it's not TESLA that made this noise maker law. For some reason once again governments need to protect us against Darwinism. How many people get hit by ice cars today? Why not make a law to warn people when an ice car drives by? It's obvious engine noise isnt enough.

Then those same government officials make laws that my sport bike exhaust is too loud, but the Harley with the baffles removed gets a pass.

End of rant :)

Last edited:

bcamp83

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
One of the best parts of the car is how quiet it is. I don't want it. I'd love to play music/sounds on demand though. Does boombox constantly make sound? If it isn't an always used option, then I might be game to play with boombox.

Reactions: TomT

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.