Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Passenger window goes down on its own

41K views 102 replies 59 participants last post by  Power Surge 
#1 ·
Today I had an odd occurrence. I got in my car and heard/noticed the front passenger side window dropped an inch as if that door was opened (it wasn’t). Has anyone experienced that?

Note the window went up via the switch without issue.

Reactions: mcgahajem
#35 ·
To update everyone, I brought it in for servicing on Jan. 5, my Servicing Statement said the following:

Correction: Window Motor/Regulator Assembly - Front

The following part was replaced:

M3 INTEVA FR LH WINDOW REGULATOR (1096620-00-F)
Was very happy with the service appointment, got an ICE loaner for the day, some crazy Mercedes truck. Was glad to get my 3 back!

#38 ·
I was going to make a thread titled “Sleepy Window” but it seems similar to all of this.

Several times recently I notice after leaving work it seems noisy. So reflexively I pull on the window switches. The front passenger window rolls up. Huh? I think. Why was that window open?

Today I had an epiphany. At lunch, I will often sit in the car and eat my ‘bento box.’. Radio, comfy seats, coolness. I sit in the passenger seat because Steering Wheel, and I leave the door ajar because Warm Sun. And after about a half hour, the radio turns off and the screen goes to sleep. Resisting the urge to follow suit, I dawdle a few more minutes, get out, close the door, walk around, and return to work.

I’m wondering if the window-raising business has taken a siesta along with the display. Surely this sub-system could be kept awake and alert to perform its duties?

#41 ·
Just had this happen to me for probably the third time. A neighbor came by this morning to tell me the passenger window was down. Outside of it being a serious security issue (I park on the street and we have a fair number of car prowls), it was raining most of the night so the car has significant moisture inside. Now I have to worry about mildew.

#46 ·
Finally called Tesla support. They checked the data and noted a "water ingress fault" with the window actuator. They are sending mobile service to replace the actuator. But now I'm curious as to how water got in there in the first place. Leaky window seals could be a problem here in rainy (and now sub-freezing) Seattle...

#42 ·
I had this happen to my rear passenger window about 3 times. One of them discovered after heavy rainfall and and a soaked rear foot well and seat. I also had a malfunction of right front passenger seat controls. Took to service center and they replaced a wiring harness located above right front passenger seat in roof liner. No issues since then. Work taking to service center for repair.

#43 ·
It happened to my passenger window the first time during parking under rainfall yesterday. The passenger seat was soaked and an error message showed up on the screen at driving route. I wiped the water later and opened widows overnight to let it dry. The error message is still on today. I turned on the seat heater for about 30 minutes during driving, and the error is gone.

#55 ·
Second event now, same passenger front window, but very cold dry conditions rather than the ice rain of last time. Wish there was a way to collate all our data with the prevailing conditions to highlight the extent of this issue to Tesla.

When raising the window it immediately dropped again when it reached the top almost like a bounce, but might have just been me with my finger hovering on the control button. I’m wondering though if sensor that drops closing windows when something is in the way is triggered in some way when the vehicle occasionally wakes up.

#61 ·
Interesting, so the window motor never made a sound? Did the window just slowly slide down into the door until you noticed?

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but is the first reported instance of this happening while driving?
If it made a sound, I didn't hear it (which isn't surprising since it would have happened while I was driving. The window only fell about an inch, so it was kind of hidden by the curve of the headliner. I only noticed what had happened because I had to look to my right to make a turn and saw water droplets on the B pillar.

Reactions: Bokonon
#63 ·
I used to have this happen with my MB GLA250. First I thought my daughter has left it down, but it happened again when no one was previously in the passenger seat.
Only seemed to happen when it rained. I found driving around with the AC, heat and seat heaters on did the best job of drying out the car.
I suspected water was messing with the switch but the dealer didn’t find anything.

#64 ·
I took delivery of my M3 on Dec 1 and since then have had 4 occasions where I came out to the car and found one of the passenger side windows was rolled down a couple of inches. I didn't have a passenger with me when I parked the car, so I know it wasn't accidentally left down by someone but that it happend randomly while parked. I've read several posts in the various Model 3 forums that others have had this same issue but I haven't yet seen a definitive solution. I've emailed Tesla support but while I'm waiting, I wonder if someone can let me know if they've gotten resolution on this? I live in rainy Seattle so it's concerning! BTW: I've tried doing a soft reboot of the computer and that didn't help. Thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.