Passenger window goes down on its own

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have noticed a couple of times that my passenger side window isn't tightly closed (hear wind noise or see a bit of water coming in. Didn't think much of it until I got in the drivers door today and saw the passenger side window come down an inch, and stay there. Has anyone else had this?
Car is a SR+ M3, about 2 weeks old. I was not travelling with a passenger on this trip, and never opened the passenger door.
There have been sporadic reports of windows (especially the front passenger side one) lowering for no apparent reason. See some of the posts above, I've merged your post into the thread devoted to this topic.

It has happened to me once, and I noticed it the same way you did, from unusual wind noise while driving. Because it was just a one-off incident (possibly because I rarely have anyone in the front passenger seat), I haven't thought to contact Tesla service about it. However, if it happens to you frequently, it may be worth investigating. They'll probably recommend recalibrating the window motor first, and then replace it if the issue persists.

As for the driver's side window, I've found that it's not too difficult to accidentally bump the window switch while opening the door. That has happened to me a couple of times as well.

VanIsleGuy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for moving my thread. I did search before posting but didn't find this one. Good to know it isn't just me, I'll keep an eye on it and see how frequently it happens. Hopefully it is something that gets fixed via update.

Tmo6

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My passenger front window was also mysteriously down today! Called Tesla service Indianapolis, that said it was probably window regulator (but I wonder if it is software) and he said they'd replace the regulator.

This is TOTALLY not cool...
On 2019.9 TM3 LR RWD

Tmo6

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Today, the tech came out and replaced the "driver's side door window control" to fix this problem with the passenger window. Fingers crossed!

Maxx77

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
They finally replaced a part in my passenger door. I wish I'd gotten a receipt from them stating exactly what the name of the part was, but they've never given me a receipt for repairs in the past. It's a little weird they don't do that. I didn't even realize until after this work was done. In any case, the window hasn't rolled down on me yet and it's been raining for the last two days, so that's an encouraging sign. The tech was certain that whatever the part was, that would fix this specific issue.

Defjukie

Country
Country
They finally replaced a part in my passenger door. I wish I'd gotten a receipt from them stating exactly what the name of the part was, but they've never given me a receipt for repairs in the past. It's a little weird they don't do that. I didn't even realize until after this work was done. In any case, the window hasn't rolled down on me yet and it's been raining for the last two days, so that's an encouraging sign. The tech was certain that whatever the part was, that would fix this specific issue.
I always get an email whenever service is performed on my car. Maybe your email account isn't linked for some reason?

Maxx77

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I always get an email whenever service is performed on my car. Maybe your email account isn't linked for some reason?
Interesting. They send me the service appointment reminder emails, but that's it. I'll check with them to see what's up with that.

Tzoid

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Did anybody that had the actuators replaced, have the problem repeat? Happened to me last month once and now 2 in 2 days.

VanIsleGuy

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Reporting back, I haven't noticed the issue since my post above. Perhaps they did something in one of the updates. Now that we are into sunny weather not as big a deal, but hopefully it doesn't come back when the rain hits again.

Jason F

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had the same issue a while back. It also caused the window to not drop down occasionally and damage the chrome trim. This happened on both passenger side doors. They replaced a module and chrome and it never happened again. So it is something they know how to fix.

prodba

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
This has happened to me a couple of times. My wife got out of the car, after she shut the passenger door, the passenger window rolled all the way down. Seems like it's a bug.

bsunny

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have found my rear passenger window down slightly (an inch or two) a few times recently. (I have updated software during that time and am now on v2019.32 9d0d19a, FWIW.)
I have thought it could be me leaning on button as I opened my drivers door and exited, but not sure. Seems to be a random occurrence but decided I’d document it here since I saw another poster with open window problem.

At the very least, I’d like a setting to optionally be notified when a window is open when car is locked.

Maybe (not sure) also a setting to prevent accidental bumping of window switches opening windows? It does seem too easy to do, or is it just me?

Note that I have had my car almost a year. Back last fall, I noticed this happened a few times also, and I think others did around that time also. I had not noticed it happening again until recently. That’s the only indication I have that it may not be my bumping the switch, but some other anomaly.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When it happened to me, they found an issue with a wiring harness under front passenger seat and replaced it. No problem since. So, it is unlikely to be a software issue and you should book a service appointment to fix.

bsunny

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When it happened to me, they found an issue with a wiring harness under front passenger seat and replaced it. No problem since. So, it is unlikely to be a software issue and you should book a service appointment to fix.
Thanks! Helpful info, Dan! I’ll do that if it happens one more time. (Would be great if it could be mobile service.)

afranco2

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There is a fix... to reset height limits in computer
Step 1. Raise the window all the way and hold the button for a couple of seconds.
Step 2. Lower the window all the way and hold for a couple of seconds
Step 3. Repeat step 1.

Worked for me.

Jason F

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
There is a fix... to reset height limits in computer
Step 1. Raise the window all the way and hold the button for a couple of seconds.
Step 2. Lower the window all the way and hold for a couple of seconds
Step 3. Repeat step 1.

Worked for me.
I had tried that but it didn't work. Still had occasional occurrences. After they replaced the body control module, it hasn't happened in a year.